Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sudden interest in BP?

Turnup is offline Dialling code‎: ‎01344
    Quote Originally Posted by DesG View Post
    Likewise. If someone wants to be a hero I'll put 65gn in, but I've never seen the point of scaring newbies. They just wont come back.
    Absolutely agree. A chap I know used to delight in letting a newbie shoot his .357 magnum revolver, with target load 38 specials except for the last chamber which had a full factory magnum. What a hoot [NOT], at the expense of another newbie we never see again. Have a bit of a laugh with experienced shooters by all (safe) means but it's already daunting enough for someone not used to guns - be welcoming and be gentle.
    True freedom includes the freedom to make mistakes or do foolish things and bear the consequences.
    TANSTAAFL

Slab

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.C View Post
    I'm guessing 250 cartridges. That's how they're packed in blocks of 10 boxes each containing 25 carts, commonly referred to as a slab. 4 slabs to a 1000.
    Yep. Quite correct thats 500 smokey bangs. I load 12g 70grains of black and 28 grams of 7 shot. Can be used as a game load and atomises clays.
    When I die don't let my wife sell my guns for what she thinks I gave for them!!!

Quote Originally Posted by tacfoley View Post
    Please explain 'slab'. TVM
    Its another slang term that has crept into the English language.

I went to Toolstation for fence staples. They did not know what I meant. I eventually got it across what I wanted and then suddenly the assistant had a light bulb moment and said "Ahhhh "U" nails"!

Quote Originally Posted by enfield2band View Post
    Its another slang term that has crept into the English language.

I went to Toolstation for fence staples. They did not know what I meant. I eventually got it across what I wanted and then suddenly the assistant had a light bulb moment and said "Ahhhh "U" nails"!
    Now THAT'S a new one!!!

when i offer chaps to shoot my martini henry and show them the cartridge you can see the fear in their faces as they decline lol
    i just say its only 480gn bullet being pushed by 85gns of swiss no 3 bp
    i dont use this load normally just wanted to see if any benefit of using a proper military service load......normally shoot around 70-75 gns

My 577 ph musketoon is rather unpleasant with the full service charge, but a pussycat with 40gn.
    [I]DesG
    Domani e troppo tardi

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.C View Post
    I'm guessing 250 cartridges. That's how they're packed in blocks of 10 boxes each containing 25 carts, commonly referred to as a slab. 4 slabs to a 1000.
    Aware of this term relating to cartridge quantities.
    I work in the 'stone' industry, 'Slabs' are slices varying from 12mm to 40mm of stone cut from quarried cubes/blocks. Slabs also referred to as 'scants' tho not so widely. Depending on type of stone, can vary from 325x210cm to 190x140cm.
    Bit bigger than slab of cartridges.