Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reloading set up

Reloading set up

Gents Just got back into using my .223 and have played about with which bullet it likes best and have settled on the federal 40g and am thinking about reloading myself but am unsure if its worth it, my rifle has a 1/12 twist rate. Approx much and what would i need to set myself up and is it worth the trouble?
    carl
    CZ 452 .22lr SIRROCCO MOD Yukon photon xt , CZ .17 HMR SAK MOD PARD 007a
    PBIR L, TIKKA T3 LITE .223 T8 MOD PARD 008 PBIR L, 22-250 ON TICKET,
    BERETTA 682 GOLD E, WINCHESTER X2 SEMI AUT0 (SECTION ONE)

The most rudimentary of kit can get you going. Lee hand press, Lee dies, Lee dippers, and a Lee priming tool and a good beam scale could see you make better ammunition than you can buy. Ashford, Kent?

It depends on how much use it will get,
    Basics you need a press, dies, scales, powder funnel & case lube, plus the components cases, bullets, primers & powder, maybe £300 ?

So if you don't shoot it a lot, it's how much factory ammo would that buy you, how long would it last & is it worth it.
    At the other end of the scale, if you shoot hundreds of rounds a month that basic loading kit can take ages to make the quantity, so you'll want better more expensive kit.

Quote Originally Posted by simgre View Post
    The most rudimentary of kit can get you going. Lee hand press, Lee dies, Lee dippers, and a Lee priming tool and a good beam scale could see you make better ammunition than you can buy. Ashford, Kent?
    Yes mate

You'll be making good ammo for about 50p a bang, compared to factory at, what £1+ (I haven't bought factory hunting ammo for a long time so I could be off on this).
    The equipment (press, dies, scales, vibro-cleaner, manual trimmer is about the minimum + a reloading manual) will cost you second-hand somewhere from £150 upwards to get going, or even more.

If my figure for factory is even close you'll need top make 300 rounds to even come close to breaking even on the equipment alone (just don't factor in the time spent doing it, certainly not a commercial saving if you wanted to sell them!). That's not a lot to make but could be a while if you are only occasionally hunting with it and the enjoyment of making is part of the process for me.

Then you get hooked and need a bigger press, power trimmer, digital scales with a trickler, and before you know it your life will be irreversibly changed.

Don't do it!
    Good deals with: Muskett, Dreben, roger.kerry, TALL, Helidave1, Chelseablue, Leeroy7031, Mousemann, pnuk, Practical, NEWFI, HOOGS, Webb22, lazybones1416 and deanw5262 among others. Thanks Guys.

Thanks for all your help gents I usally shoot the hmr and .22 but have the land now to use the .223 plus just bought the pard 008 and 007a so I can use nv on all my rifles. The lockdown has given me more time to practice and the .223 is a dream to shoot. I made a mild steel 10mm plinker and have been shooting with federal 40g vmax amazing ammo compared to the 55g ppu they do the job for plinking but the federal just about punch through the plate at 200-300m god knows what a fox is going to look like after the vmax has hit it😀

I reload .223 and it costs me approx £18 for 50. You could get going with new and used Lee reloading kit for £150.

Wow that’s cheap how long does it take to make 50 what powder you using?

Vhitavouri N133 is a fantastic powder in .223. Beauty of Vhit is just about everywhere carries it.

Call Richard at the Ashford Gun Room. He stocks Vhit. He also stocks reloading kit and regularly has second hand gear on the shelf.

Also N140 is good for .223 & readily available

Quote Originally Posted by Karakal View Post
    Wow that’s cheap how long does it take to make 50 what powder you using?
    Once the cases are tumble cleaned i can de-prime, size, reprime, throw the powder and seats heads on 50 in about an hour. I use murom primers and ppu heads with VV133 or VV140 powder depending what weight heads i am using.

I have some reloading gear for sale in the erm for sale section!
    Shortly be adding a Lee turret press set up.

Not looking to buy yet I am moving in March to my new house and will get all my new kit as soon as I settled in😭

Quote Originally Posted by Karakal View Post
    Not looking to buy yet I am moving in March to my new house and will get all my new kit as soon as I settled in😭
    Best thing to do first -is find a good spot in your new place to set up a loading area!

Welcome to the Rabbit Hole.
    Liam Webster

Absolutely the garage is going to be my new man cave motorbikes and guns😀😀😀😀