Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nice Wesley Richards auctioned yesterday in US

Nice Wesley Richards auctioned yesterday in US

Don’t see this every day in the US. I was intrigued cause I could sell the Webley pistol pretty easily but with sellers premium it was over $1500? Nice example serial number 1042

https://imgur.com/a/UiEQO7J

Had it been refinished? I’ve never seen one in that condition
    Morally flawed

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Cornelius View Post
    Had it been refinished? I’ve never seen one in that condition
    Didn’t say that it had and they are very honest with their appraisals? Here is there write up:

OE - GOOD - some minor replacement parts; metal smoothly rusted or lightly pitted in places, cleaned; principal lettering, numerals and design on metal legible; lightly scratched, bruised or minor cracks repaired; in good working order.

I’m sure the condition helped the price, may have been worth it but not to me? And all I had were the pics. Probably best if I held it I probably couldn’t have let go! Lol

I love the evocative Victorian revolver look of the Non - Concentric Highest Possible which was the first Non-Webley air pistol I added to my collection.
    A long time afterwards, I was fortunate enough to add the much rarer 'Concentric' model of which only 100 were ever made. To make sales seem better than they actually were, Westley Richards started at Ser No 1000, so 1055 was only number 55 from the production run. A few years ago, I was offered a Non-Concentric Highest Possible with the same Ser No as my Concentric which would have made a nice pair. If I didn't already own a nice Non-Concentric, I would certainly have gone for it, but decided to keep the one I already had rather than move it on.

Nice Non-Concentrics sell for £800-£1000 here in the UK with the Concentric model fetching nearer £,1500 if you can find one.

Brian

Would it be fair to say you're quite proud of your concentric WR, Brian?

Quite right too, you should be! It's one of the few airguns I'd dearly love to add to my collection - although as you rightly say, the problem is finding one.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

Attended the Ingvar Alm auction in 2019 and though I bought his Tell 3’s, I let this one go? Went for $3400 plus premium and you needed to want 3!?

I know where they went! Unfortunately the new owner loves 'em.

I've asked, more than once...
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

Quote Originally Posted by Garvin View Post
    Would it be fair to say you're quite proud of your concentric WR, Brian?

Quite right too, you should be! It's one of the few airguns I'd dearly love to add to my collection - although as you rightly say, the problem is finding one.
    Hi Danny,
    For me, the attraction is towards items from low production runs rather than the even fewer lower number of prototype models. I normally have to like the appearance of any purchases, but I have made exceptions in the case of the Concentric and the Cogswell & Harrison Certus which wouldn't win any beauty prizes.

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by 45flint View Post
    Attended the Ingvar Alm auction in 2019 and though I bought his Tell 3’s, I let this one go? Went for $3400 plus premium and you needed to want 3!?

Westley Richards and Cogswell and Harrison were acclaimed English sporting gun makers, so it's surprising that they felt the need to briefly dip their toes into the manufacture of air pistols. Although the Non-Concentric Highest Possible sold quite well, the Concentric had no chance of competing with the first Webley Mk1s introduced very soon after it first appeared on the market. Although more were made than the HP Concentric, the Cogswell and Harrison Certus also lost out to Webley, especially with the threat of patent infringement hanging over it.

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Abasmajor View Post
    Hi Danny,
    For me, the attraction is towards items from low production runs rather than the even fewer lower number of prototype models. I normally have to like the appearance of any purchases, but I have made exceptions in the case of the Concentric and the Cogswell & Harrison Certus which wouldn't win any beauty prizes.

Brian
    Your Anson Star is also extraordinarily rare, Brian.

Vintage Airguns Gallery

I love the evocative Victorian revolver look of the Non - Concentric Highest Possible which was the first Non-Webley air pistol I added to my collection.
    A long time afterwards, I was fortunate enough to add the much rarer 'Concentric' model of which only 100 were ever made. To make sales seem better than they actually were, Westley Richards started at Ser No 1000, so 1055 was only number 55 from the production run. A few years ago, I was offered a Non-Concentric Highest Possible with the same Ser No as my Concentric which would have made a nice pair. If I didn't already own a nice Non-Concentric, I would certainly have gone for it, but decided to keep the one I already had rather than move it on.

Nice Non-Concentrics sell for £800-£1000 here in the UK with the Concentric model fetching nearer £,1500 if you can find one.

Brian
    A thing of beauty indeed, never seen one...

Another example of a less than visually appealing early British spring powered air pistol which you really need to include in you collecction.

Brian

Another example of a less than visually appealing early British spring powered air pistol which you really need to include in you collecction.

Brian
    I understand the historical appeal but I have never liked the look of these. They look like something I might knock up on the shed with a hacksaw and a few files.

Whereas the concentric WR I would sell a kidney for.
    Morally flawed

I understand the historical appeal but I have never liked the look of these. They look like something I might knock up on the shed with a hacksaw and a few files.

Same here JC

The Walther LP53 owes much to the Lincoln for its success, so I would agree you have to own one in recognition of its part in air pistol development.

Brian