Thread: Diana LP5/LP6 hybrid

Diana LP5/LP6 hybrid

Just a thought. The Giss-system recoilless LP6 was only made in .177”. The “normal” LP5 sporter also came in .22”. But the barrels interchange.

Anyone had the same thought of putting a .22” barrel on a model 6? Anyone done it?

Would it be a fun way to create a novel gun, or a disaster, because the calibre change would be incompatible with the finely-judged contra-piston system, which would rapidly eat itself (which is what I suspect)?

Quote Originally Posted by Geezer View Post
    Just a thought. The Giss-system recoilless LP6 was only made in .177”. The “normal” LP5 sporter also came in .22”. But the barrels interchange.

Anyone had the same thought of putting a .22” barrel on a model 6? Anyone done it?

Would it be a fun way to create a novel gun, or a disaster, because the calibre change would be incompatible with the finely-judged contra-piston system, which would rapidly eat itself (which is what I suspect)?
    Not tried it but I would if I had a .22 barrel. It shouldn’t do the Giss mechanism any harm, as long as they are set up correctly they should be a robust as any other spring piston action and unaffected by a caliber change.

Smile

If you didn't alter the transfer port...how would the pistons even "know" you had changed barrels?

Quote Originally Posted by MDriskill View Post
    If you didn't alter the transfer port...how would the pistons even "know" you had changed barrels?
    I don’t know. Springers are weird. You change one thing and three or four other things seem to behave differently.

I guess my thought was that the .22” pellet would start moving later in the shot cycle, and accelerate less than the .177”, which shouldn’t make much difference to the front piston, but might somehow annoy the rear one.

Would make no difference to the rear piston as the two pistons are locked together by the rack and gear mechanism and move at the same speed as each other. The .22 pellet obviously will travel at a lower f.p.s. but the ft.lb. energy would probably go up as bigger bores produce more efficient use of the compressed air. You can illustrate this by trying to suck a thick Mcdonalds milkshake through a thin straw, a real struggle. Fat straw very easy.

Baz
    BE AN INDEPENDENT THINKER, DON'T FOLLOW THE CROWD