I set out years ago to obtain the guns that I listed after in my youth but could not afford. Thus the early guns I obtained were the HW35e, Original 45, and the FWB Sport. As is so often the case my collecting remit expanded and I've kept going since.
I've bought a few Dianas over the years but never really got that excited about the early 34 model Dianas. That was until yesterday.
Upon stumbling onto what appeared to be an early Original 34 I noticed it was for sale in my home town. Curiosity got the better of me and I was soon driving the short distance to the seller for a socially distanced "possible" deal.
I should really have gone armed with a little more research as I am not as well versed in the lineage of some Diana models with their different dates of introduction and specifications. But when I checked the gun over I knew I had to have it. It was in better order than the photos did justice so it was coming home with me. The deal was struck with the smashing fellow shooter and back home I headed.
Some observations on the gun to the small but dedicated band of fellow Diana collectors on here. The gun is dated 08.84 and has usual length barrel (19.5?). It's the first gun I've bought with the old style plastic pistol type rear sight. The front tunnel is the early slim type on barrel dovetails with non changeable foresight post.
The stock is a very plain affair with the fore end stopping well short of the breech jaws. The vertical depth of the stock is quite shallow giving the impression the front stock screws are set low. There is no recoil pad. The butt has a gentle hollow with large serrations to aid grip once shouldered.
The gun does not have the usual Diana bolted scope ramp. Rather it has shallow and impossibly short dovetails. I think your struggle to get some one piece mounts on there.
The trigger is a very rudimentary affair. I've said many times the trigger designations on these guns confuse me but this must be a very early type. I'd guess directly following the unitised trigger of the Original 45 and it's fixed barrel mate the 50T01. The blade is a curved sheet stamping, and though basic is quite comfy. Trigger action is a short first stage, and a reasonable weighted second/release. It doesn't creep and whilst no knuckle whitener it's not that light either. Try as I might I cannot find any adjustment screws in there despite there being a hole in the guard to adjust.
The gun does appear a little pedestrian in velocity though I've only put some shots into a lead billet when I got home. Cocking effort appears strong and doesn't appear to match with modest " apparent" velocity. I am wondering if the breech seal has lost its ability to seal since the gun does appear to have spent some time in the rack. I'll check it when I get time. It's .22 by the way. Which reminds me the breech is extremely tight for the FTTs I put through it.
I'm very pleased with the purchase as I did debate whether or not to go and view the gun. I'm very glad I did. It's in cracking condition for a near 40 year old gun.
The one thing that did strike me looking over the gun is what was going on the the airgun market at that time. And perhaps the rationale of the 34 and its place in the market. Whilst being very pleased with the gun it's clear that to be fair it wouldn't hold a candle to the HW80 which had come out a few years previously. I bought a new 80 ironically the same month this gun was going out the doors at the factory and putting them besides one another it's chalk and cheese. The 80 has a much more solid feel and one of a gun hand crafted (in those days anyhow). This Diana whilst not wishing to be unkind lacks the qualities and air of the 80. Compared to the Original 45 which it was designed to replace (there again was it)?? This gun does have a certain mass produced feel to it. It's sights, trigger, stock cannot compare to an HW80. But I asked myself was this gun made to compete with it? I have a feeling the answer is no. Had the Original/Diana 52 made an appearance by that stage? That is certainly competition for the 80 certainly in those power crazed days.
But though I've owned this 34 less than 24 hours I've certainly come to appreciate it's qualities. It's place in the market back then. Besides which this gun was later to spawn the more punchy model 36 and 38. Healthier competition for the HW models with their updated triggers and stocks.
I'd welcome any input from those with better knowledge of this gun along the lines of the long and short tube specs. The trigger spec on this example. Just when did the 34 arrive here which will give me some perspective on how early this gun is?
Thanks
Dave