Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: So where are all the HW57's hiding ??

I just spent a while modifying mine so it has a moderator and is an inch shorter overall than the standard model. I swapped the seal, spring and guides. Chopped the barrel and cocking lever by 6". Fitted a small moderator and extended a lower cocking lever to almost reach the end of the moderator. It is now doing 11ftlb but is pellet fussy. It works well with standard .22 JSBs and Hades- 3/4" group at 22m and 6fps variation in velocity. It might improve a bit if I crown the end of the barrel properly instead of just spinning a countersink bit in the end to smooth it off.

It is not bad as a tiny, light springer.

In terms of size, HW57s were competing with Diana 52 carbines. The Diana did everything better but was heavier.

BB

Quote Originally Posted by robs5230 View Post
    You don't want it Mick.
    They're crap

Best get it sent down here, out of the way, so it doesn't offend anyone with its pop up breech

Don't worry, Rob --- I'm only going to chop it up for parts.

Hope this helps ?

All the best Mick

Quote Originally Posted by Black Beard View Post
    HW57s were competing with Diana 52 carbines. The Diana did everything better but was heavier
    +1

the heavier '52 just feels better also (used to have one ) but the cocking I thought was 'interesting'

the '52 is a bloody good rifle though

Rich.
    Rich. https://i.imgur.com/6sXOoGi.jpg my MPR's & mk1 TX200
    repeat Burris owner (now have 8)

Quote Originally Posted by TonyL View Post
    So, guessing that these may be similar internally to a 99? So 26mm bore. Anyone know the stroke and TP diameter and length?
    Yes, 26mm and very similar to the 99/50s. Unfortunately I never measured the stroke.
    I belive the big issue is that the pellet skirt is sized down in the tap. At least my rifle had a breech taper in the tap, much like your average breech taper in a modern HW rifle, so the skirt seals on that. But the skirt will be sized down when it moved through the tap, so you will not have a great fit in the barrel, plus there is a taper/leade in the barrel where the pellet will be loose, so there will be some air leakage around the pellet. The skirt will never be sized to the barrel like in a rifle where you lad directly into the barrel.

Reading peoples experience with the 57, it seems like the .22 might be more forgiving than the .177?

Thank you for that, evert. Most enlightening.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

I've had them in both cals and was very disappointed in both to be honest. The breeches are very pellet fussy and
    Lots of jams. And very inaccurate. I've tried different ones and used lads at the clubs and they say the same, the must be some good ones surly but they are not a true hw springer

Quote Originally Posted by T 20 View Post
    Don't worry, Rob --- I'm only going to chop it up for parts.

Hope this helps ?

All the best Mick
    Immensely Mick

I'd get bored of a sorted one
    B.A.S.C. member

Quote Originally Posted by TonyL View Post
    So, guessing that these may be similar internally to a 99? So 26mm bore. Anyone know the stroke and TP diameter and length?

I'm guessing that the pellet will not be a snug fit into the loading "gate", reducing the SCR massively as the pellet has to jump from gate and it will be a looser fit than a pellet which has snugly clicked into the rifling. After this very easy first stage of its journey it then has to engage breech and rifling, without that helpful thumb / finger of humankind assistance? So, guessing that this will magnify the slammy effect, but might it also then see a spike in pressure as the pellet engages breech, promoting extra piston bounce?

Having said all that, although not desperate to own one, I could actually see myself rehoming one one day.
    26mm bore
    81mm stroke
    3mm dia TP and I think 18mm tp length
    B.A.S.C. member

Immensely Mick

I'd get bored of a sorted one
    Well, I've already got the BSA version of the HW57 --- a Merlin.

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    they do seem to be variable.

I tuned one about 15 years ago (just basic guides / sleave) and it shot very nice with good accuracy.

However a chap at our club got a new one, and no-one could get it to group under 1" at 20 yards

The pop up loading gate is obviously the likely culprit. Shame as it's a cosmetically neat concept, and inherently very safe, but the gamo RB guns (CFX) are direct competitors, and are in reality more reliably accurate with their direct loading system, and just as safe.

So if you want an accurate HW57, buy a Gamo CFX...
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

26mm bore
    81mm stroke
    3mm dia TP and I think 18mm tp length
    Thanks, Rob.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.

Quote Originally Posted by Shed tuner View Post

I tuned one about 15 years ago (just basic guides / sleave) and it shot very nice with good accuracy.

However a chap at our club got a new one, and no-one could get it to group under 1" at 20 yards

The pop up loading gate is obviously the likely culprit. Shame as it's a cosmetically neat concept, and inherently very safe, but the gamo RB guns (CFX) are direct competitors, and are in reality more reliably accurate with their direct loading system, and just as safe.

Can't argue with any of that, Jon, and safety would be the biggest selling point of the loading gate for me. Fully agree with the CFX recommendation. After having owned the Vipermax, I do like the firing cycle (once de-twanged) of the 25mm Gamo models. And most reviews report very good accuracy.

I have a sneaking suspicion that the pop up breech likes slightly oversized pellets with long bodies.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Shed tuner View Post

I bought a Gamo Stutzen (Pop up breech) from JSR when it was still ok to post them!

I took it to work with me on nightshift when we weren't busy (Heavy foundry), I went through almost a full tin of pellets before it settled down!

It was dieselling badly, Piston was slamming and squirting pellets in all directions, It suddenly stopped misbehaving abruptly somewhere near the last few pellets, I presume it ran out of fuel!

Still have the gun but have never shot it since!!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Regarding the HW57, An old mate at work bought one new when he had rats around his bird feeder, He loved it but as it was a small backyard he used to open his kitchen dooor and the middle door and shoot from the front room just to give him a bit more distance!, Apparently his backyard was private and he just bolted the gate to stop anyone suddenly appearing at his door!!

When he'd shot all the rats he started baiting to try and get more to appear!! He also caught the bug and wanted more guns!!

He retired some years ago and I finished last year so never heard from him since!!

John
    for my gunz guitarz and bonzai, see here
    www.flickr.com/photos/8163995@N07/

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    yeah, the pop up breech gamo's like the CF20/30 are Ok for what they are, but not optimal accuracy.
    The CFX has the BSA roller Breech, so direct loading, and much better.
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.