Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Accles & Shelvoke Warrior.

Cocking Spring Powered Air Pistols.

Just been passing the time by checking over some of my collection that rarely see the light of day under normal circumstances.. Not long after I stated collecting early spring powered air pistols, I became fascinated with the different methods developed to cock them. Over lever, under lever, side lever, crank wound, push-in etc.

Although some are bit harder to cock than others, this usually becomes easier once the specific knack has been acquired. Anyway, although none are as easy to cock for me as the classic Webley over lever design, I have found the Warrior side lever pretty easy and not nearly as awkward as the German designs. In my experience, the worst and most awkward are the Cogswell & Harrison Certus and the Parker Crank Wound pistols.

Brian
    Last edited by Abasmajor; 27-01-2021 at 02:23 PM.

Amazing condition

Lovely looking Warrior Mr Major. Have been tempted by a Warrior off and on for a while now. I do like to use what I have so could I ask if the trigger is as bad as I have been told and what FPS do you get?.

Quote Originally Posted by Stock Detective View Post
    Lovely looking Warrior Mr Major. Have been tempted by a Warrior off and on for a while now. I do like to use what I have so could I ask if the trigger is as bad as I have been told and what FPS do you get?.
    Hello,

The trigger release on the Warrior isn't quite as nice as a typical Webley model, but perfectly usable and I'm sure would feel better with practice.
    I haven't put it through a chronograph but would estimate it is doing something between 300 and 350 fps based on the few times I have used it in anger.
    If I was looking for something classic to shoot regularly and didn't already have a nice early Webley Senior, that would be my choice. However, the nearest to a Webley would be an Abas Major or an Acvoke with the Warrior probably next in line.

I love these early Concentric air pistols together with high quality of the pre-war British air pistols.

Brian

That's very nice Brian.

I did have a .22 Warrior for a while but the condition was poor and although I don't mind low power pistols, in .22 it wasn't a good shooter so I sold it on.

I did quite like the cocking method though, and I agree the frontward pulling side lever is quite comfortable to use.

I always thought if I ever see a nice one in .177 for a good price I'd get it.

Never seen one as nice as yours though, can we have a few more pics of some of the details? The breech lock-up mechanism I always found very pleasing.

Cheers,
    Matt

I have a Warrior and an Akvoke Warrior , both in .177. I would love to have them in .22 as well but though I have seen a few Akvoke Warriors in that calibre, I have never seen an original one

Quote Originally Posted by WebleyWombler View Post
    I have a Warrior and an Akvoke Warrior , both in .177. I would love to have them in .22 as well but though I have seen a few Akvoke Warriors in that calibre, I have never seen an original one
    I think Protek have .22 one for sale at the moment, though not in the best condition:
    http://www.proteksupplies.co.uk/airpistolsused.html

Only just twigged that 'Acvoke' is an abbreviation of 'Accles & Shelvoke'

There we go, I've learnt something today

Matt
    Last edited by ptdunk; 27-01-2021 at 05:27 PM.

Kind Neighbour

Whilst sulking in my shed recently, a neighbour said, 'here yer go' and gave me an early Warrior.
    I already had a later model, which ticked the box, so this was bunce.

Despite many attempts to pay, no money would be accepted, so a delivery of wine landed.

I now have a massive 9 pistols and can't do any of them justice

I, too, love the workmanship of early British pistols, my favourite out of mine is a lovely boxed MK11 Target. Just lately though have really enjoyed using a recently acquired Webley Junior series 2. Surprisingly accurate for a smooth bore.

The grip plates on the Accles & Shelvoke Warrior are the same as those used on Frank Clarke's 7th Series Titan probably left over from when production of the Titan
    ceased and another indication of his involvement with the development of the Warrior as well as his considerable contribution to the Webley design.

Brian
    Last edited by Abasmajor; 27-01-2021 at 09:25 PM.

ccdjg is offline Airgun Alchemist, Collector and Scribe
    Quote Originally Posted by Abasmajor View Post
    The grip plates on the Accles & Shelvoke Warrior are the same as those used on Frank Clarke's 7th Series Titan probably left over from when production of the Titan
    ceased and another indication of his involvement with the development of the Warrior as well as his considerable contribution to the Webley design.

Brian
    A slight correction Brian, as I think you have confused the Anson Star with the Warrior. It was the Star that made use of surplus grips from the Titan, and it was given a similar grip rake to accommodate them. The Warrior, with its more angled rake, needed specifically designed plates.

Interestingly though, there is some evidence that Clarke and Anson might have been considering using surplus Titan grips in the very early stages of the Warrior's development. The Warrior patent drawings show the pistol with a more vertical rake than the production models, one that would take the Titan grips. Also a Frank Clarke catalogue shows an artist's impression of the Warrior with Titan grips.

Cheers,
    John

micky2 is offline The collector formerly known as micky
    Just been passing the time by checking over some of my collection that rarely see the light of day under normal circumstances.. Not long after I stated collecting early spring powered air pistols, I became fascinated with the different methods developed to cock them. Over lever, under lever, side lever, crank wound, push-in etc.

Although some are bit harder to cock than others, this usually becomes easier once the specific knack has been acquired. Anyway, although none are as easy to cock for me as the classic Webley over lever design, I have found the Warrior side lever pretty easy and not nearly as awkward as the German designs. In my experience, the worst and most awkward are the Cogswell & Harrison Certus and the Parker Crank Wound pistols.

Brian
    What a cracker. best one l have ever seen.

Quote Originally Posted by ccdjg View Post
    A slight correction Brian, as I think you have confused the Anson Star with the Warrior. It was the Star that made use of surplus grips from the Titan, and it was given a similar grip rake to accommodate them. The Warrior, with its more angled rake, needed specifically designed plates.

Interestingly though, there is some evidence that Clarke and Anson might have been considering using surplus Titan grips in the very early stages of the Warrior's development. The Warrior patent drawings show the pistol with a more vertical rake than the production models, one that would take the Titan grips. Also a Frank Clarke catalogue shows an artist's impression of the Warrior with Titan grips.

Cheers,
    John
    Hello John,
    Apologies for the error which I should have realised as I knew Frank Clarke had an that involvement with the Star from reading your book.
    Going back to difficult cocking methods, Anson's Star must be fairly high on the list of hard to cock air pistols.
    Brian

Quote Originally Posted by ptdunk View Post
    That's very nice Brian.

I did have a .22 Warrior for a while but the condition was poor and although I don't mind low power pistols, in .22 it wasn't a good shooter so I sold it on.

I did quite like the cocking method though, and I agree the frontward pulling side lever is quite comfortable to use.

I always thought if I ever see a nice one in .177 for a good price I'd get it.

Never seen one as nice as yours though, can we have a few more pics of some of the details? The breech lock-up mechanism I always found very pleasing.

Cheers,
    Matt
    Hi Matt,

Mine is in .177calibre and in the later black box which I think is the rarer of the two boxes produced. There are also a couple of handwritten notes on the lid interior which obviously meant something to somebody.

Brian

Hi Matt,

Mine is in .177calibre and in the later black box which I think is the rarer of the two boxes produced. There are also a couple of handwritten notes on the lid interior which obviously meant something to somebody.

Brian
    Thanks Brian,
    There’s some nice phrasing on that lid:
    ‘Very simple in construction, it needs very little instruction’ has a poetic ring to it.
    First time I’ve ever heard of a trigger ‘falling into bent’
    Artwork is very fine too.

I notice it recommends transferring the pistol to your left hand to cock and load it, then presumably back to your right for firing.
    I don’t know about you but I used to hold the pistol in me right hand and just rotate it anti clockwise to open the cocking arm with my left hand.

I did a very impromptu video of my old one 3 years ago, comparing it very briefly to a record Jumbo.

https://youtu.be/BujAX57fD-U

Rewatching it I definitely want a .177 one at some point in the future.

Cheers,
    Matt