Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Airgun World Article

Airgun World Article

The Perfectly Productive Zero. Right your not going to hear me say this very often, " what a brilliant article" .. This is my (bug bear , pet hate) whatever you would like to call it. Zeroing ,, Ok its not too hard for the experienced amongst us but for the not so experienced a very good insight to whats going on, Anyone else read it, your thoughts please. The only thing i would add is, I wish all party's would get their act together an have a definitive size of the dovetail , not the 11 to 13 mill ..
    1 Rapid+sentinal n/v, 1 HW100+ Mamba lite

yes i reads it very good

Can't find it!

My copy hit the mat this morning, but I don't recall seeing that article, did see a damn handsome, stealth like chap on page 36 though.

Quote Originally Posted by Binners View Post
    My copy hit the mat this morning, but I don't recall seeing that article, did see a damn handsome, stealth like chap on page 36 though.
    Am referring to the Jan issue,

Absolutely; super article.

Even for experienced shooters it's often useful to be reminded of technique or to be introduced to other people's experiences and expertise. We never stop learning. And, obviously, even more invaluable to newer shooters.

Right now, each month, we're getting treated to some excellent articles and I always, always come away feeling a little more re-enlightened and re-enthused.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- August 3/4, 2024.........BOING!!

Quote Originally Posted by TonyL View Post
    Absolutely; super article.

Even for experienced shooters it's often useful to be reminded of technique or to be introduced to other people's experiences and expertise. We never stop learning. And, obviously, even more invaluable to newer shooters.

Right now, each month, we're getting treated to some excellent articles and I always, always come away feeling a little more re-enlightened and re-enthused.
    Well put, Would like to see another (more in depth) article on the same subject, on a side note i like to put my scope mounts on (without a scope) and line them up next to each other then turn one of the around and make sure they again line up with no lip of any kind , Hence my comment about the measurement of the Dovetail. if everyone follows that,?.

Quote Originally Posted by Bladerunner too View Post
    Well put, Would like to see another (more in depth) article on the same subject, on a side note i like to put my scope mounts on (without a scope) and line them up next to each other then turn one of the around and make sure they again line up with no lip of any kind , Hence my comment about the measurement of the Dovetail. if everyone follows that,?.
    Can I ask why you do it? It can't be done with 1 piece mounts.

I can see what it achieves; confirming whether the mounts are perfectly matched to the size of your dovetails or not. But if they are a mm or two different I don't think it makes any real world difference to your shooting (unless you put your two piece mounts on with the clamps on different sides and damage your scope when tightening up but why would you do that?).

Rich.
    WANTED: Next weeks winning lottery numbers :-)

Quote Originally Posted by averageplinker View Post
    Can I ask why you do it? It can't be done with 1 piece mounts.

I can see what it achieves; confirming whether the mounts are perfectly matched to the size of your dovetails or not. But if they are a mm or two different I don't think it makes any real world difference to your shooting (unless you put your two piece mounts on with the clamps on different sides and damage your scope when tightening up but why would you do that?).

Rich.
    sorry your comment makes no sense, Can i ask why you do it, I can see what it achieves, and two mm out is a lot in the real world ,

Quote Originally Posted by Bladerunner too View Post
    sorry your comment makes no sense, Can i ask why you do it, I can see what it achieves, and two mm out is a lot in the real world ,
    Yes it does. Do you really think the centreline of a scope being 2mm off the centre line of a barrel results in poor accuracy?? It does not. If you think that it does please explain how!
    Rich.

The americans like to get two pins turned to two points... like a sharpened round pencil and then put them into each ring pointing in so the tips either confurm perfect alignment or tell you the inevitable truth that they are off 😉

Then they get a reamer and drill the little suckers out so in theory bring both mounts tubes into perfect alignment.

We do seem to take it for granted that both rings... several inches apart will track true as a die which I suspect is often far from the truth.

How it affects accuracy I guess depends on how far out it is and if the scope can handle the deformity each mount takes to the table.

Clearly a big fat zero deflection is besty.... or if its a lot, it turns beasty.

Putting the mounts together will tell you lots about what they are like when they are touching each other.... but not when they are apart..... dirs it help... tells you the true story.... potentially no especially if they are dovetail.

CNC machined actions and piccy/weaver should inspire more confidebce but proof of the pudding is in the eating.

You dont check... means you dont know.
    In a battle of wits I refuse to engage with an unarmed person.
    To one shot one kill, you need to seek the S. Kill only comes from Skill

An interesting but different variable raised by Steyr. I rely on the belief that my sports match mounts are made to a good enough standard for this issue to be negligible/ignorable.

Manufacturing tolerances and quality of your rifle could equally have an impact on whether the scope rails are centred on and parralel to the bore line. Again I tend to rely on the belief that my rifles were sufficiently well made to make this negligible/ignorable.

So back to non-standard dovetail sizes and mount fit. Why do I believe that mounts putting a scope a mm or two off centre has no real world effect on accuracy? Let me explain...

Say we have an air rifle with mounts putting the scope 2mm off centre to the left. The rifle is sighted in at a 30 yard zero.

@ 15 yards the aim/impact point will be 1mm left of the cross hairs
    @ 30 yards the aim/impact point are the same
    @ 45 yards the aim/impact point will be 1mm right of the cross hairs
    @ 60 yards the aim/impact point will be 2mm right of the crosshairs

So can anyone give me a real world shooting scenario where the cross hairs being less than 2mm off from muzzle to 59 yards will effect them??
    Rich.

As a precision Engineer I've always believed that, for true long range accuracy, your scope/mounts should be dead parralel to the bore line of your barrel. To my mind, if you imagine looking from above, the scope centre line is 2mm to the left of the bore - easy to zero as the scope has ample adjustment but by doing so all you are doing is creating an angle twixt the scope centre line and the bore. In theory this would mean that, up to your zero your pellet would be slighly off centre and print a hole slighly to the right, at zero the 2 meet and the pellet prints bang on the cross hairs then as you pass zero the pellet begins to veer to the left? Mind you I can be a little hard of thinking.

Now don't get me wrong. I have nothing against that strive for ultimate precision if it is you thing. But.......

Tell me where that <2mm deviation affects your shooting in the real world? Would you even notice it? Would anyone else??
    Rich.

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    I agree with the irrelevance of 1-2mm off centre thing. Exactly as mr plinker describes, the error will be undetectable in the real world.
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Anyone

Anyone who can afford to buy an airgunworld nowadays . can afford to get some else to zero his rifle . no don't thank me ??? HOLLY

PS no wonder terry doe is riding around in a ruddy great car .
    " BE YOURSELF , EVERYBODY ELSE IS TAKEN "