Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Fettling a Brand New Rifle.......

Quote Originally Posted by Portzy View Post
    Oh! the 99s! I did indeed take it to bits but sold all the items individually and broke even.
    Custom BSA S10 .22 PAX Phoenix Mk 2 .22 Custom Titan Manitou .22 (JB BP) HW77 .22 FWB Sport Mk1 .22 Sharp Ace .22 Crossman 600 .22 Berretta 92 .20 Desert Eagle .177

Quote Originally Posted by Portzy View Post
    I can wholeheartedly understand the fascination with extracting the last ounce of performance out of an item and the expertise that goes with it but, with the exception of one rifle that I owned which was a 99s, all my HW's have failed to disappoint in shooting experience, accuracy, and smoothness of shot cycle. Other than routine and easily accessible maintenance I simply leave them alone and just shoot the life out of them.

I imagine I have either been lucky or have low standards, I will leave you to decide .

Oh! the 99s! I did indeed take it to bits but sold all the items individually and broke even.
    Best thing to do to a 99 is to break it up in to bits. They have a following and understand that. But the gauling issues are not s good thing on a respected brand. Hw95 is my fave along with the hw80.

harvey_s is offline Lost love child of David Niven and Victoria Beckham
    Quote Originally Posted by WILBA View Post
    Best thing to do to a 99 is to break it up in to bits. They have a following and understand that. But the gauling issues are not s good thing on a respected brand. Hw95 is my fave along with the hw80.
    I've read accounts of other HW models galling as well, so it's not just the 99's and not all of them are affected either.

Only once bought a brand new rifle - an HW - returned it under warranty 'cos it was rubbish. Came back a bit better...
    I notice HW's feature large in this sort of thread. Really don't understand why a 'premium' type gun like this needs to be ripped apart (invalidating the warranty) out of the box.
    Don't get me wrong - best gun I ever had was a newish early 77, & my s/hand '80's 35 is lovely. Smooth to cock & a nudge on firing - thought it was underpowered at first but found out it had been worked on.
    Webley Mk3 x2, Falcon & Junior rifles, HW35x2, AirSporter x2, Gold Star, Meteors x2, Diana 25. SMK B19, Webley Senior, Premier, Hurricane x 2, Tempest, Dan Wesson 8", Crosman 3576, Legends PO8.

Quote Originally Posted by harvey_s View Post
    I've read accounts of other HW models galling as well, so it's not just the 99's and not all of them are affected either.
    The 99 has been the worst by far. Using a derlin wear plane instead of correcting the original fault is cutting corners to save cash in my eyes. They have know about the fault on this model since it came out but have still not looked at Changing the cocking lever design.