Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wire circlips

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Russell View Post
    Oh dear, sorry about that. Yes ... clearly an anatomical connection but as it is a valid medical term then I do not think anyone can be offended. And although the term is most widely used in anatomy as per Wikipedia etc it does have a valid use elsewhere for situations where the outside of an item is pushed inwards to form an inner 'receptacle' or passage. As a visual aid, think of a softish balloon and then pushing your finger into it. You create a closed tube around your finger.... the whole process being invagination as the tube forms. What was the outer surface is now an inner surface around your finger.
    I think I should stop there ......
    Cheers, Phil
    look here

https://www.springmasters.com/produc...-rings-metric/

and here

https://simplybearings.co.uk/shop/Be...527/index.html

or here

https://www.springmasters.com/produc...s-to-din-7993/

micky2 is offline The collector formerly known as micky
    Oh dear, sorry about that. Yes ... clearly an anatomical connection but as it is a valid medical term then I do not think anyone can be offended. And although the term is most widely used in anatomy as per Wikipedia etc it does have a valid use elsewhere for situations where the outside of an item is pushed inwards to form an inner 'receptacle' or passage. As a visual aid, think of a softish balloon and then pushing your finger into it. You create a closed tube around your finger.... the whole process being invagination as the tube forms. What was the outer surface is now an inner surface around your finger.
    Cheers, Phil
    This is all getting a bit to much for me.

Well.....

It looks like the items your are after are called retaining rings or Snap rings and I think you have broadened everyones vocabulary by at least one memorable word, I also had to look it up and after 40+ years or reading techincal documents spanning all manneer of engineered products its the first time I have encountered it - Sir you have a future as a technical author
    If it has a trigger, I'm gonna enjoy it!

Quote Originally Posted by English View Post
    Sir you have a future as a technical author
    Thank you, in fact that was part of what I used to do, but in plant pathology/crop protection not engineering. Ah, those were the days.
    Cheers, Phil

Playing with a balloon will never be the same.
    Repariere nicht, was nicht kaputtist.

Cheers, Phil
    Encapsulation by a vivid invagination has a certain ring about, don't you think ?
    Hw77+7

Quote Originally Posted by HW55T View Post
    Encapsulation by a vivid invagination has a certain ring about, don't you think ?
    ill name that tune in one!
    ..you sing it and ill hum it

They are called E clips. I remember them in my webley hawk trigger mechanism.

Quote Originally Posted by WILBA View Post
    They are called E clips. I remember them in my webley hawk trigger mechanism.
    E clips will do the same job but the ones I tried to describe are not E clips in the sense that if you search for E clips you get the flat steel clips, not ones made from round wire. Sorry about that. The Hawk part V26 (knibbs), shows the type.

Cheers, Phil

I may have posted on this topic a few years ago but failed to find them ...
    On several rifles, Old just post war Webleys I think are one, retaining pins are held in position by wire circlips. Think of a wire ring where you then push the diameter in and the invagination you create then fits around the pin, fitting in a groove in the pin.
    I have found them called 'plain wire snap rings' but a search for them in the UK invariably brings up the round wire spring clips that resemble a wire ring with a cut in it. This type can fit over a shaft (or pin) or inside a groove in a tube. You can make them by cutting sections from a spring.
    But I digress... I have yet again been trying to find the 'Webley' style wire circlips here in the UK but failed ... I found a supplier in the USA.
    Maybe they are called something else here? Or maybe all supplies come from overseas. Other circlips can do the job, e clips, C clips for instance and I think the Webley type are available from spares stores at a high cost. But out of interest I would like to find a UK supply at a reasonable price.
    Does anyone know of a source? So far my googling has failed.
    Cheers, Phil
    I have often seen them on old shafts in mechanical instrumentation devices but haven't got a clue what they are called. They are listed under 'snap rings' as 'Round wire open and closed gap rings' on a USA site from ARCON Mfg.

Possibly you could lift a photo from that site and see if a company like Simply Bearings can get something for you?

As a guide on price, I use 18mm plain round wire snap rings ( a non standard size)which the product manufacturers charge £1.20 + the dreaded each. I located a supplier that does trade at £34 + VAT per thousand.