Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Compressor

I like the look of the Hills, but at £850 it's lot of money and I'd really like to hear from someone who's used one for a while..

Chap on the R7OC has one he's extremely happy with it.

garym is offline Outruns Death in his slippers

Hill EC3000

I have been using a Hill compressor since last September, well impressed. Topping up smallish bottles, no problem.
    After using a chinese compressor for 3 years the Hill is like a Rolls Royce.
    Pity about the price rise though.

Quote Originally Posted by angrybear View Post
    Those "UK" sellers are all Chinese registered companies if you look at their details,
    new Brexit VAT rules have closed the loophole they used to avoid EU VAT & import duty,
    There may be stock already here that avoided paying but there's now a much greater chance of the buyer getting had for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by derekm View Post
    You may or may not be correct about any loopholes (I've suspected for a while that they were bending rules for small items), but unless these higher value larger goods are in a bonded warehouse here in UK, surely they are in free circulation?

What happens down the line when present stocks run out is I agree, another story.
    £107 from China, with all the duties, VAT and "handling charge" to be paid no doubt, or £225 bought in UK, which should amply cover taxes, import handling and local mark-up/expenses I would think. If I needed one, I'd take a punt for £225.
    Walther CP-2 Match, FAS 604 & Tau 7 target pistols, Smith & Wesson 6" & 4" co2 pistol, Crosman 1377,
    Baikal IZH 53 pistol, Gamo CFX Royal,177, Umarex SA-10 CO2 pistol.

Hill compressor - additional filter needed?

Quote Originally Posted by garym View Post
    I have been using a Hill compressor since last September, well impressed. Topping up smallish bottles, no problem.
    After using a chinese compressor for 3 years the Hill is like a Rolls Royce.
    Pity about the price rise though.
    I'm thinking of getting an EC3000 and looking on YouTube it seems a number of owners have fitted a second filter pack on the output hose (looks like a Chinese made oil / water filter). Are these necessary ? I thought the Hill had a moisture trap built in ?

Quote Originally Posted by derekm View Post
    £107 from China, with all the duties, VAT and "handling charge" to be paid no doubt, or £225 bought in UK, which should amply cover taxes, import handling and local mark-up/expenses I would think. If I needed one, I'd take a punt for £225.
    It's what I did except mine was £216 on Amazon. Happily filled my rifle to 300bar without any issues.

You can get stirrup pump on Amazon for under £6 at the moment and yes they do work. Or spend £13 and get one with a full spare seal kit and a bunch of filters. Have had of the latter for 9 months and it works just fine to 250 bar.

Some people just seem to like paying a lot. It maybe makes them feel better.
    Walther CP-2 Match, FAS 604 & Tau 7 target pistols, Smith & Wesson 6" & 4" co2 pistol, Crosman 1377,

I like my Chinese one. It's a triumph of engineering. Using a fish pond pump to circulate water to cool it. It's no frills, but a good design and works well.

Using water to cool means that the duty cycle is much extended over an air cooled model.
    And day by day and dauntingly, Our anger does increase. While you ruin us through ignorance,
    How can we keep our peace?

Compressor

I’ve a air Ventura nomad 2 absolute quality fills up to 300 bar fills any air gun / rifle
    not for filling dive tanks / bottles tho

I'm more than happy with my NOMAD 2, it's only a matter of minutes to top up a rifle so I'm not too bothered about topping up cylinders. In fact I'll probably sell my cylinders once lock down restrictions have been eased.

I've had my Hills pump since last July, fills my guns fine including a 480cc carbon bottle on the FX Royale. I fitted an extra inline filter more as a belt & braces guard against moisture than a necessity. I would say it is not suitable for bottle filling though, despite the claims. It gets hot, cuts out & restarts over the fill around every 20bar from 200bar to 300bar on a 3 litre bottle. Now this is how it's meant to operate but it just feels like it's trying too hard & gets too hot in the process to me. Hence me only filling direct to guns with it now.

John
    Law of any kind only affects those willing to abide by it.

Quote Originally Posted by JLB View Post
    I've had my Hills pump since last July, fills my guns fine including a 480cc carbon bottle on the FX Royale. I fitted an extra inline filter more as a belt & braces guard against moisture than a necessity. I would say it is not suitable for bottle filling though, despite the claims. It gets hot, cuts out & restarts over the fill around every 20bar from 200bar to 300bar on a 3 litre bottle. Now this is how it's meant to operate but it just feels like it's trying too hard & gets too hot in the process to me. Hence me only filling direct to guns with it now.

John
    That could be as simple as it being in a location with insufficient air flow around it.
    It might just need a window/garage door open or a table fan to get a flow of air across it, as does anything air cooled.

Your extra filter will also be causing a restriction in the output flow which the pump will have to work harder to overcome,
    Harder work = more heat.

Very interesting about the cutout / restart on filling a 3 litre dive bottle. Out of interest does it usually fill the rifle bottle from 200 to 300bar in one shot (ie without cutting out)? The fact that there is a purposeful cutout / restart cycle suggests that it is not really damaging the pump (but I can see this being a bit stressful given the cost).

Quote Originally Posted by JLB View Post

John

The Hills has a cooling fan built in which forces air over the compression chamber when you turn it on. It won't fill a 3 litre bottle from 200-300bar without the stop start cycle. I haven't experimented with extra fans or the like as I just fill straight to gun now which it has no problem at all with.

John
    Law of any kind only affects those willing to abide by it.

Don't know what the various manufacturers claim for their products, but maybe it needs to be accepted that the mini compressors are only intended/suitable for filling gun cylinders, rather than larger bottles?