Thread: Venom 77k

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Venom 77k

I picked a Venom 77k today, it's not a Lazaglide but it appears to have had some work done by Venom.

Any suggestions for some period glass to go on it? 4x, 6x, 2-7x32, something like that, in gloss finish.

https://flic.kr/p/2ktuDcN
    Last edited by Brew Up; 18-01-2021 at 10:32 PM.

Show off LOL ��

Difficult to tell from the pictures as looking at them on my phone but look like a nice set back trigger blade and if the silencer/lever catch and sling are both venom jobbies that is great.

Nice find ��
    WANTED: Next weeks winning lottery numbers :-)

As for the glass, have you dated the serial number? If so you can go for a scope of a similar age/era.
    Rich.
    WANTED: Next weeks winning lottery numbers :-)

It's a bit scruffy, someone had left it in a damp shed.

It's of '89 vintage.

If you can find one, Apel one piece with Kassner scope, or similar vintage tasco
    Custom BSA S10 .22 PAX Phoenix Mk 2 .22 Custom Titan Manitou .22 (JB BP) HW77 .22 FWB Sport Mk1 .22 Sharp Ace .22 Crossman 600 .22 Berretta 92 .20 Desert Eagle .177

Quote Originally Posted by maximus View Post
    Tasco 2-7×32 AGFM would be great if you can find one. Can be kept on low mounts to suit the low comb of the 77 stock.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brew Up View Post

It's of '89 vintage.
    Ah, the Tasco is exactly what is on my 77 Vantage.. Bought from that very fine FT fellow, Graham Henderson, back in 1987/88.

By 1989 I seem to remember that the Simmons scopes were coming more into favour?
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

Quote Originally Posted by TonyL View Post
    Ah, the Tasco is exactly what is on my 77 Vantage
    Show off Tone
    Custom BSA S10 .22 PAX Phoenix Mk 2 .22 Custom Titan Manitou .22 (JB BP) HW77 .22 FWB Sport Mk1 .22 Sharp Ace .22 Crossman 600 .22 Berretta 92 .20 Desert Eagle .177

Quote Originally Posted by TonyL View Post
    Ah, the Tasco is exactly what is on my 77 Vantage.. Bought from that very fine FT fellow, Graham Henderson, back in 1987/88.

By 1989 I seem to remember that the Simmons scopes were coming more into favour?
    Which model Simmons would be from that era?

Quote Originally Posted by averageplinker View Post
    Show off LOL ��

Difficult to tell from the pictures as looking at them on my phone but look like a nice set back trigger blade and if the silencer/lever catch and sling are both venom jobbies that is great.

Nice find ��
    Spot on, you have good eyes.

It's had a little bit of work done inside. Guide and seal being the obvious.

https://flic.kr/p/2ktvh2j

What calibre as that makes a difference to what glass to put on?
    Sportmatch had pretty much taken over the mount market by 1989, though an Apel HW would always be nicer.
    Scope wise then I think Tasco were still making nice glass. .177 then a 4-16 x40 AO; .22 then any 3-9x40AO. Some Nikko Sterlings weren't that bad then. The tricky bit is to find something thats quite good and not all marked up. Heck an old Leupold would be very nice.

Many would say keep it as it is even though its pretty factory looking with all the Venom work in the innards. Being a Venom custom then the rifle can be reblued. Upgrading the stock even. But that investment really depends on how well it still shoots first. Nat driving fantastic then invest however much you want. Or just enjoy it for what it is; nice catch.

It's a .22 3-9x40 is about the biggest I'd go. It was wearing a Super Moonlighter but that's too big for my liking.

It would benefit from being re-blued but as everything is aged the same I'll leave it as is for now. Might be something look at in the future. I'll clean, re-lube and use it I think.