Thread: cannon

cannon

hi all,the lockdown has given me more time to finish some projects.this one has only been waiting for the last 25 years.its a victorian cannon which had muzzle damage. with a 9" angle grinder i cut off the last 6" including the muzzle.mounted this up in the lathe and bored it internally out to about 4" which removed all the damage.the i put it up on the mill , made 4 holes lenghtwise 9mm diameter and counterbored 13mm .then on the cannon i marked out and then drilled and tapped M8x1.25 four corresponding holes.the muzzle was then reattached to the cannon with M8 capheads.the cannon now has a false muzzle for the first 6"..next i am going to clean the old girl up and sort the ships carriage that goes with the gun,cheers all, stay safe,greasemonkey.https://i.imgur.com/VeF4AKN.jpg
    more guns than you can shake a stick at!

Great project. It would be an impressive thing to fire.
    [I]DesG
    Domani e troppo tardi

Canon

Hi Mr greasemonkey nice to see you are still around and active. Tell me when to listen for the bang.
    When I die don't let my wife sell my guns for what she thinks I gave for them!!!

Nice !! If these are Your thing and if You are ever able to pay a visit to Fort Nelson in Hampshire .

gave it a coat of satin black yesterday,going to start on the carriage today,have ordered some wheels for it ,they are cast iron with a thin rubber tyre.not strictly as original but with deference to my gunroom floor which is where she will sit when finished..

finally got the ships carriage sorted.machined up some new axles to suit the new cast iron wheels,gave the wood a couple of coats of stain and now she's all done,ready to be moved into the gunroom/office/mancave tommorow.the beer can is there for context....https://i.imgur.com/BVj2u17.jpg
    Last edited by greasemonkey; 03-02-2021 at 09:13 PM.

Great photo! Hope you have that enlarged , printed and framed!

lovely carriage there Des,great photo's..

Quote Originally Posted by greasemonkey View Post
    lovely carriage there Des,great photo's..
    All made from scrap. Bits of Harrier, Jaguar, Tornado, Shaw Europa and Huntair pathfinder microlight. The Mahogany trail is from a chapel of rest and the barrel liner is from a .75 Brown Bess. Waste not etc. Cannon are fun!
    [I]DesG
    Domani e troppo tardi

have installed it in the gunroom/office/mancave.had to throw out some furniture to make room for it,but hey ho,needs must..https://i.imgur.com/a9l4LLd.jpg.

Quote Originally Posted by greasemonkey View Post
    have installed it in the gunroom/office/mancave.had to throw out some furniture to make room for it,but hey ho,needs must..https://i.imgur.com/a9l4LLd.jpg.
    love it....i only had a little one
    had it years and someone made a gun carriage for it so its a display piece.....will put a pic up later