Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Unknown pistol?

How old?

Just a thought, you may be able to age the gun [ish?] by the threads on the screws if they are metric then I would guess post 1965? if they are BSW / BSF or some obscure size then I would guess earlier. kind regards Al.

PS. but I do know that old stock of imperial fasteners was 'used up' for many years after metric was adopted?
    PPS. Have looked on Garvin's excellent site & I now think it has been soft solder together & what about those square nut's ! so now I think mid 1920's early 1930's?
    Last edited by cringe; 23-01-2021 at 12:28 PM.

ccdjg is offline Airgun Alchemist, Collector and Scribe
    Quote Originally Posted by cringe View Post
    . Have looked on Garvin's excellent site & I now think it has been soft solder together ......
    You could be right as they are very neat joints, but I am puzzled that the filler seems to be as rusty as the rest of the gun. It could be down to poor colour rendering in the images of course, but I would have expected soft solder to age to a grey rather than brown

lead solder

Quote Originally Posted by ccdjg View Post
    You could be right as they are very neat joints, but I am puzzled that the filler seems to be as rusty as the rest of the gun. It could be down to poor colour rendering in the images of course, but I would have expected soft solder to age to a grey rather than brown
    I think - perhaps? 'old soft solder' would have not just lead & tin but also arsenic & other elements ? mercury? etc.

Bloody Hell ! I should have been a pathologist

The 'Ripple effect ' those joint have would not normally appear on a soft soldered joint unless it did not get hot enough to flow correctly?

Soft ( Lead based) solder will scratch easily with a pin or needle. Hard (silver) solder or braze will not

Not done with a knurl driven resistance seam welder then ?

Quote Originally Posted by Farsight View Post
    Not done with a knurl driven resistance seam welder then ?
    Like a wheel roller your thinking.
    Possibly!
    Based on the info received so far it would seem that this was made a good few years ago, on the items paired together.
    If that method of welding was popular at that time i guess it cant be ruled out!