Thread: The genius of Hugo Schmeisser in the Haenel 28R

The genius of Hugo Schmeisser in the Haenel 28R

Spent a lot of time with my prewar spring pistols over the last week putting them through their paces. A couple of days after I look at the Haenel 28R and marvel at the genius of Hugo Schmeisser. I think it is easier to maybe dismiss Hugo when you look at the common single shot 28. And unfortunately that is the pistol most people have given the relative rarity of the 28R. The diagram below was borrowed from the Gallery and shows the complexity of the repeating design. A ingenious concentric loading tube was used, a design probably borrowed from the more common concentric barrel. The design produces a solid non breaking design. The finely machine loading ramp works flawlessly with Crosman Wadcutters. It’s easy to take this design for granted given it works so well. It’s grip cocking leaves the pistol looking like a Luger. Often criticized I actually found it less stressful on my arms than the long throw of the Webley Senior? The Achilles heal is the trigger. Given that the grip separates during cocking the trigger mechanism is less than ideal. Sound, finely machined but stiff. Love the pistol. Crazy lucky to find three in the last several years, I think a little easier find in the US given Haenel was a favorite prewar import. And the key is finding them in great shape for shooting.

Last edited by 45flint; 27-01-2021 at 05:37 PM.

The genius of Hugo Schmeisser in the Haenel 28R

lovely pistols, someone up there must like you to find 3 good ones.

Amazing pistols, Steve. I'd say it must be a lot easier to find this model in the US than Europe, either because more proportionally of the repeater were imported back then or because of the relative lack of airgun collectors now, or both...
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

Quote Originally Posted by Garvin View Post
    Amazing pistols, Steve. I'd say it must be a lot easier to find this model in the US than Europe, either because more proportionally of the repeater were imported back then or because of the relative lack of airgun collectors now, or both...
    I have a advertising page from a 1930’s US Catalog where only the Repeater was offered? It was in Stoegers catalog as well. I have had fellows from Germany inquiring about my pistols saying a very hard find in Germany. Have to assume the depression hit Europe hard as well but maybe there was still some people in the US that still could buy such items? They still are not a easy find here! Lol. I think I found all three in one year and have seen maybe one since?

I know the highest serial number is in the 3000’s so that’s not that many floating around? Positives it’s a robust pistol so most probably survived?

Here are the highest serial numbers from the US collector that knows these pistols the best:

“The highest serial number I have seen on a Haenel repeater is #3,245 which is in my collection. Of the Haenel serial numbers that I have tracked, the Model 28R has the fewest made.
    Haenel Air Pistol - highest serial number #9,680
    Haenel Model 26 - highest serial number #12,030
    Haenel Model 28 - highest serial number #23,828“

UPDATED Haenel Serial Numbers

Quote Originally Posted by 45flint View Post
    I know the highest serial number is in the 3000’s so that’s not that many floating around? Positives it’s a robust pistol so most probably survived?

Here are the highest serial numbers from the US collector that knows these pistols the best:

“The highest serial number I have seen on a Haenel repeater is #3,245 which is in my collection. Of the Haenel serial numbers that I have tracked, the Model 28R has the fewest made.
    Haenel Model 26 - highest serial number #12,030
    Haenel Model 28 - highest serial number #23,828“

The serial numbers have not changed very much:
    Haenel Model 28R - highest serial number #3,278
    Haenel Model 26 - highest serial number 12,869 - includes 2nd version w/bakelite grips
    Haenel Model 28 - highest serial number #23,828

To my knowledge there is no way to date when a particular example was made unless you have a Haenel Model 50 or Model 100 which normally have the month & year of production stamped on the bottom of the grip. I am aware of 3 Haenel Model 28's, #12,089, #12,132 & #12,156 which are stamped "1.6.31" on the bottom of the wood grip. So we can safely assume that these examples came off the production line in June 1931.

Not thought about it before but I have a 28 and my records give the serial number as 12741E

Cheers, Phil

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Russell View Post
    Not thought about it before but I have a 28 and my records give the serial number as 12741E

Cheers, Phil
    This is the 6th Haenel Model 28 that I am aware of with the "E" after the serial number. Yours is the lowest number so far, previous one being #12,744E and the highest being #13,400E. The reason for the "E" is yet to be determined and I am not aware of any other alpha character being used after the serial number.

Many thanks for the information Phil. It gives us another piece of the puzzle to evaluate.

Fine ... I always thought it might refer to 'Export'.
    Cheers, Phil

Just hypothesising.

E may also mean England?

Like the Original 50E, definitely made/optimised for the U.K. market.