Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pellet selection in spring pistols

Pellet selection in spring pistols

What is it that makes some spring pistols so pellet fussy?
    I’m guessing it’s something to do with different weights sizes and shapes exiting the barrel at different points in the shot cycle?

I’ve been pellet testing quite a few pistols at home, prior to then zeroing at 10 yds (length of my hallway)

I usually test Bisley practice, AA Field and JSB express and one will always group tighter than the others. Recently been adding Accuracy plus to the test for some very low powered pistols.

You have to be a half decent shot in the first place to get decent enough groups to tell which pellet is best.
    It’s quite knackering doing that with a two handed standing hold for long periods, and often I’ll narrow it down to two pellets and then have to come back to it later as arms and eyes get a bit tired and it’s diminishing returns to carry on.

It’s worth the effort though and I always enjoy the moment when you’ve got used to them, they are finally zeroed in, with the right pellet and what seemed like an inaccurate and untameable little beast suddenly starts behaving itself putting the pellets in a nice little group.

Cheers,
    Matt

Quote Originally Posted by ptdunk View Post
    What is it that makes some spring pistols so pellet fussy?
    I’m guessing it’s something to do with different weights sizes and shapes exiting the barrel at different points in the shot cycle?

I’ve been pellet testing quite a few pistols at home, prior to then zeroing at 10 yds (length of my hallway)

I usually test Bisley practice, AA Field and JSB express and one will always group tighter than the others. Recently been adding Accuracy plus to the test for some very low powered pistols.

You have to be a half decent shot in the first place to get decent enough groups to tell which pellet is best.
    It’s quite knackering doing that with a two handed standing hold for long periods, and often I’ll narrow it down to two pellets and then have to come back to it later as arms and eyes get a bit tired and it’s diminishing returns to carry on.

It’s worth the effort though and I always enjoy the moment when you’ve got used to them, they are finally zeroed in, with the right pellet and what seemed like an inaccurate and untameable little beast suddenly starts behaving itself putting the pellets in a nice little group.

Cheers,
    Matt
    So much truth, I have been wrestling with my Webley Seniors having a shoot out. So many viables you can’t test these pistols in a couple days. Still can’t decide my favorite.

It has been my experience that lighter pellets seem to work best in older spring powered air guns, especially in rifles. H&N Final (Light) Match are my favourite, although RWS Hobby are a cheaper alternative that also seem to work quite well.

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Abasmajor View Post
    It has been my experience that lighter pellets seem to work best in older spring powered air guns, especially in rifles. H&N Final (Light) Match are my favourite, although RWS Hobby are a cheaper alternative that also seem to work quite well.

Brian
    I agree, I find JSB Express 7.87’s always do better in my old rifles than any 8.44’s.

Pistols seem to be different though, I’ve been through the pellet check/zero process with about 25 vintage pistols so far and looking down the list they are nearly 50/50 Bisley Practice 8.2gr and Express 7.87. Only a few AA 8.44gr and one Hobby and one Match when nothing else worked.

Matt

Hello to All,

I usually use RWS R10 Pistol (7 gr.), JSB Match Green (7.3 gr.) for flat-heads, and JSB RS (7.3 gr.), JSB Express (7.9 gr.) for round-heads.

They give the best results in my vintage springer pistols.

Have fun

Best regards

Russ

I'm not sure if anyone else has noticed but when shooting older 'British' .22 air rifles or pistols with a 5.6mm bore, I still find that Hobbys or FTT work better than dare I say it, the old Eley Wasp. I appreciate I will probably be called out as a Heretic for suggesting this

John M
    Currently looking for Baikal Makarov pistols with the following prefixes to the serial number: 98, T01, T09, T21, T22
    Prefer boxed or cased but will consider loose examples too.

Quote Originally Posted by Josie & John View Post
    I'm not sure if anyone else has noticed but when shooting older 'British' .22 air rifles or pistols with a 5.6mm bore, I still find that Hobbys or FTT work better than dare I say it, the old Eley Wasp. I appreciate I will probably be called out as a Heretic for suggesting this

John M
    Hello John,

RWS Hobbys are also my favourite pellet for vintage air guns in. 22 calibre.

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Josie & John View Post

John M

hobbys do perform quite well but my preference is for Marksman or superdome in .22. For pistols in .177 I tend to stick to RWS Match or Excite econ II. The latter seem to perform particularly well in CO2 and pump guns but the majority of my collection is springers

Quote Originally Posted by WebleyWombler View Post
    hobbys do perform quite well but my preference is for Marksman or superdome in .22. For pistols in .177 I tend to stick to RWS Match or Excite econ II. The latter seem to perform particularly well in CO2 and pump guns but the majority of my collection is springers
    Funnily enough I have one early BSA .22 Sporting Pattern from around 1910 that will only shoot accurately with Marksman. She hates every other brand I have tried!

John
    Currently looking for Baikal Makarov pistols with the following prefixes to the serial number: 98, T01, T09, T21, T22

Is it just me, or has anybody else noticed that Co2 powered air pistols appear to shoot more accurately than spring pistols in .22 with the reverse being true in .177.
    Brian

Is it just me, or has anybody else noticed that Co2 powered air pistols appear to shoot more accurately than spring pistols in .22 with the reverse being true in .177.
    Brian
    Maybe you have some classy American CO2 pistols Brian. I find the Crosman 150 especially accurate.

Kind Regards,

John

Brian
    Interesting observation. Most all my CO2 pistols in 22. Only .177 is Hammerli Single. That .177 I think is dead accurate.

Quote Originally Posted by 45flint View Post
    Interesting observation. Most all my CO2 pistols in 22. Only .177 is Hammerli Single. That .177 I think is dead accurate.
    The only Co2 pistol in .177 that is more accurate than my spring powered air pistols is a Drulov DU10 Condor which is a rapid fire semi-auto sort of match pistol. Both my Crosman 150 and Benjamin Rocket In .22 are far more accurate than any of my spring powered air pistols in the same calibre.

Brian

The only Co2 pistol in .177 that is more accurate than my spring powered air pistols is a Drulov DU10 Condor which is a rapid fire semi-auto sort of match pistol. Both my Crosman 150 and Benjamin Rocket In .22 are far more accurate than any of my spring powered air pistols in the same calibre.

Brian
    I think CO2 pistols are inherently more accurate and is why Crosman was so successful. The spring action in a pistol is just more difficult to control than in a rifle? I am shooting my Webley Seniors right now and am finding hold and pellet selection much more critical. But that’s part of the challenge?

Quote Originally Posted by 45flint View Post
    I think CO2 pistols are inherently more accurate and is why Crosman was so successful. The spring action in a pistol is just more difficult to control than in a rifle? I am shooting my Webley Seniors right now and am finding hold and pellet selection much more critical. But that’s part of the challenge?
    Iv'e found that 'follow through' has brought the biggest improvement in spring pistol accuracy for the least effort to perfect. You just need to stay on aim and do nothing for a few seconds after releasing the shot.
    As you say, Co2 or pneumatic pistols feel a bit dead in the hand compared with springers which are also a lot less forgiving of errors in technique.

Brian