Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: So where are all the HW57's hiding ??

Hw57

I used to have a hw57 i purchased it for my lad (12 year old) to use it wasn't very reliable at first . the pop up pellet loader broke bottom fell off and had to go back then the tiny spring in the locator on the underlever went so went back again then power dropped so fitted a full tbt drop in kit shot lovely and then lad didn't like going anymore so sold it someone ended up with a lot better little hw57 than I had when I originally bought it

I bought a new 57 about 8 years ago. It is the only gun that I was truly disappointed with!

Back in early 2000s I started a Christmas saving club with a local gun dealer and bought a 57 as my son's first airgun. Can't recall how long they had been out then as I hadn't long come back to airguns myself.
    It was in.177 and to its credit was full power and accurate and gave my son a good start. I topped it with an old ASI top end scope with the TV view and bullet drop turret (can't recall model reference) and he was a fair shot with it. Not too big or cumbersome as he was a growing 11 year old. He did occasionally forget to push breech in place at times and that was quite an audible giveaway
    When he took a break from shooting I stripped and gave it a polish and service and it shoots quite sweet. In hindsight however I wish I'd gone for .22.
    I seem to recall SFS were one of if only company that would thread the barrel latch assembly for a mod.
    The gun is still here and I may dig it out to see how it's doing after this time.
    Dave

Not a very popular rifle same internals as the 99s but the 99s is a much better gun.
    .22 Venom Mach 1 (FAC) 6-25x56 Millett.
    .22 Venom Mach 2 Thumbhole 6.5-20x40 Leupold EFR.
    .22 Venom Mach 2 Sporter 4-12x40 Leupold.
    .177 Venom Vantage 4-16x50.
    .177 Venom Daystate 8-32x56 AGS.
    .22 Venom Datstate 4-16x56 AGS.
    .22 Webley Venom FX2000 6-18x40 Busnel Legend.
    .177 Titan MPT by Steve Pope 6-24x40 Tasco.
    .177 Pro-Sport 4-16x50.
    .22 Webley FX2000 3-9x33 Leupold EFR.
    .177 Logan Solo 4-16x50.
    .22 HW90 (spring powered) 4-16x50
    .22 Gamo Stutzen.
    .177 Walther lever action.

I did a bit of examination on the end of a .22 HW57 barrel. Under the foresight is a 15mm long section, 8mm from the end of the barrel that has grooves rolled into it. These don't appear to make any difference to the inside of the barrel. Inside the barrel is a 5.7mm counterbore for about 8mm and I can't feel any choke. There is the potential that the pellet, which will be sized to 5.5mm, will have air trying to force its way past the corners of the skirt just before it exits the barrel. This isn't going to be good for accuracy as any inperfection in the skirt is going to cause a wobble.

I think HW could improve the barrel by using a choked one and either increasing the counterbore diameter or removing it all together. This might make them shoot better.

BB

Hmmm, sounds most unsatisfactory and odd? As has been said before, a choked barrel may or may not be better than an unchoked one in many cases. But if we're talking barrels with tighter spots earlier in the barrel, a choke has to be a good thing? But this arrangement sounds bizarre and would surely benefit from some strangling!
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

I agree Tony. The 57 has the potential to modify the pellet as it jumps from the loading port into the barrel so a choke is a good idea.