Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: So where are all the HW57's hiding ??

So where are all the HW57's hiding ??

Though they can't be sold in the volumes of other HW's, they must sell a fair few in the UK.

So why do they only pop up in sales every now and again?

Do owners really like them that much ?

Of course, I'm currently looking for one and can't find one.
    They do seem like buses. Nothing for ages, then a couple come at once.
    B.A.S.C. member

I gather they sorted the plastic wonky pop up with a better metal design, and put a screw thread on front at last

Be great to hear a waxing lyrical about about experiences with a modern HW57 ..
    Looking for TO-6 Trigger unit unmessed with or T0-6 kit for 34

I sold mine, which was a .177 with the metal pop up loading tap.
    It arrived with its spring broken in several pieces and the factory seal totally burned up, the last owner had shot it for years without any maintenance.
    Did a lot of experimenting with seals, piston weights and springs, but the gun was a slammy mess when pushed above 8fpe.
    Accuracy was ok but never really good.

In the end I fit a somewhat reduced spring that gave it a more pleasant shotcycle, a fresh seal and fitted guides, and sold if off cheaply with clear info that it had been soft-tuned.

Quote Originally Posted by evert View Post
    It arrived with its spring broken in several pieces and the factory seal totally burned up, the last owner had shot it for years without any maintenance.
    Did a lot of experimenting with seals, piston weights and springs, but the gun was a slammy mess when pushed above 8fpe.

In the end I fit a somewhat reduced spring that gave it a more pleasant shotcycle, a fresh seal and fitted guides, and sold if off cheaply with clear info that it had been soft-tuned.
    Pretty much my experience with my .177 57. Bought it from Germany back in 2019, it was running at 6ftlbs due to the German market mainspring. Re sprung it with a cut down 97 spring, big mistake, 13ftlbs and awful to shoot, after a chop and coil collapse, now running at 9ftlb. Still not as accurate as i'd like. I think the longish stroke and light weight go against it.

cptman is offline Moody Git.........Apparently?
    Hi had the .177 (horrible) and the .22 very good short range ratter with 5x scope very pointable although the breech had a habit of falling out.
    Good gun which I sold on but I don’t miss it.
    why is it there are more horses arses in the world than there are horses?

Oh, this thread has reminded me that a mate of mine offered me his V-Mac tuned HW57 just before the first lockdown.

Don't think they sell that well probably the worst HW springer that they make.

Dave.

Quote Originally Posted by T 20 View Post
    Oh, this thread has reminded me that a mate of mine offered me his V-Mac tuned HW57 just before the first lockdown.
    You don't want it Mick.
    They're crap

Best get it sent down here, out of the way, so it doesn't offend anyone with its pop up breech
    B.A.S.C. member

The .177 Donky Donky 57 I had wasn't perfect but it was a nice little rifle. It's a shame it didn't have the 77 breech and an easy way to fit a moderator. A lightweight HW underlever would sell well.

Quote Originally Posted by DM80 View Post
    Don't think they sell that well probably the worst HW springer that they make.

Dave.
    Agreed.
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    When a BSA Merlin makes love to a HW30II and the offspring stays 3 months too long in the womb, the unfortunate moon-calf is given a shame-name after a brand of beans. And no one wants it. It’s a tragic misfit, like the HW Barracuda ether-gun or the HW range of PCPs.
    Last edited by Hsing-ee; 16-02-2021 at 04:58 PM.

Bar

Offered them new, but the advice was to steer clear?

had a .22" HW57 years ago, leant it to someone living near my garage then I had to look after my father....

forgot about the rifle & never seen it since

my bad

didn't think it was that bad but not memorable either prefered the BSA Spitfire hf

Rich.
    Rich. https://i.imgur.com/6sXOoGi.jpg my MPR's & mk1 TX200
    repeat Burris owner (now have 8)

Quote Originally Posted by Hsing-ee View Post
    When a BSA Merlin makes love to a HW30II and the offspring stays 3 months too long in the womb, the unfortunate moon-calf is given a shame-name after a brand of beans..
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

Quote Originally Posted by evert View Post

Quote Originally Posted by coburn View Post
    Pretty much my experience with my .177 57. Bought it from Germany back in 2019, it was running at 6ftlbs due to the German market mainspring. Re sprung it with a cut down 97 spring, big mistake, 13ftlbs and awful to shoot, after a chop and coil collapse, now running at 9ftlb. Still not as accurate as i'd like. I think the longish stroke and light weight go against it.
    So, guessing that these may be similar internally to a 99? So 26mm bore. Anyone know the stroke and TP diameter and length?

I'm guessing that the pellet will not be a snug fit into the loading "gate", reducing the SCR massively as the pellet has to jump from gate and it will be a looser fit than a pellet which has snugly clicked into the rifling. After this very easy first stage of its journey it then has to engage breech and rifling, without that helpful thumb / finger of humankind assistance? So, guessing that this will magnify the slammy effect, but might it also then see a spike in pressure as the pellet engages breech, promoting extra piston bounce?

Having said all that, although not desperate to own one, I could actually see myself rehoming one one day.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!