Quote Originally Posted by Shed tuner View Post
they are more like top hats - very solid, for sure...
They are indeed very solid but unfortunately also very unobtainable these days with chambers having off listed them this long time.
I'm not an engineering type but the shim set up on these guns seems quite a well thought out set up. The whole system is very closely fitted, with (it seems to me) some space behind to put some moly lube to keep everything working well. Larger breech bolt set up than the 80 and it seems to me that the shim is allowed to rotated within its space in the breech block creating a low friction set up (unless I have that completely wrong)? Most other break barrel designs impart quite high stress and friction (and potential for wear) around the breech bolt so I think this is a clever design to try an ensure consistent lock up and longer term accuracy.
I can well believe AA citing high production costs v slim profit margins on the gun. A great shame as the whole gun puts many other makes in the shade. Perhaps there was a limit to how much we the airgunning public are prepared to pay for a well engineered gun. They should perhaps have sold the gun from the outset at a higher mark up? Looking at the current price of the TX and PS they seem to have learned from this. And look at what the latest FWB Sport costs? Reality is that quality costs.
I certainly wouldn't knock the HW80. It's a solid gun and I own several including a highly modified version. The sales of the gun and it's longevity speak for itself. However on an engineering angle and quality of finish the PE blows it away.
All this talk makes me want to dig out one of mine and give it a session on the greys.
Dave