Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Old guns booming .

Antique

Antique pre 1939 muzzle loading shotguns can be held off licence as long as you are not going to shoot them. Owning black powder or percussion caps for any reason indicates that you are. If you wish to shoot them they they are put on your SGC not FAC The percussion caps are perfectly legal to own and can be bought on a SGC but cant be posted.
    Hope this helps.
    I am not really sure about antique muzzle loading rifles.
    When I die don't let my wife sell my guns for what she thinks I gave for them!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Dunkley View Post
    Antique pre 1939 muzzle loading shotguns can be held off licence as long as you are not going to shoot them. Owning black powder or percussion caps for any reason indicates that you are. If you wish to shoot them they they are put on your SGC not FAC The percussion caps are perfectly legal to own and can be bought on a SGC but cant be posted.
    Hope this helps.
    I am not really sure about antique muzzle loading rifles.
    So I can take it that a SGC or FAC is required to own percussion caps.

Percussion caps and shotgun primers can be bought over the counter provided that you are over 18. No licence needed. Primers for self contained ammunition (bullets) need a licence to acquire and a reason to own.

Conversely blackpowder needs a licence to acquire and own but nitro powder does not. I'm sure it makes sense somewhere.
    [I]DesG
    Domani e troppo tardi

percussion caps

I stand corrected but I was asked for my SGC when buying percussion caps. RFD just being careful perhaps.
    I can look dodgy.
    When I die don't let my wife sell my guns for what she thinks I gave for them!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Dunkley View Post
    I stand corrected but I was asked for my SGC when buying percussion caps. RFD just being careful perhaps.
    I can look dodgy.
    You are still required to have a reason to own them so if the RFD doesn't know you he is perfectly entitled to ask for a certificate and refuse to sell you them. (I think dodgy looking is ok otherwise they would never sell anything)
    [I]DesG
    Domani e troppo tardi

Dodgy

Quote Originally Posted by DesG View Post
    You are still required to have a reason to own them so if the RFD doesn't know you he is perfectly entitled to ask for a certificate and refuse to sell you them. (I think dodgy looking is ok otherwise they would never sell anything)