Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Webley oil can

Quote Originally Posted by colin g View Post
    Does show both sides of the can, A tin that size though would last me donkeys years,,
    Having looked again at the photographs I must apologise, you are correct, they do show both sides of the can, the rear side being a copy of the front without the 'No.2' showing, with the curvature of the logo again wrongly depicted, whereas the original label has a detailed description of the different oil uses on the rear.
    I see some have placed bids on it.

I see there are 14 bids for the tin with the current bid being £37. I don't use internet auction sites myself, so is there any way of making prospective buyers aware that the description of the item is incorrect and misleading or are comments only visible to the seller ?
    Brian

Turnup is offline Dialling code‎: ‎01344
    Quote Originally Posted by Abasmajor View Post
    I see there are 14 bids for the tin with the current bid being £37. I don't use internet auction sites myself, so is there any way of making prospective buyers aware that the description of the item is incorrect and misleading or are comments only visible to the seller ?
    Brian
    There used to be a way to report listings but I can't seem to find it now.
    True freedom includes the freedom to make mistakes or do foolish things and bear the consequences.
    TANSTAAFL

Quote Originally Posted by Turnup View Post
    There used to be a way to report listings but I can't seem to find it now.

Report item,,,,, It is to the right of description / postage and payments.. Col.

Ah! there it is.
    True freedom includes the freedom to make mistakes or do foolish things and bear the consequences.
    TANSTAAFL

Quote Originally Posted by colin g View Post
    Report item,,,,, It is to the right of description / postage and payments.. Col.
    I don't know it will make any difference, but I have reported the item as in my opinion not being original as described by the seller.

Brian

I don't know it will make any difference, but I have reported the item as in my opinion not being original as described by the seller.

Brian
    Be prepared to get trolled, sellers not keen on being called out, especially if have long standing good rating, business. bad un's can change name . left negative rating while back as did others, seller publically said I suggested homosexual acts etc to him,( I didn't!) similar abuse to other unhappy buyers. We Got him removed.

Brian
    Well done. I see no way that they can troll you so don't worry about it.
    TANSTAAFL

Quote Originally Posted by slug-gun View Post
    Looks like a repro label, sized to fit one of those Singer sewing machine oil tins from the 1950's/60' ?

On the other hand it could be a one-off prototype 'can made for Webley by Singer, and as such worth a fortune? Tricky one!
    A bit like the joint venture when Castrol did a go faster GTX air rifle oil in conjunction with Giffard.

Quote Originally Posted by Turnup View Post
    Well done. I see no way that they can troll you so don't worry about it.
    I'm not worried as I don't actively use the site or any form of social media. Just can't let some innocent buyer be taken for a ride by a seller who hasn't correctly described an item without comment to that affect. If he had described it as "probably original" then 'Caveat Emptor' would apply.

Brian

22 bids and up to £72!

Looks like some people are keen to add this to their collection.

John
    Currently looking for Baikal Makarov pistols with the following prefixes to the serial number: 98, T01, T09, T21, T22
    Prefer boxed or cased but will consider loose examples too.

Went for £77.10 with 24 bids. I reported this listing as having an incorrect and misleading description, but clearly too late to prevent some naive buyer paying the price for not doing their research before parting with their cash.
    Brian

Went for £77.10 with 24 bids. I reported this listing as having an incorrect and misleading description, but clearly too late to prevent some naive buyer paying the price for not doing their research before parting with their cash.
    Brian
    I am not sure bay give a damn as long as they get their %

Quote Originally Posted by Binners View Post
    I am not sure bay give a damn as long as they get their %
    Quite agree Peter, I don't think they do.

I've tried to advise vendors of other items that are not as described, and apart from one abusive scrapyard dealer, have mostly been ignored, apart from a couple of exceptions, so I don't tend to bother nowadays.

edbear2 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Troubledshooter View Post
    Quite agree Peter, I don't think they do.

I've tried to advise vendors of other items that are not as described, and apart from one abusive scrapyard dealer, have mostly been ignored, apart from a couple of exceptions, so I don't tend to bother nowadays.
    Caveat emptor is never more true, I would like to think that mistakes are innocent, but sadly as you get older you realise there are some iffy sorts in all walks of life / hobbies / clubs etc. Only good thing is these days word gets around so much faster due to forums and the web.

ATB, Ed