Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Which new quality break barrel?

Which new quality break barrel?

I have a hankering for a new breakbarrel. .177, probably carbine.

Fancied an LGV master pro, but seems that’s no longer available? If secondhand, what’s the difference between the master and the master pro? I have a Terrus, but the trigger is appalling. Is the master better?

Didn’t get on with a HW95k for some reason.

I like the look of the HW98, and might borrow a .22 version for a play this week.

I have no other ideas! Please help. I have a short stroked TX200, and I’m willing to tune to get the same sort of smoothness.
    And day by day and dauntingly, Our anger does increase. While you ruin us through ignorance,
    How can we keep our peace?

The LGV trigger is very good. Although, as standard, most would say not as good as the Rekord or CD. The LGV's action is superb with the 25mm internals and synthetic bearings.

HW98 is lovely.

The 80 is a modern classic. A tough powerhouse. But, maybe, in standard guise, lacking a little finesse compared to rifles with smaller cylinder bores.

Diana 280 and 34 series also excellent.

The Weihrauch HW99S is a sweet shooting, accurate little bundle of joy. But may require a little hand finishing and attention to the cocking arm. Brilliant once done and able to compete with anything. Stunning value too.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

Diana 34.

Quote Originally Posted by TonyL View Post
    The LGV trigger is very good. Although, as standard, most would say not as good as the Rekord or CD. The LGV's action is superb with the 25mm internals and synthetic bearings.

HW98 is lovely.

The 80 is a modern classic. A tough powerhouse. But, maybe, in standard guise, lacking a little finesse compared to rifles with smaller cylinder bores.

Diana 280 and 34 series also excellent.

The Weihrauch HW99S is a sweet shooting, accurate little bundle of joy. But may require a little hand finishing and attention to the cocking arm. Brilliant once done and able to compete with anything. Stunning value too.
    The hw99 is also a very good gate post as you can see tony is a very big wine rack fan thinking about it the 99 stock has the makings of a nice wine rack to store my fave tipple in

Yep, I'll not even start to try and deny it.......I'm a huge Weihrauch fan. Based on many years of sterling service and superb performance. Many of the new 99s, with the new style cocking arm, have required zero attention. With mine, I just whipped the stock off and applied a little moly paste to the underside of the lever and the cocking shoe "foot" and it was job done. Others have done the mods which are simple. Now detailed on the Tinbum Tuning video.

Once done the little 99, itself priced competitively towards the "budget" end is an accurate, forgiving and very refined little rifle. Employing the renowned Rekord trigger, superb barrel, solid barrel lock up and excellent standard of finish, the little 99 has it all. What's not to like?

Custom Stocks now also offer off-the-shelf "custom" walnut stocks for them.

I once saw a video featuring Tony Wall from Sandwell Field Sports showing the new cocking arm for the 99. He was a critic of the rifle in its earlier form. He now rates and trusts this super little rifle.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.

I once saw a video featuring Tony Wall from Sandwell Field Sports showing the new cocking arm for the 99. He was a critic of the rifle in its earlier form. He now rates and trusts this super little rifle.
    New as of late or the one with the delrin insert some years ago?

Ah, sorry. The newer one, with the delrin insert.. Introduced around 2013/14-ish?

Ah, sorry. The newer one, with the delrin insert.. Introduced around 2013/14-ish?
    And when the delrin insert wears you are back to having a grinding cocking action. Why they do not manufactiure a new cocking arm i cannot understand. They know its a fault and will not change the arm design. Id never buy one personally. Hw95 is just as good.

BB

HI IF, any were near me, i'v a few Diana's, a couple tuned [ vmach.177 34cpp, SFS .22 280 ] plus another two non tuned, that your welcome to try /loan, cheers, Den.

I would definitely consider a HW 99.

There's actually very little choice if you want a decent trigger. HW80, 95, 98 or 99. Diana 34 or 280 though the latest Diana's only have basic stock's these days. The Walthers were very good but the LGV's seem to of disappeared somewhat
    Plinkerer and Tinkerer

Thanks for all the above, it's useful. I will get a HW of some decription and keep my eye open for a second hand Walther LGV- no idea why but I feel like I have to try one.

And day by day and dauntingly, Our anger does increase. While you ruin us through ignorance,

Quote Originally Posted by basa View Post
    HI IF, any were near me, i'v a few Diana's, a couple tuned [ vmach.177 34cpp, SFS .22 280 ] plus another two non tuned, that your welcome to try /loan, cheers, Den.
    Really kind offer but sadly distance is a bit far!

Personally in .177 I'd go for a heavier gun, walther century would be up there for me. Apart from checking the spring hasn't been badly chopped theres nothing to do on it, unlike virtually any other Springer break barrel you will buy new.

HW98. The one I have is the most accurate air rifle I have and I love shooting it. The new model with the laminated stock looks good. I used mine unfettled for a quite a while but more recently got it tuned, but although the tuning is good there really was nothing too wrong with the standard rifle. Another one to consider is the HW30S as per another recent thread.
    when there's lead in the air there's hope!