Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fwb300s springs

Fwb300s springs

I think I’ve found out why my fwb was only making low (and variable) 500s : https://i.imgur.com/56Q3pev.jpg

(Actually that was only half the reason. This was the other half: https://i.imgur.com/LgoLf6Y.jpg. But I’ve sorted that out)

Does anyone have experience of the replacement springs sold by John knibbs please, or any other suggestions for replacement 300s springs? Many thanks.
    Morally flawed

I bought the standard service kit from Waffen-center Gotha. All seems to be of excellent quality.

Quote Originally Posted by Nikkormat View Post
    I bought the standard service kit from Waffen-center Gotha. All seems to be of excellent quality.
    I wonder if they will still ship to the uk post Brexit
    Morally flawed

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Cornelius View Post
    I wonder if they will still ship to the uk post Brexit
    No reason why they wouldn't IMO. I suppose there's a chance you'll be hit with some sort of duty by customs though? Are there tariffs on manufactured goods?

I think the WG double spring kits are FWB originals. Superb quality.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

I see WG is selling single spring kits for the 300S that it is calling 'stark' (ie extra powerful), for export. It would be interesting to see what power they develop.

Maccari in the US sells a single 300S spring that makes more power than the standard double springs. I vaguely remember reading they produce 50fps or so more, but not more than that, without making the firing cycle any harsher.

Alistair (Hsing-ee) fitted a Maccari spring into one of my FWB 150s many years ago and it was a bit more powerful than before, but I think he had a tough time getting it into the cylinder.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

Quote Originally Posted by Garvin View Post
    No reason why they wouldn't IMO. I suppose there's a chance you'll be hit with some sort of duty by customs though? Are there tariffs on manufactured goods?

I think the WG double spring kits are FWB originals. Superb quality.
    There’s some problem that they have to charge uk vat and pay it to uk hmrc unless it’s over £135, which apparently a lot of places can’t be bothered with.

I suppose I can ask. I can get it sent to an address in Eire if not.

I want to keep it factory if possible because I’ll be moving it on as I need the space
    Morally flawed

I see WG is selling single spring kits for the 300S that it is calling 'stark' (ie extra powerful), for export. It would be interesting to see what power they develop.
    I asked about these on here a few years ago. Post #6 from wonky donky put me off the idea of a non-standard spring. I would be tempted by the stepped piston ring though; I know nothing about physics or engineering, but it looks like a potential improvement on the original.

...im sure ive got a new one,ill check now,back soon

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration

Maccari in the US sells a single 300S spring that makes more power than the standard double springs. I vaguely remember reading they produce 50fps or so more, but not more than that, without making the firing cycle any harsher.

Alistair (Hsing-ee) fitted a Maccari spring into one of my FWB 150s many years ago and it was a bit more powerful than before, but I think he had a tough time getting it into the cylinder.
    I don't think I managed to get the Maccari spring in, the one that fitted and is in there is a slightly shortened HW50 Mk I spring (I think), a couple of coils taken off. I think it was doing 7 fpe which is not bad for 'one of they target riffles'.

Thanks to mick replacement springs are on their way to me
    Morally flawed

Thanks to mick replacement springs are on their way to me
    your welcome

Quote Originally Posted by Hsing-ee View Post
    I don't think I managed to get the Maccari spring in, the one that fitted and is in there is a slightly shortened HW50 Mk I spring (I think), a couple of coils taken off. I think it was doing 7 fpe which is not bad for 'one of they target riffles'.
    No, I think you did get it in eventually - at least that's what you said at the time. If you didn't, you owe me the Maccari spring back please.

Only kidding, i don't really care any more.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery

For interest, I fitted a Maccari spring when I rebuilt and sealed my 300s. It ended up doing about 8ft/lb with 8.44gn pellets.

I think I’ve found out why my fwb was only making low (and variable) 500s : https://i.imgur.com/56Q3pev.jpg

(Actually that was only half the reason. This was the other half: https://i.imgur.com/LgoLf6Y.jpg. But I’ve sorted that out)

Does anyone have experience of the replacement springs sold by John knibbs please, or any other suggestions for replacement 300s springs? Many thanks.
    I got my spares from Centra UK, Woking. They are proper Fwb spares and cost a lot less than others and the chap is very knowledgeable...dom

A few years back I had a phase of seeing what I could get out of FWB 300's using springs from Macarri and Pok on here, and up to 8 ft.lbs was achievable.

Now I am happy to run the standard springs and not risk over-stressing other parts of the rifle.
    People who have been there focus on the fundamentals. People who sit at keyboards all day focus on the trivial and inane.