Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ultishot pcp, Trapmaster CO2: shotguns

Ultishot pcp, Trapmaster CO2: shotguns

Hi,

I recently acquired a Crosman 1100 Trapmaster CO2 shotgun. It's a lot of fun. I will do some testing with it, and with an Ultishot shotgun pcp that I picked up from a friend yesterday. He is kindly lending it to me.

Any other Trapmaster / Ultishot owners on here?
    It would be great to find out more about the Ultishot's history. Very little is known.

Cheers, Louis

These Ultishot shells look like Trapmaster shells, but they are thinner and longer.
    I re-use the empty shells endlessly. I use 1/8th of a toilet paper on both sides of the shot load as "wads".

Last edited by jirushi; 21-01-2021 at 08:20 PM.

Falcon

Merseyside maker or assembler LJ Cammell based on Falcon running gear .
    Would say more but ....

Looking forward to reading more on those.

Nicely done Louis

One of those looks like a crafted piece of workmanship the other looks like a plumber knocked something up in his lunch break

Keep your eye open for some original shells for the trapmaster as they do show up occasionally.
    Last edited by Mark D; 20-01-2021 at 10:48 AM.

Please keep us updated on how you find the Trapmaster !

Hi,
    I agree, the Ultishot isn't the prettiest creation. But it is quirky and I like that.
    I wonder if the parts below the breech are Titan or Falcon. I once told John Bowkett about the Ultishot and he hadn't heard about it before.
    So I guess Falcon. The Ultishot was sold in 1996, so the question that I should be asking is: was Titan still selling airguns in 1996, or had Falcon appeared on stage?

The Trapmaster - it is super. Every shot puts a big smile on my face.
    I will shoot it outdoors tomorrow, but I have done quite a bit of testing in my gunroom.
    I suspected that my chrony was struggling with the shot.
    Using 5 Gamo 8.1 gr lead bb's, I was getting about 750 ft/s. That would mean about 45 ft/lbs.
    With the .375" H&N round balls (79 gr), I am getting about 345 ft/s. About 22 ft/lbs. That sounds more plausible.
    Has anyone else experienced that chrony'ing shot is difficult?

Here are some photos.
    The gun feels good. The aluminium barrel makes it quite light.
    There are two power levels. I have been testing on high power.
    Resealing the gun was fun. I hope to send the valve to Lawrie at some point: I think the gun will perform better then.
    But now I don't trust the post system between Europe and the UK. I will wait a while until things settle down.

Loading: open the barrel by pushing a button on the bottom. A shell is placed into the barrel. The barrel is pushed back again.

Last edited by jirushi; 21-01-2021 at 08:16 PM.

The strangest part I've encountered in an airgun so far: this copper (?) tube transports CO2 from the cylinder to the valve.

Hammer and hammer spring

There was some Loctite in the tube cap assembly. For this nut I had to be creative as I couldn't find a screwdriver that would fit. My favourite coffee spoon, modded a bit with the Dremel, did the job

Some Trapmaster goodies that I have bought in the USA lately.

Reloading kit

Shells

Thrower

Shells

That pair of grips with the death grip on the valve made me wince

Crosman used that copper pipe feed for CO2 on a number of its guns, Mod 38T & 38C and a real plumbers feast the CR451 all used a copper pipe to feed the CO2 from the grip to the valve. It enabled them to keep the designs in keeping with the RS models.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark D View Post

Crosman used that copper pipe feed for CO2 on a number of its guns, Mod 38T & 38C and a real plumbers feast the CR451 all used a copper pipe to feed the CO2 from the grip to the valve. It enabled them to keep the designs in keeping with the RS models.
    Thank you Mark, that is interesting.
    I had a thick piece of leather between the grips and the tube cap part. But I understand, it doesn't look nice lol.
    What really cost a lot of force, was getting a new valve seal on.
    I think that the steel post in the middle should come out to do it correctly. But it must be press fit and I don't have the tools or skills to remove it without causing damage.
    Ped told me that it is possible to drill the brass behind that steel post, and then tap it out. And Loctite it back in.
    Anyway, I had a 107 valve seal that appeard to have the right thickness and OD. The diameter of the hole in the center was too small however. I enlarged it with the Dremel and conical aluminium oxide bit. The seal is made from very tough material, so it took quite a bit of Dremel-ing.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark D View Post

It reminded me of the 38C/T too. They have a reputation for leaking from that assembly. I have a 38T that probably needs a reseal if I can ever find the time and courage to have a go.

Quote Originally Posted by Geezer View Post
    It reminded me of the 38C/T too. They have a reputation for leaking from that assembly. I have a 38T that probably needs a reseal if I can ever find the time and courage to have a go.
    They are not too difficult to do, the trickiest part are the seals at the end of the copper tubing, try not to distort the shape of the tube when removing and replacing these seals, also when reassembling make sure the tube doesn’t foul the hammer, or it will impair it’s operation, have fun

Cheers, Lawrie.

Quote Originally Posted by Lawrie Amatruda View Post
    They are not too difficult to do, the trickiest part are the seals at the end of the copper tubing, try not to distort the shape of the tube when removing and replacing these seals, also when reassembling make sure the tube doesn’t foul the hammer, or it will impair it’s operation, have fun

Cheers, Lawrie.
    Thanks.

I think I put the ham in ham-fisted, but it’s worth a go. I guess the worst that can happen is that I end up asking you to fix it for me after I’ve knackered it.

Here is a nice article on the Ultishot. With thanks to Mark T for sending the scans to me.
    I did one test shot yesterday indoors. It is a bit too loud for that lol. My chrony measured 309 m/s with 5 x 8.1 gr Gamo lead bb. That can't be right.
    But it does shoot harder than the Trapmaster. I will check power when the .362" round balls arrive.