Thread: Webley oil can

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Webley oil can

Hi guys, there is a "1920s" Webley oil can on , please have a look then can I have your thoughts and comments?
    Cheers Paul

Could be very wrong, but on that style spout normally in centre, can looks more aged that label..

Personally , I would wait for Troubledshooter to reply to this.

Sam

If we are talking about Item number:184672087137, it is entirely wrong with a correct style label attached to a much later and wrongly styled reproduction tin.

Item no 184672087137

This is what a good reproduction Webley oil can of the period should look like.

This is what a genuine Webley oil can of the period should look like.

Brian
    Last edited by Abasmajor; 20-02-2021 at 06:33 PM.

Red face

Looks like a repro label, sized to fit one of those Singer sewing machine oil tins from the 1950's/60' ?

On the other hand it could be a one-off prototype 'can made for Webley by Singer, and as such worth a fortune? Tricky one!

So prior to the invention of the Valvespout oiler in the early 1930s, was Webley oil supplied in bottles, or in tins as well?

Quote Originally Posted by slug-gun View Post
    Looks like a repro label, sized to fit one of those Singer sewing machine oil tins from the 1950's/60' ?

On the other hand it could be a one-off prototype 'can made for Webley by Singer, and as such worth a fortune? Tricky one!
    I think your suggestion of it being a re-labelled 'Singer' oil can could well be correct, Chris, as I have a similar 'Singer' can on the shelf.

As for it possibly being a one off prototype, I very much doubt that as the 'Webley' on the top is wrong, being curved on the top edge of the logo instead of the bottom edge.
    It's a pity there is no rear view.

Yup, same tin as on the bay 233897473100 . There are quite a few examples of that exact tin listed.

A bit like the joint venture when Castrol did a go faster GTX air rifle oil in conjunction with Giffard.