Thread: Spotting scope

Spotting scope

Hi gents
    What’s the best spotting scope to use for .223 I will shooting up to 300m seen one on Amazon 20-60x60. Is this the correct size what do anyone else use please.
    Thanks in advance.

I'm not an expert in these matters but I'd have thought that marking 0.223 at 300m would need a reasonably quality scope that might require a fairly strong budget. In the first instance knowing your budget limitations would be a great help as it means that anyone who replies to your query has a rough of idea as to what range of scopes are available to you. Also, there's other Target Shooting Forums that you could post your query on, having a range of answers from people with different shooting backgrounds might widen your options.

Also, being able to look and try the range of scopes available to you might help in your final decision. I brought my first spotting scope from a shop in Guildford (or Winchester ?) and they let me take it out into the street, mount it on a tripod and look at a test target maybe 100x away.

HTH, Vic Thompson.

RobinC is offline Awesome Shooting Coach and Author.

Scope

You will need a very good quality scope with at least a 60 mm objective lens to see small holes at any thing over 100 mt, and its more about the quality of the optics than the magnification.

Don't know where you shoot, but at Bisley there are electronic targets, or the TR ones with markers will have an orange disc which are easily seen with most scopes.

We shoot ISSF 300 mt at Bisley with the 300 Metre Target Club, and we have all electronic targets, the only time we use a scope is for wind mirage reading.

Have Fun
    Robin
    Walther KK500 Alutec expert special - Barnard .223 "wilde" in a Walther KK500 Alutec stock, mmm...tasty!! - Keppeler 6 mmBR with Walther grip and wood! I may be a Walther-phile?

karakal,

It also depends on the conditions - hazy, mirage ridden days, tend to make it very difficult to see even .45 calibre holes at 300m, even if you have excellent optics.

Are you shooting on a 'proper' range (gallery/field firing), or on a piece of land with 'impromptu' targets ?

Some of the Serials at the Lydd & Hythe ranges are luckily placed so that the bullet holes in the targets are backlit at certain times of the day, which helps a lot.

If you are on a gallery range, then the butts crew can put in a marker disk - if you are on a field firing area, then it would be most challenging to spot the shot holes.

I use the optical tube assembly from a Meade ETX-90 astronomical telescope, and can see .22 bullet holes at 300m under very good conditions.

However, slight, gusty wind buffets the scope sufficiently to make the image shudder enough to make the spotting difficult.

Have fun & a good weekend

Best regards

Russ

Quote Originally Posted by Karakal View Post
    Hi gents
    What’s the best spotting scope to use for .223 I will shooting up to 300m seen one on Amazon 20-60x60. Is this the correct size what do anyone else use please.
    Thanks in advance.
    The most important information required is:

What's your budget??

A 20-60x 60 should be good enough but there's spotting scopes & SPOTTING scopes!
    Pistol & Rifle Shooting in the Highlands with Strathpeffer Rifle & Pistol Club. <StrathRPC at yahoo.com> or google it.
    No longer Pumpin Oil but still Passin Gas!

Quote Originally Posted by DedIdick View Post
    The most important information required is:

What's your budget??

A 20-60x 60 should be good enough but there's spotting scopes & SPOTTING scopes!
    as above....
    remember shooting at 300 yds at diggle in a competiton with my tack driver .223.......and i do mean tack driver.
    my target was a black squirrel on a white back ground and had 2 hit zones, 1 in the head and the other in the body.
    now my .223 was only zeroed at 100 yds and thought we could re-zero before comp........nope
    i couldnt see a bloody hole at 300 yds and i only had a 16x mag scope so i went for the body.
    luckily i got a great group even though i didnt know it at the time so just aimed at the same poi.
    didnt win as the locals already was zeroed at that range........twats