Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: TX 200 Breech seal

TX 200 Breech seal

Looking at a TX breech seal, which has two "end rings" separated by a groove, I see the ring at one end seems to be slightly thicker than the one at the other end. Could someone kindly tell me whether there is a right way up to insert this seal into the cylinder?

The TX normally takes two identical O rings as the breech seal, Mike.

All the best Mick

Turnup is offline Dialling code‎: ‎01344
    On mine the two O rings are both the same (BS 108 I think). They are cheap as chips so replace them both. A pack of 10 can be had on the-site-which-must-not-be-named for a couple of quid.
    True freedom includes the freedom to make mistakes or do foolish things and bear the consequences.
    TANSTAAFL

Quote Originally Posted by T 20 View Post
    The TX normally takes two identical O rings as the breech seal, Mike.
    All the best Mick

Thanks Mick, I have got some identical O rings, but I also have a Chambers replacement seal, which is a nylon "double O ring in one" , and I thought I would try that as I am still not getting full power from the TX. The Chambers one seems to have different thickness ends.
    All the best to you too,
    Michael

I have not seen the double version but it sounds interesting. Otherwise, as above, BS108. These also do the 'buffers' on the TX200SR.
    Cheers, Phil

Quote Originally Posted by Vernal View Post
    Thanks Mick, I have got some identical O rings, but I also have a Chambers replacement seal, which is a nylon "double O ring in one" , and I thought I would try that as I am still not getting full power from the TX. The Chambers one seems to have different thickness ends.
    All the best to you too,
    Michael
    I looked at the Cahambers site and could not find the 'double ring' seal you mention.
    Can you tell me where on the site it is, please?
    Cheers, Phil

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Russell View Post
    I looked at the Cahambers site and could not find the 'double ring' seal you mention.
    Can you tell me where on the site it is, please?
    Cheers, Phil
    Now I am starting to worry! At least I start comforted by having two of the double seals, and the packet they came in bearing the inscription PW080 2X2 in front of me. I have taken a picture of them, but I can't seem to be able to post it (I could email it to you). I also have a clear recollection of seeing what is obviously one double washer on a parts diagram, and I have only bought TX spares from Chambers, but I do not seem to be able to find them on the current Chambers parts pic. I also checked the John Knibbs site just in case, but that too shows two separate washers. I would put it down to my advanced years if it were not for the physical evidence. As it is, it is a mystery.

Now I am starting to worry! At least I start comforted by having two of the double seals, and the packet they came in bearing the inscription PW080 2X2 in front of me. I have taken a picture of them, but I can't seem to be able to post it (I could email it to you). I also have a clear recollection of seeing what is obviously one double washer on a parts diagram, and I have only bought TX spares from Chambers, but I do not seem to be able to find them on the current Chambers parts pic. I also checked the John Knibbs site just in case, but that too shows two separate washers. I would put it down to my advanced years if it were not for the physical evidence. As it is, it is a mystery.
    Yes, mystery. I note the piston seal is PW030 on Chambers, the PW presumably meaning piston washer.

I will PM my email to you if that is OK as I am intrigued by the mystery .. not that I need a seal as I have some single O rings.
    Cheers, Phil

E mail on its way Phil. I have, for now, fitted the standard two O rings, but even with a massive (?) 52mm preload my short stroked TX is only just making 11 with JSB Express

E mail on its way Phil. I have, for now, fitted the standard two O rings, but even with a massive (?) 52mm preload my short stroked TX is only just making 11 with JSB Express
    Interesting. Now this may be a total red herring but I had a Mk1 TX (although I doubt the MK is relevant) that was running around 9. No matter what I did, new spring, new breech seals, new piston seal, increasing pre-load ... anything, I could not get it to increase.
    Then I resealed the end plug on the compression tube. Perfect ... full power resumed, and adjustable. The O ring is 1.6mm x 22.1 but the thread needs more sealing support from the likes of a suitable Loctite. I have heard of the PTFE plumber's tape being used.

More on the double breech seal: further investigation, going back to 2018 suggests a chap called Bigtoe used to make them. That's all I know.

Cheers, Phil

Turnup is offline Dialling code‎: ‎01344
    Interesting. Now this may be a total red herring but I had a Mk1 TX (although I doubt the MK is relevant) that was running around 9. No matter what I did, new spring, new breech seals, new piston seal, increasing pre-load ... anything, I could not get it to increase.
    Then I resealed the end plug on the compression tube. Perfect ... full power resumed, and adjustable. The O ring is 1.6mm x 22.1 but the thread needs more sealing support from the likes of a suitable Loctite. I have heard of the PTFE plumber's tape being used.

More on the double breech seal: further investigation, going back to 2018 suggests a chap called Bigtoe used to make them. That's all I know.

Cheers, Phil
    Similar experience with minen (a Mk 2). As well as the breech seal O rings the compression tube end plug O ring was also knacked. I removed it and used PTFE tape and it's still working and easily removed next time. Easy and cheap sop worth a try at least
    True freedom includes the freedom to make mistakes or do foolish things and bear the consequences.
    TANSTAAFL

I've not experienced the issue myself, Michael, but everything I've seen relating to this issue on here has pointed to comp tube sealing.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

I must admit I haven't checked the end plug, so that is the next thing for me to try, thank you to all those who suggested it. I have just given the stock a coat of CCL conditioner, so I have plenty of time to play with the action while the oil hardens.

Michael (Vernal) kindly sent me a photo of the 'double' breech seal and I am pretty certain the mystery is solved as it looks identical to the seal for an Hw77/97. I have held an HW seal up against 2 x BS108 seals and they are remarkably similar and I can believe they occupy the same space.
    So... out of interest, has anyone fitted an HW seal in a TX or even used 2 x BS108 rings in an HW77? Maybe the HW would need a shim?

And, if you are going to remove the end plug... 27mm is the size. The end is not very deep so make sure the spanner / socket fits well. I needed to heat the end with a gas torch to soften the sealant ... not very hot but hotter than can be hand held. I heated for maybe 10 or 15 seconds playing the heat around the edge of the plug and it undid easily. When I did it, the fitted O ring came out unscathed by the heat.

Cheers, Phil

Michael (Vernal) kindly sent me a photo of the 'double' breech seal and I am pretty certain the mystery is solved as it looks identical to the seal for an Hw77/97. I have held an HW seal up against 2 x BS108 seals and they are remarkably similar and I can believe they occupy the same space.
    So... out of interest, has anyone fitted an HW seal in a TX or even used 2 x BS108 rings in an HW77? Maybe the HW would need a shim?

And, if you are going to remove the end plug... 27mm is the size. The end is not very deep so make sure the spanner / socket fits well. I needed to heat the end with a gas torch to soften the sealant ... not very hot but hotter than can be hand held. I heated for maybe 10 or 15 seconds playing the heat around the edge of the plug and it undid easily. When I did it, the fitted O ring came out unscathed by the heat.

Cheers, Phil
    Thanks Phil, in answer

1, After over 80 years of persistent misuse, my memory sometimes takes a while to respond accurately, and on reflection it is just possible that I bought the seals at a not too distant gunshop, and maybe someone sold me those knowing they would fit a TX - apologies to Chambers if that is the case. You may well have solved that mystery.

2, I have just removed the end plug, which was very tight and I had used gentle heat (after removing my nice new breech seal) before seeing your post. There was no O ring at all, but the thread had been sealed with Loctite or something similar, (hence the need for heat) in very poor condition, so I could be hot on the trail of the missing power now. Many thanks.

Plenty of time to get a new O ring (why does t5he O ring box never have the size you need?) before the stock is useable again- or maybe PTFE tape will suffice.