Thread: New Leupold VX Freedom 3-9x33 EFR

New Leupold VX Freedom 3-9x33 EFR

I'll cut to the chase:

Not a patch on the original Leupold 3-9x33 EFR.

The glass is good but not in the same glass, packaging cheap, no caps included (400 quid scope!), turrets a bit mushy as is the PX.

That all said it's still a good scope for airgunning, especially on a smaller/lighter format build, but it's not what they used to be.

There's now a gap in the market for a top range smaller air rifle scope. Which tells me there isn't much of a market and most shooters would rather buy a much larger scope with doo-dads.

....bugger.
    I think and therefore...... I refuse to steal someone else's quote to try to sound more erudite or profound than I actually am.

Quote Originally Posted by Russ6357 View Post
    I'll cut to the chase:

Not a patch on the original Leupold 3-9x33 EFR.

The glass is good but not in the same glass, packaging cheap, no caps included (400 quid scope!), turrets a bit mushy as is the PX.

That all said it's still a good scope for airgunning, especially on a smaller/lighter format build, but it's not what they used to be.

There's now a gap in the market for a top range smaller air rifle scope. Which tells me there isn't much of a market and most shooters would rather buy a much larger scope with doo-dads.

....bugger.
    Not me

The number of times that my right index finger hovered over the "pay now" button for either one of these or the rim fire version. There were far too many negatives as you say, mushy turrets, fussy eye box, no covers, and a somewhat suspect finish to the exterior.

Leupold

Got the new EFR and the Rimfire version. Have to say I have found them to have better optics on the freedom than the old EFR. Yes the style isn't to everyone's taste but a nice scope but expensive. Then again their after sales service is very good. I like my leupolds that's why I own 20. Mach 1.5

I've been looking at these for months but they only seem to come with duplex ret and the custom shop seems like it will never re-open; does anybody know if anywhere has these with a mil ret?

I have an old style 3-9 compact EFR which is a great scope and a couple of the newer freedom series. A 3-9 and a 2-7 as well as a 4-12. The rimfire reticle is good although a little fine and the glass is good, but the turrets are not good and are a step backwards for Leupold. The 4-12 has a very fussy eye relief but a slightly better ret. The Meopta Optika 5 2-10x42 with PA and Z Plus ret looks like it could be a very good scope for airguns.....
    when there's lead in the air there's hope!

mild

do they offer a mil dot on the new EFR?

Quote Originally Posted by badger99 View Post
    do they offer a mil dot on the new EFR?
    Dont think so, they never have as far as I know.
    I have one of the last old type VX11 3x9x33 EFR with a customshop mildot in it though, but I believe the US Leupold custom shop was not open last time I looked, but that might have changed.

I would love one with a TMR ret like my MK4 Leupolds.
    BASC

Blackrider is offline It don't mean a thing, if it ain't got a Spring
    Only just picked up on the thread.
    It seems the old Leup. EFR is/was preferreble to the new Freedom ?

As one of the above threads state, the Meopta Optika 5 2-10x42PA looks a very good airgun scope as does the Sightron S-TAC 3-16x42PA.
    “An airgun or two”………