Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Webley oil can

The can is back on t'bay or another just like it from the same seller!

6 bids and £36 already

John
    Currently looking for Baikal Makarov pistols with the following prefixes to the serial number: 98, T01, T09, T21, T22
    Prefer boxed or cased but will consider loose examples too.

Quote Originally Posted by Josie & John View Post
    The can is back on t'bay or another just like it from the same seller!

6 bids and £36 already

John
    It is the same can, or a facsimilie of that one. The stains and watermarks are exactly the same as the one that sold for £77 last week

Same oil can and pics,, Lets see how many report it this time round..

I suspect someone bought it without due diligence, and it's back on with the same false description of it being an original and not a reproduction.

Quote Originally Posted by Troubledshooter View Post
    I suspect someone bought it without due diligence, and it's back on with the same false description of it being an original and not a reproduction.
    Or the seller was the highest bidder

Quote Originally Posted by Binners View Post
    Hi Pete,

I watched the final minutes of the first sale on the site and the winning bid went in a just a few second before the end, so unlikely it was placed by the seller.
    You would have thought he would have waited for the dust settle before putting an identical dodgy item on the site.

I reported the last one to both the site and the seller, which was completely ignored, so caveat emptor I guess.

It would not have been so bad had the description read "possibly original", but he categorically states that it is original.

Brian

You were not alone Brian.
    It was reported as fake by many and nothing was done

Quote Originally Posted by Binners View Post
    There's always that possibility, Peter.

If I could find the right base cans, I might make a few more of my reproduction Webley Valvespout Oil Cans, which I know several people would like to purchase.

micky2 is offline The collector formerly known as micky
    Quote Originally Posted by Abasmajor View Post
    Hi Pete,

I watched the final minutes of the first sale on the site and the winning bid went in a just a few second before the end, so unlikely it was placed by the seller.
    You would have thought he would have waited for the dust settle before putting an identical dodgy item on the site.

I reported the last one to both the site and the seller, which was completely ignored, so caveat emptor I guess.

It would not have been so bad had the description read "possibly original", but he categorically states that it is original.

Brian
    I don't know if you can still do it. but at one time you could put in what they call sniper bids which came within the last 5 seconds.

edbear2 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by micky2 View Post
    I don't know if you can still do it. but at one time you could put in what they call sniper bids which came within the last 5 seconds.
    Just set your PC clock accurately place you bid, then click confirm as late to the finish time as you nerve allows (3-4 seconds will work) ...Ignore the countdown and go by your computer clock.

ATB, ED

micky2 is offline The collector formerly known as micky
    Quote Originally Posted by edbear2 View Post
    Just set your PC clock accurately place you bid, then click confirm as late to the finish time as you nerve allows (3-4 seconds will work) ...Ignore the countdown and go by your computer clock.

ATB, ED
    Hi Ed, many thanks for the info.

ATB

Mick.

Turnup is offline Dialling code‎: ‎01344
    I have never understood the point of sniping. If you put in a limit bid then the system will auromatically outbid the current highest bid by the minimum amount. Any further bids and the system will bid again for you by the minimum amount and keep doing that until you either win or hit your limit. Late snipers cannot defeat this because if there is a late bid the system will allow a little more time for more bids. Agreed sniping can defeat those bidders who want to manually make each bid, but only if they are slow or not watching at the close of the auction. A limit bid has the same effect.
    True freedom includes the freedom to make mistakes or do foolish things and bear the consequences.
    TANSTAAFL

Sniping bids avoid competing against shill bidders

Turnup is offline Dialling code‎: ‎01344
    Quote Originally Posted by WebleyWombler View Post
    Sniping bids avoid competing against shill bidders
    How does that work? A schill bid is indistinguishable from a genuine bid. They can snipe too!
    True freedom includes the freedom to make mistakes or do foolish things and bear the consequences.
    TANSTAAFL

Quote Originally Posted by Turnup View Post
    I have never understood the point of sniping. If you put in a limit bid then the system will auromatically outbid the current highest bid by the minimum amount. Any further bids and the system will bid again for you by the minimum amount and keep doing that until you either win or hit your limit. Late snipers cannot defeat this because if there is a late bid the system will allow a little more time for more bids. Agreed sniping can defeat those bidders who want to manually make each bid, but only if they are slow or not watching at the close of the auction. A limit bid has the same effect.
    The ‘bay in U.K. and ‘gun in Germany sites don’t have that late bid system you mention.
    Although I have seen it on certain European auction sites.

A last second bid of the maximum you are prepared to pay stops other bidders responding by increasing their bids incrementally, which pushes the final price up (which is how some people bid)
    You have to know how much your prepared to pay and go all in, and if you’re lucky you’ll win it for less than that.

I think shill bids are just to push the price up so a last second shill bid runs the risk of being the actual winning bid which might defeat the point of it.

Matt