Thread: Reloading die's

Reloading die's

I wonder if anybody on here can help me locate some reloading dies or even a neck sizing die in 9.5x47R for a 1880's German target rifle I have just got my hands on. I can get some CH4D ones from Germany but at 210 euro plus shell holder plus postage they will be half the price of the rifle. I have bought some cases from Kranks no problem but finding it very hard to source die's.
    Cheers,
    Mick.

presumably you will be using lead projectiles?

I think that you ought to read THIS before you go any further.....

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-5x47R-loading

I recently acquired a 9.5x47R SWISS MARTINI RIFLE,
    After slugging the barrel and tinkering,
    it turned out to be a 10.5x47R,
    which in a way has turned out to be a good thing as everything for the 10.5 is easier to acquire or make,
    good luck with your project,
    T

Quote Originally Posted by TALL View Post
    I recently acquired a 9.5x47R SWISS MARTINI RIFLE, After slugging the barrel and tinkering, it turned out to be a 10.5x47R, which in a way has turned out to be a good thing as everything for the 10.5 is easier to acquire or make, good luck with your project, T
    That also figures in the text of my additional reading link from castboolits...

do not want to jump on this guys 9.5 question and change it to 10.5,
    but i did find the 10.5x47R real easy to make rounds for,
    after an initial search for 9.5 dies, and the shock at the price,
    that was when i slugged it and it came out .419, much to my surprise,
    not that i can get out to the range to try it any time soon,
    there is always next year,
    T

Hi guys,
    Thanks for your reply's and concerns, I will slug the barrel as I will get a bullet mold made for it along with one for my Adams Dragoon revolver by Tom at Accurate molds.
    This is a German schuetzen target rifle from the late 1800's, bolt action ( like the Mauser 71 ) in very good condition. These were made by numerous gunsmiths, mostly to fit the individual shooter and in a great variety of calibers. I have 5 cartridges with it and am sure I am right in the caliber BUT it will be double checked and checked again before it is ever shot, and then only light fire forming charges with no bullet to start with.
    Thanks,
    Mick.

PS,
    Yes I will be using lead projectiles mag44uk maybe with a small percentage of tin ( 2% ) ? and thanks Tacfoley I had already found that article but it's nice you bothered to find it. Also I will take a cast of the chamber soon, got a needle fire rook rifle to sort out first.
    Cheers,
    Mick.

Sounds interesting.
    You might not need any dies to reload it.
    Lee universal decapping die.
    Depending on dimensions you may find the bullet will just "thumb" into the case mouth.
    I had a martini henry on fac for a while and only used the shell holder out the die set!

Hi mag44uk,
    In fact you could be right, done that with my Snider carbine, and some of these rifles ( more the falling block actions ) you pushed the bullets into the breech with a special tool and then put in a cartridge with powder and a wad in the case neck ! As I've got some brass and you can get more from certain company's in the uk that is probably a goer. If I get around to it I will try and post some photo's of it and the cases.
    Cheers,
    Mick.