Thread: A day at the range: Some questions

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    tinbum is online now Killer Vampire Lesbians on scooters
    Quote Originally Posted by Black Beard View Post
    What are you putting in them?

Also, check the bullet diameter between the two with a micrometer.
    Round nose 8.99mm, HP 9.01mm nominal. I am using 5.2grn Vectran BA9 and there is no compacting of the powder. I will head back to the range with a chrono in the next couple of days as I am not happy firing 9mm in my home indoor range.

Quote Originally Posted by tinbum View Post
    Round nose 8.99mm, HP 9.01mm nominal. I am using 5.2grn Vectran BA9 and there is no compacting of the powder. I will head back to the range with a chrono in the next couple of days as I am not happy firing 9mm in my home indoor range.
    You can go off people you know!
    [I]DesG
    Domani e troppo tardi

I'd drop the charge a bit to 4.5 grains on the hollow points and leave it there if it feels okay. The FMJs look slightly undersize which will reduce their pressure a fair bit in jacketed.

Since last we spoke I bought more powder, but they were out of my usual and I got something different.

Quelle Horreur!

I have gone from Vectan BA9 (tiny grains) to Vectan A1 (big flakes). The shop assured me this burns cleaner and suggested just 3.7gr behind the 124g FMJ. This corresponds with near the upper limit of what the chart says, which is what I used with the BA9 also.

I loaded ten to try tomorrow, I have a new brass catcher to test too, so two birds and all that.

Military brass is designed to eject forcefully and randomly in order to go down the collar of the person shooting on your right and thus randomise their score. Anyone who has ever fired the SLR on the century range will attest to this.
    [I]DesG
    Domani e troppo tardi

Quote Originally Posted by DesG View Post
    Military brass is designed to eject forcefully and randomly in order to go down the collar of the person shooting on your right and thus randomise their score. Anyone who has ever fired the SLR on the century range will attest to this.
    Innit tho!? My favoured lane is the extreme left for the permanent 25m gongs, there are no lane dividers so everyone else is liberally sprayed with hot brass.
    Unfortunately this kit brings out the Arnie in everyone who tries it, so it was a brass catcher or become a social leopard

when in forces i got screamed at by a marine as i was shooting at the end on the right........i shoot left handed
    the lad to my left was ejecting his spent cases into my face and head lol......it never bothered me or my score but the marine wasnt happy about it and told us to stop

last time I was on the range in Switzerland there was a guy shooting his Luger, there was a tremendous amount of sparks coming out of the barrel, almost like a mini dragons breath , apparently he had a load of magnum primers to get rid of and used them on his 9mm
    You Cannot Reason People Out of Something They Were Not Reasoned Into
    "Politicians like to panic, they need activity. It is their substitute for achievement" Sir Humphry Appleby

in my experience, pistol range boxes are designed to bounce the cases down the back of your neck (or cleavage for the ladies )
    You Cannot Reason People Out of Something They Were Not Reasoned Into
    "Politicians like to panic, they need activity. It is their substitute for achievement" Sir Humphry Appleby

I’d advise seating the HP bullets a little longer than you are currently. 9mm is one of the most pressure sensitive calibres that you’ll load, and a little difference in OAL can make a substantial difference in pressure.

If you think about it, the FMJ and HP bullets that you’re using are the same weight, yet the HP has a large void at the front. Therefore, the extra mass has to go somewhere, so will obviously make the bullet slightly longer. When you consider that the bullet is seated off (roughly) the ogive, the seating die doesn’t factor for the hollow point section, but rather seats the bullet the same distance from the head of the case.

The extra bullet length inside the case results in the slightly higher pressure. Try seating the bullet 2mm further out of the case, but obviously check the round in your barrel to see that it’s not engaging the lands when chambered.

Hope this helps.

Jonathan.