Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Just been shooting my FAC Pro Elite...

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia

Just been shooting my FAC Pro Elite...

...after an enforced 6 year separation...

What a gun. Even though it's doing about 20 FP, it's a lot calmer than a factory HW95 at 11 FP. Easy to cock, great trigger, and awesomely accurate.

I know it's too big for a 12 Fp gun, and I know that fac springers don't really make much sense in the UK, but it's still a great piece of engineering. I was going to convert it to an HW80 seal (shortening the stroke 1/4" as a bonus), and lighten the piston a bit, but I'm not sure there's much to be gained... will probably just wait for the seal to wear out.

It was great to pick it up after such a long break, and with barely a couple of clicks of the scope turrets, be hitting everything I aimed at...
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Quote Originally Posted by Shed tuner View Post

What a gun. Even though it's doing about 20 FP, it's a lot calmer than a factory HW95 at 11 FP. Easy to cock, great trigger, and awesomely accurate.

I know it's too big for a 12 Fp gun, and I know that fac springers don't really make much sense in the UK, but it's still a great piece of engineering. I was going to convert it to an HW80 seal (shortening the stroke 1/4" as a bonus), and lighten the piston a bit, but I'm not sure there's much to be gained... will probably just wait for the seal to wear out.

It was great to pick it up after such a long break, and with barely a couple of clicks of the scope turrets, be hitting everything I aimed at...
    Hi Jon
    The Pro/elite as always been my favourite airgun.
    I have not had the opportunity to shoot one in FAC.
    My 2 have been optimized for 12fb so have the reduced cylinder conversion by V-mach.
    I still think nothing shoots as nice as a well sorted Pro/elite.
    Les..

its strange i find after a while shooting a pcp,it takes me a couple of shots to actually hit anything with a springer,lol

Would love to get my hands on one of these, very jealous

Maybe one day.....

Barryg is offline Registered ̶D̶i̶a̶n̶a̶ User
    Quote Originally Posted by GB2017 View Post

Maybe one day.....
    I know how you feel
    20 years ago I had a choice of a PE or a 80 they was selling PE's off cheap at the time and I went for the 80

I was looking at a pic of the PE breech and was wondering if the TP is short as it looks like it is.

Pro Elite

I must say the 25mm vmach conversion on a pro elite turns a good rifle in to a wonderful rifle. Hate to say but I think they shoot better than a 25mm 80. Mach 1.5

Quote Originally Posted by GB2017 View Post

Maybe one day.....
    I have just taken a deposit on my pro elite I had in the swaps section. 9.9/10 condition, boxed, all paperwork manuals, bought new in I'll health, not shot and given through inheritance. Thought I might have had more interest in all honesty.

Quote Originally Posted by jonnyovy View Post
    I have just taken a deposit on my pro elite I had in the swaps section. 9.9/10 condition, boxed, all paperwork manuals, bought new in I'll health, not shot and given through inheritance. Thought I might have had more interest in all honesty.
    Dont often look in swaps tbh as i want to keep all of my guns if it had been in sales well completely another thing

harvey_s is offline Lost love child of David Niven and Victoria Beckham
    Quote Originally Posted by jonnyovy View Post
    Probably would have if you put in Sales section...

Yeah had 1 too. Somewhere in 2002ish. Bought new. .22 FAC.Accurate gun easy to shoot
    But sold it when I got my Webley Tomahawk back from its lazaglide at Steve's.
    Now the AA had some weird noises compared to the Webley that I never noticed before I had the comparison.
    The AA was a tad too long for me too (in FT position)and tad too heavy for on the arm shooting. Tommy fits me great. So sold the AA and really never looked back
    ATB,
    yana

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    Quote Originally Posted by Mach 1.5 View Post
    I must say the 25mm vmach conversion on a pro elite turns a good rifle in to a wonderful rifle. Hate to say but I think they shoot better than a 25mm 80. Mach 1.5
    yup, I love my 25mm UK PE

Quote Originally Posted by Barryg View Post
    I was looking at a pic of the PE breech and was wondering if the TP is short as it looks like it is.
    ]
    Nah, the TP is actually much longer than the 80s, at around 15mm
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Barryg is offline Registered ̶D̶i̶a̶n̶a̶ User

Nah, the TP is actually much longer than the 80s, at around 15mm
    Thanks for the info on the TP it does surprise me though I wonder why AA didn't take advantage of that nice setup to have a short TP.

Quote Originally Posted by Barryg View Post
    Thanks for the info on the TP it does surprise me though I wonder why AA didn't take advantage of that nice setup to have a short TP.
    The breech jaw/end plug and main cylinder need to be attached somehow, generally with the cylinder being female, and breech jaws/end plug being male. The length of TP can be dependent on what joining method is used (threaded/brazed etc).
    Also the longer it is, the less effect machining tolerances will have on the angle of the barrel relative to the action.
    Super short TP's are only really viable for sliding comp tube actions.

Hw80 (12mm?) Is probably the shortest you could reasonably go. But maybe the pro elite designer favoured a longer port for an alignment or joining reason?

I'd never even seen one in the flesh so to speak until last spring, i'd gone to the range to cut the grass, & was waiting for the shooters to stand down, when a member beckoned me over to show me his, it was fac 20+ftlb i was told, he'd owned it from new, it hadn't been shot for a couple of years & he was just giving it an airing, i had a shoot & thought it was a bit rough, but maybe thats just me, but having shot fac 80's i thought them better, but thats just my opinion

Always lovely to be acquainted after such a long, enforced break, Jon.

And great to hear you still love it to bits.

You working away at the moment?
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!