Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Flints

Flints

I didn't used to like flintlocks that much but over time I've collected at least half a dozen and so I'm often searching around for a good flint. Apart from some that Will Lord made me, I usually get my English made gun flints from Track of the Wolf - a certain irony I'm sure you'll agree! English made gun flints cost $2 in the US, but in the UK, they tend to be £2 - £4 each - how does that work? I recently tried some of those sawn 'match' flints and they are really great but too expensive to buy on a regular basis. I do re-sharpen on a diamond stone but there is a limit to re-use.

Has anyone else found any good sources of supply?

I did, once, consider knapping my own but did not carry on with it. While I was looking into it I found this snippet that might be useful for anyone who does want to give it a go.

Flint - Brought slowly to a temperature of 150 deg. C to 260 deg. C, (300 deg F to 500 deg. F), for 24 hours, then slowly cooled to room temperature.
    This make the material more homogenous and thus more "knappable" and produces tools with a cleaner, sharper cutting edge.

Quote Originally Posted by enfield2band View Post
    I did, once, consider knapping my own but did not carry on with it. While I was looking into it I found this snippet that might be useful for anyone who does want to give it a go.

Flint - Brought slowly to a temperature of 150 deg. C to 260 deg. C, (300 deg F to 500 deg. F), for 24 hours, then slowly cooled to room temperature.
    This make the material more homogenous and thus more "knappable" and produces tools with a cleaner, sharper cutting edge.
    Stolen, with thanks.

Flints

Nothing to do with anything really but I recently read in a book that in seventeen hundred and something a good knapper would produce up to 8.000 usable flints a day.
    Bet you didn't know that.
    When I die don't let my wife sell my guns for what she thinks I gave for them!!!

about 20 odd years ago i bought several hundred flints for £20 from a diver who had brought them up from the wreck of the Earl of Abervargenny.they are not the tidiest of flints but are very black,work much better than any i had bought before.i think they were for the supply of the east india company.keeping them for when i revive my repo brown bess.
    Last edited by greasemonkey; 15-02-2021 at 08:32 AM. Reason: spelin
    more guns than you can shake a stick at!

I have access to these from my local supplier in Springfield OR - please let me know if I can help you out. Price is per each, BTW, although I'm sure you knew that already. Kinda different, eh?

Flint - 1/2in
    English Knapped
    Manufactured by Brandon Mines $1.75

Flint - 1in
    English Knapped
    Manufactured by Brandon Mines $2.00

Flint - 3/4in
    English Knapped

Flint - 5/8in
    English Knapped
    Manufactured by Brandon Mines $1.75

Flint - 7/8in
    English Knapped

I've just emole my old friend Suzi, who owns the place, asking if we can get a bit of a bulk buy going if anybody here is interested?
    Last edited by tacfoley; 16-02-2021 at 12:00 PM.

HI Tacfoley,
    I would certainly be interested as I seem to be getting quite a large collection of flintlocks lately, both pistols and long guns so would be after stocking up on various sizes. When I got my first flintlock, I bought the flints from Kranks for £ 0.89 - £1.30 now they appear to have more than doubled in price.
    All the best bud,
    Mick.

Thanks for the replies chaps.

I've made reasonable hand axes and arrow heads in the past but gun flints, although they might look simple, are a skill level above mine. You really need to be proficient with blade cores and also I understand that the best flint is becoming harder to obtain.

it still doesn't quite seem right to be carting flint across the Atlantic and then bringing it all the way back again. That said, I can't seem to find anyone in the UK who admits to making gun flints at present. Even Will isn't advertising although I've not asked him.

So, If you are thinking of placing an order with your friend Tac, I would gladly join you.

Steve.

I need sizes, and patience, thanks, Gentlemen.

See the list above, 'kay?

Hi Bud,
    I would like 10 of each except the 1/2 inch size if that's ok, may as well stock up now.
    All the best,
    Mick.

Sorry, guys, as of right now, they are not sending ANYTHING to the UK until the present confusion over VAT and so on is sorted out to everybody's satisfaction.

I'll be sure to let you know when and if that happens. Looks like I'll be bringing them back with me next time we go over - whenever that might be.

Thanks for trying Tacfoley, much appreciated.
    Cheers,
    Mick.

Quote Originally Posted by mickwin View Post
    Thanks for trying Tacfoley, much appreciated.
    Cheers,
    Mick.
    keep in touch with tac as he will get you them when he is over there.....had a set of pietta 1858 nipples a few years ago from him.
    top bloke is tac for his kind offers

Quote Originally Posted by loiner1965 View Post
    keep in touch with tac as he will get you them when he is over there.....had a set of pietta 1858 nipples a few years ago from him.
    top bloke is tac for his kind offers
    Thanks for that vote of confidence - your cheque is in the mail

Ok will do, just let me know when you're going Tac and I'll transfer some dosh up front to you.
    Cheers,
    Mick.