Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Fwb300s springs

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    Quote Originally Posted by Garvin View Post
    No, I think you did get it in eventually - at least that's what you said at the time. If you didn't, you owe me the Maccari spring back please.

Only kidding, i don't really care any more.
    Maybe I did get it in .. was it the square section ‘Merlin’ one ... too long ago now. In which case what was the HW50 spring for??!

Quote Originally Posted by Hsing-ee View Post
    Maybe I did get it in .. was it the square section ‘Merlin’ one ... too long ago now. In which case what was the HW50 spring for??!
    No idea about an HW50 spring. HW55?

Square section? SQUARE SECTION? Never! Sounds too much like a 'Hox'. I don't think James Maccari, one of the world's finest spring makers, has ever traded in such horrors, has he?!
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    No idea about an HW50 spring. HW55?

Square section? SQUARE SECTION? Never! Sounds too much like a 'Hox'. I don't think James Maccari, one of the world's finest spring makers, has ever traded in such horrors, has he?!
    He did, a thing called a Merlin! Maybe it was an Arctic spring, that was the 300 replacement ...

He did, a thing called a Merlin! Maybe it was an Arctic spring, that was the 300 replacement ...
    Blimey! He still does it:

https://www.airrifleheadquarters.com...88/4452198.htm
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

Is that the same ‘air rifle headquarters’ that’s been going since the 1960’s?

I bought a fascinating 1967/68 repro ARH catalogue from Cornell publications that have contemporary reviews of all the early 10m match rifles, I think the Anschütz 250 was just about to come out.

https://www.cornellpubs.com/old-guns...p?item_id=2682

Great to read quite in-depth reviews from back when these now revered rifles were cutting edge.

Matt

One you start winding springs, you just can't stop.

I really like his website, he is magnificently grumpy in the manner of airgun tuners the world over.
    Last edited by Hsing-ee; 19-01-2021 at 09:12 PM.

One you start winding springs, you just can't stop.

I really like his website, he is magnificently grumpy in the manner of airgun tuners the world over.
    Funny you should say that, I haven’t looked at that site since buying a couple of stocks from him back when he did them about 15 years ago and the site had a great long essay about how it was completely impossible to inlet a stock accurately or to supply a finished stock so don’t come grumbling to him that his stocks were unfinished and that your action didn’t fit.

In fairness the actions DID fit and I enjoyed finishing them so I’m not sure why he was so defensive about it
    Morally flawed

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Cornelius View Post
    Funny you should say that, I haven’t looked at that site since buying a couple of stocks from him back when he did them about 15 years ago and the site had a great long essay about how it was completely impossible to inlet a stock accurately or to supply a finished stock so don’t come grumbling to him that his stocks were unfinished and that your action didn’t fit.

In fairness the actions DID fit and I enjoyed finishing them so I’m not sure why he was so defensive about it
    I think he dealt with a large number of domestic consumers who looked at the beautifully finished rifles in the Gallery, then didn't read the stock page correctly, ordered an unfinished stock with just the basic initial inletting done and were then disappointed that it wasn't all complete and 'like in the pictures', then rang him up and gave him an earful.

Somewhere he also said that people expected centre-fire type power from a tuned airgun. something that he gallantly described as a 'pea-shooter' I think.

Probably driven mad by hordes of ill-informed, demanding customers.

He still does the odd stock, there are some nice ones for the FWB Sport if that floats your boat.. His twin-bore FWB is a piece of misplaced technical genius.

Quote Originally Posted by ptdunk View Post
    Is that the same ‘air rifle headquarters’ that’s been going since the 1960’s?

I bought a fascinating 1967/68 repro ARH catalogue from Cornell publications that have contemporary reviews of all the early 10m match rifles, I think the Anschütz 250 was just about to come out.

https://www.cornellpubs.com/old-guns...p?item_id=2682

Great to read quite in-depth reviews from back when these now revered rifles were cutting edge.

Matt
    Not really Matt. The original ARH was founded by Robert Law in the '60s and JM adopted the name after he died. ARH went bust in the early '80s and Beeman bought a lot of his stock, I read. I don't think JM was connected to the first ARH (maybe he was?). There is continuity of a sort, I suppose.

I also have several of the original catalogues from the 1960s and '70s, as well as a collection of the little Air Rifle Monthly publications he wrote. I must scan them and post them in the gallery so everyone can read them.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery

I think he dealt with a large number of domestic consumers who looked at the beautifully finished rifles in the Gallery, then didn't read the stock page correctly, ordered an unfinished stock with just the basic initial inletting done and were then disappointed that it wasn't all complete and 'like in the pictures', then rang him up and gave him an earful.

Somewhere he also said that people expected centre-fire type power from a tuned airgun. something that he gallantly described as a 'pea-shooter' I think.

Probably driven mad by hordes of ill-informed, demanding customers.

He still does the odd stock, there are some nice ones for the FWB Sport if that floats your boat.. His twin-bore FWB is a piece of misplaced technical genius.
    He was famously short-tempered long before the gallery was started!
    Vintage Airguns Gallery

. Probably driven mad by hordes of ill-informed, demanding customers.
    In fairness a lot of people are nuts, and it was quite an amusing read whether he intended it that way or not. And I got a nice LH prosport stock.
    Morally flawed

Regarding 300S mainsprings. Back in the 70s when I started servicing 10m guns; I discovered FWB initially had single mainsprings fitted, but the guns occasionaly exceeded 6ft/lbs; [just]. So they developed the twin spring and collar system to reduce power. I got a batch of these early springs and fitted them to all of my Bell Tgt team mates guns. Given the time period, chrono's were not around and so we used the old trade method of impact testing; this proved the single spring gave more power, but how much ? no one really knew. It wasn't much for sure, also at the time we never bothered to keep the records that we do now and spares were very easy to get, so actual factory sizes are rare.

Well one of micks springs is now safely inside though other than a very few shots to confirm all was in order I haven’t had the chance to shoot it yet, what with the short days. If possible I’ll put some pellets through at the weekend to settle it down and chrono it. I’m much more interested in consistency than power though.

I did notice the knibbs breach seal means the side lever needs a fairly firm hand to latch now, which is slightly disappointing but I am assuming it will bed in.

It is a very fetching shade of red though
    Morally flawed