Thread: 0.173 (4.4mm) BB's - Just to be awkward !

0.173 (4.4mm) BB's - Just to be awkward !

Hi Guys, further to earlier post on my Haenel Sportsmodell 49a repeater. This will be sold in the future but I am hoping to shoot it 1st. The problem lies in the ammo size. 0.173 (4.4mm) BB's, I have been told standard .177's are no good & all i've found so far are a listing with "Diana Oktoberfest copper coated BB's Calibre 4.4/ .173 bullet shaped lead balls" in Germany and even they are out of stock. anyone got similar gun?

Protek will sort you out: http://www.proteksupplies.co.uk/airgun-pellets.html

You need cz number 9 balls. If you just want a few and are not in a hurry pm me your address and I’ll pop 40-50 in an envelope for you. I get them from Germany and to make the postage make sense I get quite a lot at once.
    Last edited by Jerry Cornelius; 23-02-2021 at 12:28 PM.
    Morally flawed

For the record H&N exite smart shot bb’s have 4.5/.177 written on the tin but are in fact 4.4mm copper coated lead balls that work very well in the Heanel repeaters.

https://www.jsramsbottom.com/h-n-exc...s-177-750.html

Matt

Ramsbottoms

Hi, I had emailed Ramsbottom's and they replied --"Hi, sorry non of the BB's we have will suit - customers with your air
    rifle have tried all the BB's we stock in the past with no success."

Quote Originally Posted by SALTSCAR View Post
    Hi, I had emailed Ramsbottom's and they replied --"Hi, sorry non of the BB's we have will suit - customers with your air
    rifle have tried all the BB's we stock in the past with no success."
    Strange, I use the H&N exite in my Haenel 33 and my mate uses them in his Haenel 49a and they work fine. (Both have same mechanism)

I just measured 3 H&N exite from ramsbottom at

4.3mm
    4.29mm
    4.32mm

Then 3 from the recommended H&N ones I bought from Protek

4.26mm
    4.25mm
    4.23mm

Did a few more and the ones from Protek average at 4.26mm and H&N exite at 4.3mm

Both cycle and shoot perfectly, I’ll check if it makes a difference on the chrono tomorrow.

Cheers,
    Matt

ccdjg is offline Airgun Alchemist, Collector and Scribe
    I found exactly the same as Matt with the H & N Exite from Ramsbottom with my repro' Haenel 250 pistol - they are 4.3 mm, contrary to what it says on the tin, and work perfectly with the original vintage magazines I sourced for the gun. The Protek balls were just that bit too small and sometimes rolled out of the barrel.

got some balls.

Thanks for the help & advice lads. I have now got some BB's off a couple of lads on here, one sent me a few dozen to test out (And thrash my cocky son in a shooting contest 54 - 34 to the old man) I also bought 2 tins of 600 off one of the guys. The ones I have used were copper coated & measure in at around 4.3mm, the 1200 are Eastern European lead No9 balls and measure 4.4mm (both give or take a few 100ths on different balls). I will try these out in the next couple of days.

Thumbs up

Crikey, I always thought that 4.4mm was .175", It also why I thought this Healthways Plainsman was called the model .175!!

I bought my lead 4.4mm BB's for the Anschutz 275 from Protek..

By the way, That Haenel mod250 is a beauty!!

John
    for my gunz guitarz and bonzai, see here
    www.flickr.com/photos/8163995@N07/

Haenel 49a

I got couple of Haenel 49a rifles. H&N copper coated ammo from Ramsbottom cycles perfectly. I have had jammed shots when i was using original German bbs so now i bought a big stock from Rams... Give a tin a go then you will know as every barrel is different.

4.3mm or 4.4mm

I have now used both the 4.3mm copper coated and 4.4mm lead balls. The No9 lead balls perform much better. Easily grouping a dozen shots within a 2 - 4" circle. The 4.3mm are much less accurate. i suppose not too bad for a gun that is probably 70 years old.