Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Turkish Tempest differences

Turkish Tempest differences

I have a Turkish made tempest acquired new. It was unbelievably hard to cock in comparison to my senior. Eventually, upon stripping discovered reason - spring was more akin to a cut down rifle one rather than the 'correct?' webley type - replaced with a spare from the senior and much cocking, firing with only a slight drop in power - balanced with better shootability. Later the link spring broke and purchased a new barrel complete with linkages from Chambers. The new barrel different from the original - muzzle, fore-sight and in, particular the rifling much more sharper/defined. Fitting the new barrel entailed no longer requiring the breech seal be shimmed. Question is who/where are the spare parts manufactured or have I luckily acquired a new/old stock barrel?

Quote Originally Posted by Damned 69 View Post
    I have a Turkish made tempest acquired new. It was unbelievably hard to cock in comparison to my senior. Eventually, upon stripping discovered reason - spring was more akin to a cut down rifle one rather than the 'correct?' webley type - replaced with a spare from the senior and much cocking, firing with only a slight drop in power - balanced with better shootability. Later the link spring broke and purchased a new barrel complete with linkages from Chambers. The new barrel different from the original - muzzle, fore-sight and in, particular the rifling much more sharper/defined. Fitting the new barrel entailed no longer requiring the breech seal be shimmed. Question is who/where are the spare parts manufactured or have I luckily acquired a new/old stock barrel?
    Sounds like NOS.

Tried asking Chambers?

barrel is offline Work is the refuge of people who have nothing better to do
    What's NOS mean please?.

Kindest regards

Barrel
    IF I WALKED ON WATER PEOPLE WOULD SAY I COULD NOT SWIM !

In my limited experience, barrel from new model slightly longer, front shroud, matt instead of shiny, also larger I'd so sloppy on old model, safety was larger diameter and longer than older, safety lever matt instead of shiny, Turkish frame doesn't have red spot for safety, its a seperate piece that goes behind safety lever.
    May be others,
    Dan

Quote Originally Posted by barrel View Post
    What's NOS mean please?.

Kindest regards

Barrel
    New Old Stock.

Dan, I also have noticed that the new spring guide is a different size (aprox 1mm larger diameter) and prevents such entering the end. Got one to replace the very marked original caused by the savage spring. Will get the new one turned down eventually. What to me appears strange are the multiple small differences throughout, so definitely rather than replicate the original these are from completely different toolobg/specs - plus no mention of this version in the excellent Webley air pistols book by Gordon Bruce.

I'm pretty sure the roll pins are a different size, and the pin that holds the barrel pivot also, they're larger, so any of the cocking linkage will not fit older pieces.
    It woukd stack up, as the originals are prob all tooled up imperial and newer ones metric maybe?
    The replacement springs from protek seem to be OK for older versions.

Oh, and new barrel, the one I saw didn't have the calibre embossed beside foresight.. otop

Dan, yes never thought about imperial metric. My new barrel, does have calibre on top - along with the 'german?' encompassed f logo. But whatever/wherever such was manufactured is much better quality than the original (new one blued, the friction part sorry forgot propper term - is finer and defined etc)

harvey_s is online now Lost love child of David Niven and Victoria Beckham
    Quote Originally Posted by Damned 69 View Post
    Dan, I also have noticed that the new spring guide is a different size (aprox 1mm larger diameter) and prevents such entering the end. Got one to replace the very marked original caused by the savage spring. Will get the new one turned down eventually. What to me appears strange are the multiple small differences throughout, so definitely rather than replicate the original these are from completely different toolobg/specs - plus no mention of this version in the excellent Webley air pistols book by Gordon Bruce.
    Gordon Bruce's book pre-dates the Turkish Tempests and indeed the final version of the Tempest with the wider trigger.

Theres no Turkish Tempest in the book cause its not a Webley its a turk..
    It shouldnt be in there, nor should the other later turk airrifles
    Another difference between uk and turk tempest should be the rollpins used; massive vs hollow.
    Imo, maybe the only improvement the turk has over the uk version
    You can recognise a turk easily by its looks, its matte instead of shiny and I think grips arent the same either
    ATB,
    yana

I had been disappointed with accuracy of the T-tempest in comparison with my senior - caused by very varied power, so full strip and noticed how extremely stiff the piston/seal was. On examination saw leading edge of seal had I assumed been chamfered very rough, I assume to enable it to enter the bore. Anyway, progressively emeried the seal till it was a smooth fit, then lubed (a touch of Nicks bumslide) & reassembled. Cocking much smoother, firing felt 'nicer' (and quieter!?), with consistent power (3.8 with JSB RS) and finally within my limited shooting powers has at last become reliably accurate - where before was a shotgun spread.

Quote Originally Posted by Mason View Post
    New Old Stock.
    Thanks for the reply.

Kindest regards

Barrel

Quote Originally Posted by hwtyger View Post
    Theres no Turkish Tempest in the book cause its not a Webley its a turk..
    It shouldnt be in there, nor should the other later turk airrifles
    Another difference between uk and turk tempest should be the rollpins used; massive vs hollow.
    Imo, maybe the only improvement the turk has over the uk version
    You can recognise a turk easily by its looks, its matte instead of shiny and I think grips arent the same either
    Having had Birmingham Tempests and Turkish Tempests I would say that from a quality standpoint they are both the same. I would love to be able to say differently but that's the reality. Turkish Tempests get knocked for no other reason than they are Turkish which seems unfair to me.

Kindest regards

Barrel

Dont start with racism on me
    Tried a Turk tempest once at a gunshop, couldnt even decently get my hand underneath the barrel to cock it. Theyre way oversprung.
    Gave it back to the gunshop owner. Never looked back. Still have my collection of uk tempests, typhoon and hurricane. Would like to have a Finale Tempest but only out of curiosity and they look nice, boxed and all.
    Doesnt really matter what the quality is of recent Webley stuff.
    Webley is, or was, a UK brand. No matter whát the quality máy be of the turks, it still is not, nor will ever be, a uk Webley. And it is valued by most as such.(as hatsans).
    And if the Tempest is the same quality as the webley-hatsan rifles....it certainly is NOT same quality by fár. (had a turk Longbow SE and still have various UK Tomahawks)
    If you want Hatsan, but Hatsan. If you want a Webley, buy sechand. My 2cnts
    ATB,
    yana