Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Old guns booming .

Old guns booming .

Antiques

Cant see why the interest. I love them but cant see why the sudden interest I know you can keep an antique muzzle loading shotgun off licence but does that apply to muzzle loading rifles too? Be a good thing if it causes more retailers to stock black powder. I have a 60 mile drive each way to get mine.
    When I die don't let my wife sell my guns for what she thinks I gave for them!!!

Unframed Dave is offline World pork pie juggling champion three years straight
    I would think any business that can sell goods online and offer delivery will be thriving at the moment.

A lot of the population's income hasn't changed, they're not holidaying, they're not in pubs or restaurants and they have time on their hands to do research. A couple of retired guys we know are each saving 12.5K a year alone on larger, larger alone ffs.

I've bought so much forestry stuff in the last few weeks, it's ridiculous. But man, I'm cutting wood quickly. Next winter is going to be very toasty.

Dave
    Smell my cheese

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Dunkley View Post
    Cant see why the interest. I love them but cant see why the sudden interest I know you can keep an antique muzzle loading shotgun off licence but does that apply to muzzle loading rifles too? Be a good thing if it causes more retailers to stock black powder. I have a 60 mile drive each way to get mine.
    You can keep pretty much anything that is classed as antique (Sect 58) rifled or not, provided that you have no intention of firing it. Technically having black powder in the house could be construed as intending to fire your antiques even though you may have other licensed bp guns as well. I have quite a collection of old guns and sometimes have one or another transferred to my licence so that I can shoot it. There is a period of time from you thinking ‘I fancy firing that’ to getting it on your licence that you have an unlicensed firearm with intent to fire it! Isn’t our gun licensing good?
    [I]DesG
    Domani e troppo tardi

Licence

Yep it's potty. I recently acquired an antique muzzle loader and needed the barrels inspecting and to discover the true bore. The RFD I used would not touch it unless it was on my licence! "it was" It had to be as I load 12g black powder cartridges so had the means to shoot the muzzle loader.
    When I die don't let my wife sell my guns for what she thinks I gave for them!!!

Yep it's potty. I recently acquired an antique muzzle loader and needed the barrels inspecting and to discover the true bore. The RFD I used would not touch it unless it was on my licence! "it was" It had to be as I load 12g black powder cartridges so had the means to shoot the muzzle loader.
    and yet I have loads of antiques which are not on licence. My local firearms people only wish to know about any given gun if and when I want to fire it. I think your RFD was out of order with his demands. You might well want to have a gun inspected for safety BEFORE you have it put on licence.
    [I]DesG
    Domani e troppo tardi

Quote Originally Posted by DesG View Post
    You can keep pretty much anything that is classed as antique (Sect 58) rifled or not, provided that you have no intention of firing it. Technically having black powder in the house could be construed as intending to fire your antiques even though you may have other licensed bp guns as well. I have quite a collection of old guns and sometimes have one or another transferred to my licence so that I can shoot it. There is a period of time from you thinking ‘I fancy firing that’ to getting it on your licence that you have an unlicensed firearm with intent to fire it! Isn’t our gun licensing good?
    i have sniders and martinis on ticket but also have sec 58 sniders and martinis too.
    also a few gahendras / EIC 1842 muskets and 3 band enfields lol.
    i may put a musket on ticket one day to see what they are like.......got a few rare variants too

Yup as long as it is an antique and of obsolete caliber. I do not have an FAC but I do have a couple of Martini Henry rifles, a pinfire shotgun, French Gras cadet and a Werndl rifle. I also used to own a Snider, Mannlicher 1886, couple of pinfire revolvers and other muzzle loading shotguns ect. Just ordered a Schmitt Rubin 1889 as well. All of them classed as obsolete and antique. If I wished to shoot them then of course I would need to get a licence.

As for the sudden interest, one word. Boredom. That is why gun prices have gone up. Same reason as to why dog prices have gone up to.

Sad thing is, in a way, the prices may not go back to pre lockdown levels. Good for seller, but bad for poor buyers like me....

always fancied a 11mm pinfire revolver but most of them look ugly....

Quote Originally Posted by Huttles94 View Post
    Yup as long as it is an antique and of obsolete caliber. I do not have an FAC but I do have a couple of Martini Henry rifles, a pinfire shotgun, French Gras cadet and a Werndl rifle. I also used to own a Snider, Mannlicher 1886, couple of pinfire revolvers and other muzzle loading shotguns ect. Just ordered a Schmitt Rubin 1889 as well. All of them classed as obsolete and antique. If I wished to shoot them then of course I would need to get a licence.

As for the sudden interest, one word. Boredom. That is why gun prices have gone up. Same reason as to why dog prices have gone up to.

Sad thing is, in a way, the prices may not go back to pre lockdown levels. Good for seller, but bad for poor buyers like me....
    Do not all have to be of obsolete calibre muzzle loaders before 1939 are exempt.

yes, as an example an Indian copy of a muzzle loader made 10 years ago has to go on a licence.
    The originally made one would not

Do not all have to be of obsolete calibre muzzle loaders before 1939 are exempt.
    Muzzle loaders themselves are classed as obsolete (regardless of what size projectile they use). Only ones you need a licence for are the reproductions made after 1939 such as the Parker hale or Italian made ones.

Licence

Quote Originally Posted by Huttles94 View Post
    Muzzle loaders themselves are classed as obsolete (regardless of what size projectile they use). Only ones you need a licence for are the reproductions made after 1939 such as the Parker hale or Italian made ones.

Or if you intend to shoot them!

this is my type 2 1842 eic musket......only 5000 made and you can just make out the lion on the lock plate as now dons a muslim cresent moon symbol i believe....its wrapped up and stored away at min so this is just from memory.
    it was discussed on another forum.
    barrel by breasley and an early lock too.....

https://i.postimg.cc/B6gL3GXv/type-2-fusil.jpg

a bit of info on it https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/...199068#p199068
    Last edited by loiner1965; 10-02-2021 at 11:10 AM.

I understand the regulations with regard to antique and modern firearms, and the requirement for antiques being subject to a FAC if being used, also the requirement of a Black powder licence here in the UK, but am interested to know what the regulations are in respect of Percussion Caps. Are they legal to own? I see cased pistols in auction rooms with the small cap tins still filled with caps. should they be discretely disposed of, if found with a purchased item?
    Last edited by mel h; 10-02-2021 at 04:40 PM.