Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fettling a Brand New Rifle.......

Fettling a Brand New Rifle.......

With all the talk of sleeving to 22mm or other tuning and fettling I'm curious - how many people buy new guns and then first of strip them and tune them or modify them?
    If it has a trigger, I'm gonna enjoy it!

harvey_s is offline Lost love child of David Niven and Victoria Beckham

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    After owning three secondhand HW30 rifles with various degrees of galling, poorly fitted cocking lever tips etc, I bought a new HW30S and did not even fire it once before strupping it down and deburring all the sharp edges and filing the cocking lever so it cleared the cylinder. Relubed and reassembled.

Invalidated the warranty but it has been gall-free and smooth as glass every since. It's one of the very few rifles I've bought new, I usually let someone else deal with the teething problems...

Jesim1 is offline Likes to wear driving gloves in the bedroom
    I'd always try it out just for the hell of it, but some guns you just know run better in a tuned state - like all of them actually

I've never bought a new springer as they will undoubtedly get worked on, so I have bought fixer uppers or tuned ones as I grudge paying new money and then another £100+ getting it tuned
    Making a mockery of growing old gracefully since I retired

My hw77 had enough pellets through it out the box to confirm it shot straight before it was reduced to its component parts on the bench. Same going to happen to a 98 once I've finished fettling an old super meteor. Half the fun with springers is tinkering with them.
    Be good. And if you can't be good, be good at being bad.

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    you can buy guns new ?
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

I usually dont buy brand new rifles... they are second hand the moment you have paid for them, so why not just buy them second hand in the first place?

Bought a brand new HW50s/99 that was galling so bad when I got it, I only cocked and fired it once before taking it apart to fix the galling issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Shed tuner View Post
    you can buy guns new ?
    A good friend of mine runs a gunstore, and needs some help from time to time.. the only pay I get is really good prices on new airguns.
    But buying new guns means they will be second hand the moment you have paid for them anyway, so your point is valid

From what I can tell, Most new guns will benefit from a good fettle, That's cleaning, lubing or replacing parts, Most older guns will do with a good old clean and polish,

I haven't ever, personally, fettled a new rifle without first using it, but can appreciate why, on some models, some people might.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

Me & a mate both bought new AA MPR's (in '07 - when they were new) and both were stripped before we had put a pellet through either of them

not bought a new airrifle since & still got that MPR

Rich.
    Rich. https://i.imgur.com/6sXOoGi.jpg my MPR's & mk1 TX200
    repeat Burris owner (now have 8)

I usually give a couple of pellets to clear the barrel. Then a couple over the chronometer. Then take it too bits, deburr polish and decide what bits it needs. Top hats etc.
    Repariere nicht, was nicht kaputtist.

I have to take a look inside and when it's in bits a clean and new lube cant hurt ...

I can wholeheartedly understand the fascination with extracting the last ounce of performance out of an item and the expertise that goes with it but, with the exception of one rifle that I owned which was a 99s, all my HW's have failed to disappoint in shooting experience, accuracy, and smoothness of shot cycle. Other than routine and easily accessible maintenance I simply leave them alone and just shoot the life out of them.

I imagine I have either been lucky or have low standards, I will leave you to decide .

Oh! the 99s! I did indeed take it to bits but sold all the items individually and broke even.

Fettling.....

Well thanks for the info and insight,

I trowellised a Webley hawk piston for a full week once and Ive replaced a couple of springs over the years but have not gone to the extent you guys have

I have a few that are now coming round to needing bew seals, springs and a lube and have the bits, just struggeling with the time.
    If it has a trigger, I'm gonna enjoy it!