Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Just been shooting my FAC Pro Elite...

Quote Originally Posted by Rotherham Owl View Post
    I've had some further info on this that I am sure you will all find interesting & have amended the Pro Elite page on my site - https://www.airarmsanorak.co.uk/air-arms-pro-elite
    Excellent. I’d never have guessed that it was down to the Arabs.

Quote Originally Posted by Geezer View Post
    Excellent. I’d never have guessed that it was down to the Arabs.
    They will be in an armory in 'some barracks' after being looked after for years by a British Military trained Armorer

========================
    Frank

Very nice Frank. Do you know the history of it & what is the serial number.

I can see it a very early one as there is only one stock screw on either side.

You have probably noticed that the part number for the rear sight has the prefix "TX" so maybe there were plans at some time for open sights for the TX.
    Paint chipping for Air Arms & Ireland HFT Teams.

I think they only ever had one stock screw either side, my P/e’s are the same as Frakor’s.
    The early pro/sport had single stock screws if I remember correctly.
    Les..

Cheers Les - Senior moment!
    Paint chipping for Air Arms & Ireland HFT Teams.

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    Quote Originally Posted by les allam View Post
    I think they only ever had one stock screw either side, my P/e’s are the same as Frakor’s.
    The early pro/sport had single stock screws if I remember correctly.
    Les..
    yup, was going to say the same... both mine are like this too (no open sights though)
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

I would definitely like to use open sights on one of my P/e’s, I’d probably hit bugger all with my poor eyesight ldgrin.
    Mr Frakor has got some very interesting guns in his collection for sure.
    Les..

Quote Originally Posted by Rotherham Owl View Post
    Very nice Frank. Do you know the history of it & what is the serial number.

I can see it a very early one as there is only one stock screw on either side.

You have probably noticed that the part number for the rear sight has the prefix "TX" so maybe there were plans at some time for open sights for the TX.
    The serial number is 025048 and it was bought from the 3e Dutch owner, as far as I know.
    The rearsight had a hidden problem, the base was cracked and wonkey, that was the reason the rifle was sold on and on as it wouldn't group properly.
    I took the gamble and bought it cheapish and resolved the problems, its working perfect now.
    Nice thing to know ones way around airguns as I recogniced the rearsight and found a brand new one......

==================
    Frank

My .22 PE was an early gun and the end plug was drilled and tapped for the rear sight attaching screw. My .177 PE was a year or two later and didn't have the tapped hole. The .22 had a separate pivot bolt locking ring, part#BB268, on the right side threaded end, but the .177 was only threaded into the receiver fork and didn't have the recess for the lock ring. My .22 shot a very tight spread as well with 20 shots strings only showing 5 fps between high and low shots. The .177 was around 9 fps spread for 10 shots. The .22 shot 14.3 Premiers 829 to 834 fps with an average of 830 fps, so dead on 22 ft. lbs. Should have kept that gun, but I bought a mint Mark1 TX200 SR with the money. Just noticed that parts diagram is missing the little screw that keeps the pivot bolt from turning. There were 2 holes for the screw which allowed a fine adjustment into the scalloped head of the pivot bolt. In other words, you could turn the pivot half a scallop and use the other hole for the set screw.
    Last edited by FPoole; 26-02-2021 at 01:04 AM.

interesting, going to check my pivot bolt... I've a feeling it has the locking collar, but not the keeper screw.
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Quick question for all of the PE owners - what size scope do you find balances your rifle the best? I know everybody will be different, just interested.

I have a Hertel & Reuss 6x46 with ladder type ret on my .177 P/E.
    My .22 P/E has a Leupold 3-9x40 black gloss finish.
    I prefer smaller objective scopes on my guns.
    Atb
    Les..

Quote Originally Posted by charub View Post
    Quick question for all of the PE owners - what size scope do you find balances your rifle the best? I know everybody will be different, just interested.
    Unfortunately I cannot answer this from a depth of experience of various scopes.
    I think the .22 example I have here has the Simmons Deerfield x50 that it came with and they are well matched. Both gun and scope being of similar vintage I think.
    Don't think I've ever scoped the .177 from memory but I'm not sure that I'd really go beyond x40 really?
    Not sure how the '80 and PE compare weight wise but despite not having done a side by side comparison session I feel the PE is better balanced from word go and has a better chance of a good outcome when scoped.
    Trust me I love my 80 but the PE is a better gun overall....
    Dave

mine both have mid weight 40 mm zooms on medium mounts. seems to balance out fine.