Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Venom 77k

Venom 77k

I picked a Venom 77k today, it's not a Lazaglide but it appears to have had some work done by Venom.

Any suggestions for some period glass to go on it? 4x, 6x, 2-7x32, something like that, in gloss finish.

https://flic.kr/p/2ktuDcN
    Last edited by Brew Up; 18-01-2021 at 10:32 PM.

Show off LOL ��

Difficult to tell from the pictures as looking at them on my phone but look like a nice set back trigger blade and if the silencer/lever catch and sling are both venom jobbies that is great.

Nice find ��
    WANTED: Next weeks winning lottery numbers :-)

As for the glass, have you dated the serial number? If so you can go for a scope of a similar age/era.
    Rich.
    WANTED: Next weeks winning lottery numbers :-)

It's a bit scruffy, someone had left it in a damp shed.

It's of '89 vintage.

Quote Originally Posted by averageplinker View Post
    Show off LOL ��

Difficult to tell from the pictures as looking at them on my phone but look like a nice set back trigger blade and if the silencer/lever catch and sling are both venom jobbies that is great.

Nice find ��
    Spot on, you have good eyes.

It's had a little bit of work done inside. Guide and seal being the obvious.

https://flic.kr/p/2ktvh2j

What calibre as that makes a difference to what glass to put on?
    Sportmatch had pretty much taken over the mount market by 1989, though an Apel HW would always be nicer.
    Scope wise then I think Tasco were still making nice glass. .177 then a 4-16 x40 AO; .22 then any 3-9x40AO. Some Nikko Sterlings weren't that bad then. The tricky bit is to find something thats quite good and not all marked up. Heck an old Leupold would be very nice.

Many would say keep it as it is even though its pretty factory looking with all the Venom work in the innards. Being a Venom custom then the rifle can be reblued. Upgrading the stock even. But that investment really depends on how well it still shoots first. Nat driving fantastic then invest however much you want. Or just enjoy it for what it is; nice catch.

It's a .22 3-9x40 is about the biggest I'd go. It was wearing a Super Moonlighter but that's too big for my liking.

It would benefit from being re-blued but as everything is aged the same I'll leave it as is for now. Might be something look at in the future. I'll clean, re-lube and use it I think.

Quote Originally Posted by Brew Up View Post
    It's a .22 3-9x40 is about the biggest I'd go. It was wearing a Super Moonlighter but that's too big for my liking.

It would benefit from being re-blued but as everything is aged the same I'll leave it as is for now. Might be something look at in the future. I'll clean, re-lube and use it I think.
    The Optima Super moonlighter is an absolute period scope.

Change the scope for your use, by all means, but don't get rid of that scope. Its all part of the originality

It may well have been supplied at the time it was tuned
    B.A.S.C. member

Super Moonlighter with AO are a bit of a lump. The Moonlighters less so. Optima scopes weren't very bright glass wise towards the end.
    A good Jap 3-9x40 would keep the weight to at least some sportiness. Can a HW77 .22 be sporty? They can if not heaped with extras. Most non AO can be reparallaxed to 25m.
    The trick will be to find some bright period glass. All too many budget scopes of that time were getting pretty average. Heck, Kassnar were good for one year and then lost it.
    Again a period Leupold or, if you can find one, a B&L would lift it a bit to hint it was a bit special.
    Good luck, the chase is part of the fun of it all.

Quote Originally Posted by robs5230 View Post
    The Optima Super moonlighter is an absolute period scope.

Change the scope for your use, by all means, but don't get rid of that scope. Its all part of the originality

It may well have been supplied at the time it was tuned

Will do Rob. It's got a few battle scars to go with the rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by Muskett View Post
    Super Moonlighter with AO are a bit of a lump. The Moonlighters less so.
    A good Jap 3-9x40 would keep the weight to at least some sportiness. Can a HW77 .22 be sporty? They can if not heaped with extras. Most non AO can be reparallaxed to 25m.
    The trick will be to find some bright period glass. All too many budget scopes of that time were getting pretty average. Heck, Kassnar were good for one year and then lost it.
    Again a period Leupold or if you can find one a B&L would lift it a bit to hint it was a bit special.
    Good luck, the chase is part of the fun of it all.
    I'll see what I can find to suit. A Leupold or B&L would be nice if I can find one at a reasonable price.

I'd like a Leupold for my Longbow but one thing at a time.

The thing I'd really want to check is whether the inside of the barrel is rusty. From experience this is an absolute killer.
    Best Regards

Simon

I've got some slug guns.

If you can find one, Apel one piece with Kassner scope, or similar vintage tasco
    Custom BSA S10 .22 PAX Phoenix Mk 2 .22 Custom Titan Manitou .22 (JB BP) HW77 .22 FWB Sport Mk1 .22 Sharp Ace .22 Crossman 600 .22 Berretta 92 .20 Desert Eagle .177

Quote Originally Posted by simona View Post
    The thing I'd really want to check is whether the inside of the barrel is rusty. From experience this is an absolute killer.
    The inside of the barrel looks to be good thankfully. Once I've reassembled it I'll check the accuracy.