Thread: Boosting Walther LG55 LGV Power

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration

Boosting Walther LG55 LGV Power

Someone once told me that it’s possible to push up the power of a Walther LG55 simply by swapping out the spring for a BSA Meteor one, giving 11fpe plus.

I thought this was crap and maybe it could make 8 fpe but no more. If it could do 11 fpe then it would have been a supreme FT gun in the late 70s and early 80s.

But it weren’t.

Anyone tried boosting the power of these 10m target guns?

Someone gave me a LG55 in a plastic bag several years ago. Broken stock, and crumbled seal.
    After gluing the stock, I fitted a leather seal around a delrin/POM base, and fit a cut down Luznick 87 spring in it. The spring fit the guide perfectly, and the gun shot great. It was a bit more powerful than your average 10 meter gun, but I dont remember how fast it was. But definately not up to the 11fpe you are talking about. I traded it for something, so no way to check now.

But the Luznick spring fit the guide really well, that I do remember

A guy at my club got his LG55 up to about 8 ftlbs with a stronger spring but I thought it shot horribly, it was jumpy and snappy.

My missus’s one shoots beautifully at 4.5ftlbs, which I believe is what they’re designed to put out.
    Low power and a heavy gun with a good trigger is an awesome combination.

I really don’t see the point in trying to boost the power of these 10m match rifles, if I wanted a great 80’s FT break barrel rifle I’d use my FWB 124.

Matt

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    The swept volume just didn’t look enough for more than 8, and I think they’re set up for optimal accuracy at about 6 fpe.

Quote Originally Posted by Hsing-ee View Post
    The swept volume just didn’t look enough for more than 8, and I think they’re set up for optimal accuracy at about 6 fpe.
    Agreed. My LG55, some parts of which used to be yours, is excellent, but makes something like 5-6.

I can’t see how you could get 11 out of that power plant.

Perhaps your acquaintance was confusing the LG55 with the HW55, which definitely can be tuned to 10-11 ft-lbs? Venom did a few.

My experience of German produced air rifles is that the power is restricted by the transfer port size. Opening them up allows the spring to be reduced and gives a nice smooth shot cycle without jumping. My HW 95 would not allow me to keep a constant sight picture through the scope, now very steady and I really enjoy shooting it. The HW 35E I just bought was horrible to cock and shoot, I opened the port from barely 3mm to 3.5mm and reduced a lot of coils off the spring. It totally transformed the rifles performance and ease of cocking.

Baz
    BE AN INDEPENDENT THINKER, DON'T FOLLOW THE CROWD

Lg55

My HW55T does 10.7 ft lbs. Yep it's a venom. To get a little more out of the HW55 they would 're barrel it in .22 cal. Mach 1.5

Turns out we’ve discussed this before.

http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....ower-Potential

Quote Originally Posted by Geezer View Post
    Turns out we’ve discussed this before.

http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....ower-Potential
    I half thought we might have, just saw some Walters for sale and wondered’could it really shoot through a dustbin with the right spring’ ... Not able to shoot with the lock down so recycling old questions ...