Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Compressor

Compressor

Wanting to buy an airgun compressor

i know there are a few about, just wanted to see what people would recommend?

looking at the nomad currently but have seen cheaper.

obviously I don’t want mega cheap as that much pressure could be a disaster!

any feedback would be great!

atb Adam
    I wanna be the airgunbbs Model

Jesim1 is offline Likes to wear driving gloves in the bedroom
    Not cheap, but if you get one second hand you can have it a lifetime and sell it for more than you paid for it, sometimes it's cheaper to buy dearer After the lockdown your welcome to visit and see how it works and get a fill at the same time

Making a mockery of growing old gracefully since I retired

Daystate - £2250+,
    Hills - £850+,
    Nomad - £650+,
    BSA - £600+
    Chinese Nomad copy - £450+,
    Cheap chinese - £250+.
    Stirrup pump £50+

If I was in the market the choice would be Hills or Nomad.
    Last edited by angrybear; 23-01-2021 at 12:05 PM.

Due to the current Covid lockdown and the associated issues with getting my tank refilled, I spent weeks looking at becoming self sufficient.

I was sorely tempted to buy a cheap chinese compressor. No doubt there are good deals out here but at the pressure these things can operate at, I wasn't prepared to take the punt!

If money was no object I would have bought the Hills at around £850

In the end I bought myself the new Hills Mk5 stirrup pump to do me meantime.

Hopefully, I can soon go back to using my tank which I got refilled once or twice a year when we return to some degree of normality.

Quote Originally Posted by bobthedug View Post
    Due to the current Covid lockdown and the associated issues with getting my tank refilled, I spent weeks looking at becoming self sufficient.

I was sorely tempted to buy a cheap chinese compressor. No doubt there are good deals out here but at the pressure these things can operate at, I wasn't prepared to take the punt!

If money was no object I would have bought the Hills at around £850

In the end I bought myself the new Hills Mk5 stirrup pump to do me meantime.

Hopefully, I can soon go back to using my tank which I got refilled once or twice a year when we return to some degree of normality.
    This is what I did.

Need to be a bit careful though, the Hill Mk5 works well as long as you are of average weight or more. I weigh about 55kg or about 8.5 stone and I can only pump it to about ~160 bar. I now have a backpack with 7 litres of water in it and then I can get to ~180 bar which is enough for my rifles, so I am content with that. If you want to pump to 230+ bar you would have to be a fairly big bloke to use your body weight to achieve that sort of pressure
    Last edited by Monster; 23-01-2021 at 02:10 PM.

ive just bought a cheap chinese pump brand new off a lad for 20 quid just to top up my rifle instead of using my bottle works great

What do you want it to do. How hard will it have to work, is a bic biro chinese compressor get your foot in the door and then choose better.
    The Daystate is hardly portable but will feel surface air tanks easy.
    Then its a balance of portability, power source (mains Vs 12 volt).
    Are you filling gun cylinders or dive tanks or both.
    In a battle of wits I refuse to engage with an unarmed person.
    To one shot one kill, you need to seek the S. Kill only comes from Skill

Was to fill airguns directly I only currently have a 3liter bottle! So could use it to top that up or rifle directly but not something like a big 12 litre jobbie!

nomad looks like it’s ticking all my boxes to be honest
    I wanna be the airgunbbs Model

Looking on the auction site there are several that look to be Nomad/BSA copies 12V with optional 240V transformer, air cooled & oil free starting around £280.

You will get stung for 20%VAT & maybe import duty on top, but should still top out around £400.
    The BSA is between £50-£100 less than the nomad & still has the big name back-up.

Quote Originally Posted by angrybear View Post
    Looking on the auction site there are several that look to be Nomad/BSA copies 12V with optional 240V transformer, air cooled & oil free starting around £280.

You will get stung for 20%VAT & maybe import duty on top, but should still top out around £400.
    The BSA is between £50-£100 less than the nomad & still has the big name back-up.
    There are plenty of the Chinese mini compressors on the 'Bay, offered by UK sellers with free delivery, so no VAT, duty or shipping to pay.
    Walther CP-2 Match, FAS 604 & Tau 7 target pistols, Smith & Wesson 6" & 4" co2 pistol, Crosman 1377,
    Baikal IZH 53 pistol, Gamo CFX Royal,177, Umarex SA-10 CO2 pistol.

Quote Originally Posted by derekm View Post
    There are plenty of the Chinese mini compressors on the 'Bay, offered by UK sellers with free delivery, so no VAT, duty or shipping to pay.
    Those "UK" sellers are all Chinese registered companies if you look at their details,
    new Brexit VAT rules have closed the loophole they used to avoid EU VAT & import duty,
    There may be stock already here that avoided paying but there's now a much greater chance of the buyer getting had for it.

Quote Originally Posted by angrybear View Post
    Those "UK" sellers are all Chinese registered companies if you look at their details,
    new Brexit VAT rules have closed the loophole they used to avoid EU VAT & import duty,
    There may be stock already here that avoided paying but there's now a much greater chance of the buyer getting had for it.
    You may or may not be correct about any loopholes (I've suspected for a while that they were bending rules for small items), but unless these higher value larger goods are in a bonded warehouse here in UK, surely they are in free circulation?

What happens down the line when present stocks run out is I agree, another story.
    Walther CP-2 Match, FAS 604 & Tau 7 target pistols, Smith & Wesson 6" & 4" co2 pistol, Crosman 1377,
    Baikal IZH 53 pistol, Gamo CFX Royal,177, Umarex SA-10 CO2 pistol.

robby is offline Whos the odd one out now
    I would go for a stirrup pump during these lock down, it's does keep you fit rather than following Joe wick on YouTube unless his wife join in!.

If the OP wanted a stirrup pump, he would have posted a thread to that effect. He didnt.....
    In a battle of wits I refuse to engage with an unarmed person.
    To one shot one kill, you need to seek the S. Kill only comes from Skill

Hi I've been down this route also, got a hill's pump and only good if desperate, too long to pump and slow. But couldn't afford the top end. The wife bought me a Chinese model on eb*y 193545993913 the reviews seem very good and I think theres reviews on YouTube.

Anyway not tried it yet as I had a foot op that's prevent be looking at it properly, but I've 3 dive cylinders to fill and I'm not doing them by hand

If anyone has any experience and tweaks on the Chinese models it'll be good to have some advice prior to starting the process other than read the manual.

Anyway hope it helps.

Atb