Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sudden interest in BP?

Sudden interest in BP?

I've been making BP storage boxes for a couple of years just to keep myself busy and to supplement my shooting. I usually sell one or two a month. This week I've sold six already.

Does this mean that the UK is going to disappear under a cloud of blackpowder smoke when the lockdown ends!
    [I]DesG
    Domani e troppo tardi

I must admit I recently turned to the "black arts"... I resisted them after the 1997 hand-in, moving to rifles instead, but recently thought I'd give it a go.

So far, (because of lock-downs) i've only been to the range with my Remington NMA twice, but it seems ok, and being stainless i don't have to worry too much about cleaning it, which was the original reason I dismissed them... run the barrel and cylinders under a tap, dunk the rest in a U/S cleaner (without the grips!) for 10 mins, relube and call it good..

Sorry Des, I made my own BP storage box..

Daryll.

markreid is offline Happy to be fishing and shooting
    Been shooting black powder for a few years after being introduced to it by some older members of my local club, at the time it was very niche part of the club, but in the last two years seems to be quite a lot of probationary members and new member taking up the dark art.
    There is no such thing as a dangerous gun, there are dangeruous people though

A year or so ago I got a bit bored shooting modern highly accurate rifles, seemed to take a bit of the fun out of my shooting. So apart from my vermin control rifles I've sold a lot of my target rifles and gone very much BP orientated, got those big smiles back again even if I get no score on the target, it's just so much fun and I have now got around 10 rifles / muskets and half a dozen pistols the latest a late 1700's heavy Dragoon pistol of huge bore just can't wait to shoot that. Well and truly turned to the dark side and loving it !

The infamous black powder grin. I always try to video bp virgin’s first shot. They walk up to the firing line like the condemned man to the scaffold. They gird their loins and fire a shot, Then the big grin!
    [I]DesG
    Domani e troppo tardi

Just so bud, broke my virginity with a Snider carbine and .44 Colt dragoon, this black powder shooting gets right under your skin eh .

Black powder

Just finished loading my second slab of 12g black powder cartridges to shoot out of my two old hammerguns when we can. Son also bought me a lovely 1835 double English percussion shotgun for Christmas. Only got to shoot it once. Gonna be lots of smoke after this lockdown.
    When I die don't let my wife sell my guns for what she thinks I gave for them!!!

Grin

Quote Originally Posted by DesG View Post
    The infamous black powder grin. I always try to video bp virgin’s first shot. They walk up to the firing line like the condemned man to the scaffold. They gird their loins and fire a shot, Then the big grin!
    I love to see this.
    When I die don't let my wife sell my guns for what she thinks I gave for them!!!

Quote Originally Posted by DesG View Post
    I won't be giving up CF rifles any time soon but will admit to being BP curious, variation in. 1st ever shot was interesting and resulted in a bruised nose, was rather more than the soft push I was expecting.

I can't wait to fumigate the range with BP smoke once we get to shoot there again just to ensure and nasty germs are gone.
    I love the grin you get when you see someone watching the gun loaded for the first time, then when they fire it you just know they wont turn back.
    I had my first try with Bloke from here letting me try his Uberti 1858 NMA, didn't hit anything but didn't care it was heaven. I then invested in a Pietta copy of the same pistol and have tried various others since, I think a real eye opener was first try at clay shooting with a single barrel percussion gun, being a fullbore target shooter the idea of leading a target was somewhat a new concept, having to lead by twice the amount because it was a BP gun was even stranger..
    Sorry I built my own box and have done several others for people since, its all in the fun of shooting.
    Good Deals with Mikewaring, ggggr, watchsapart, Majex45, Nhill, zebedee71,Eredel,Hawksthorn,Red Bob, Stanbridge,Barrow_Matt,Mr.Fixit-Norm, turbo33 .atb thankyou all Neil

Quote Originally Posted by martini1215 View Post
    I can't wait to fumigate the range with BP smoke once we get to shoot there again just to ensure and nasty germs are gone.
    I love the grin you get when you see someone watching the gun loaded for the first time, then when they fire it you just know they wont turn back.
    I had my first try with Bloke from here letting me try his Uberti 1858 NMA, didn't hit anything but didn't care it was heaven. I then invested in a Pietta copy of the same pistol and have tried various others since, I think a real eye opener was first try at clay shooting with a single barrel percussion gun, being a fullbore target shooter the idea of leading a target was somewhat a new concept, having to lead by twice the amount because it was a BP gun was even stranger..
    Sorry I built my own box and have done several others for people since, its all in the fun of shooting.
    Well done. Club members often tell me they're going to make their own box then a week later have one of mine! If you don't have the tools it's not so easy.
    [I]DesG
    Domani e troppo tardi

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.C View Post
    I won't be giving up CF rifles any time soon but will admit to being BP curious, variation in. 1st ever shot was interesting and resulted in a bruised nose, was rather more than the soft push I was expecting.
    Ah, yes. Somebody was just taking the p*** out of you that time. On guest days I load a .58cal Musketoon with that HUGE Minié bullet over just 45gr of 2Fg - it's a good intro.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Dunkley View Post
    Just finished loading my second slab of 12g black powder cartridges to shoot out of my two old hammerguns when we can. Son also bought me a lovely 1835 double English percussion shotgun for Christmas. Only got to shoot it once. Gonna be lots of smoke after this lockdown.
    Please explain 'slab'. TVM

Quote Originally Posted by tacfoley View Post
    Please explain 'slab'. TVM
    I'm guessing 250 cartridges. That's how they're packed in blocks of 10 boxes each containing 25 carts, commonly referred to as a slab. 4 slabs to a 1000.

Quote Originally Posted by tacfoley View Post
    Ah, yes. Somebody was just taking the p*** out of you that time. On guest days I load a .58cal Musketoon with that HUGE Minié bullet over just 45gr of 2Fg - it's a good intro.
    Likewise. If someone wants to be a hero I'll put 65gn in, but I've never seen the point of scaring newbies. They just wont come back.
    [I]DesG
    Domani e troppo tardi