Thread: VCR Act and exporting airguns

VCR Act and exporting airguns

I looked up the VCR Act. What i found was from 2006/2007
    Couldnt find anything about exporting airguns by non-RFD.
    Afaik, there is no legal issue there. Am I correct? Or am I missing (a newer) part of the VCR act?
    Is there any law that forbids couriers to carry certain products?
    If yes where can I find that law?
    ATB,
    yana

Quote Originally Posted by hwtyger View Post
    Afaik, there is no legal issue there. Am I correct? Or am I missing (a newer) part of the VCR act?
    Hi Yana,

I am no expert but as long as the airgun is legal in the Netherlands and the country you wish to export to, then the transaction is lawful. There may be customs or taxes to pay by the recipient though. As far as couriers go, I think you would need to ask each for their terms or look on their website for rules around firearms. I would recommend using a National Postal Service if you have one, such as Royal Mail or Parcel Force in the U.K. or USPS in the U.S.A for example.

It is also worth including a written declaration inside the box stating the airgun is low powered and complies with the energy limit in the country it is being sent to.

Good luck!

John
    Currently looking for Baikal Makarov pistols with the following prefixes to the serial number: 98, T01, T09, T21, T22
    Prefer boxed or cased but will consider loose examples too.

While I couldn't answer your actual question around VCR, take into account the coutry's firearms laws you want to export to
    Custom BSA S10 .22 PAX Phoenix Mk 2 .22 Custom Titan Manitou .22 (JB BP) HW77 .22 FWB Sport Mk1 .22 Sharp Ace .22 Crossman 600 .22 Berretta 92 .20 Desert Eagle .177

tinbum is offline Killer Vampire Lesbians on scooters
    If you are trying to buy from a seller in the UK and have it shipped to you they may well be finding it too much trouble to bother with. No one knows the new rules regarding import/export after brexit and customs seem to be charging and withholding packages at random.

I suggest waiting until the dust settles and Boris has been hung from a lampost

VCR does not prevent a private seller sending an air gun direct to a private buyer anywhere in the world. Royal Mail will carry airguns. What happens when the airgun leaves the uk and arrives in the other country in the hands of their postal system seems to be up in the air at the moment but whatever the problems are they aren’t the VCR

Like tinbum I’d wait a month or two if possible everything seems to be chaos at the moment. Whether it will get any better remains to be seen.
    Morally flawed

There is no law against the export of airguns from the UK, it is just very difficult & expensive to do so.

Most UK carriers specifically prohibit any form of gun in their terms, of those who do allow it ParcelForce will carry in the UK but prohibit export, Royal Mail will carry & will export, subject to their size limits, mark surface mail only.

On top of that a customs declaration is now required even for the EU, & it's possible a licence from HMRC is also needed for the permanent export of a firearm, all airguns are classed as firearms under UK law whether licenced or not,
    when I asked HMRC 2 or 3 years ago they would not give a general answer only on a case by case basis.

If you want a UK gun the cheapest/easiest way is get on a ferry & collect it.

The fact that in the past people have lied/sent items in breach of the rules is neither here nor there.

I know we just had Brexit. Its not for now. I was just wondering.
    Maybe for the future if everything is clear
    Wether ferry is cheapest depends on price of the gun.
    ATB,
    yana

Wether ferry is cheapest depends on price of the gun.
    That's thinking outside the box
    Custom BSA S10 .22 PAX Phoenix Mk 2 .22 Custom Titan Manitou .22 (JB BP) HW77 .22 FWB Sport Mk1 .22 Sharp Ace .22 Crossman 600 .22 Berretta 92 .20 Desert Eagle .177