Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Which new quality break barrel?

This thread just illustrates the demise of the quality springer (esp break-barrel ones).

I’d like to say that shows an opportunity in the market, but I think rather it shows the inevitable contraction of that market.

Get them while you can!

Quote Originally Posted by Geezer View Post
    This thread just illustrates the demise of the quality springer (esp break-barrel ones).

I’d like to say that shows an opportunity in the market, but I think rather it shows the inevitable contraction of that market.

Get them while you can!
    What's wrong with the break barrels mentioned? I must admit I've moved away from springers over the years to PCP, the only ones I own are break barrels, hard to beat the simplicity for all shooting disciplines. I've three break barrels for clients on order through my rfd at the moment for affordable plinking and hunting. Gateway hobby products will always be in demand for aslong as the hobby exists.

Quote Originally Posted by peddy View Post
    What's wrong with the break barrels mentioned?
    Nothing.

But the Diana range is shrinking fast and their future is questionable. The LGV is apparently no more. As are good break-barrels from Webley, BSA, BSF, Anschutz, FWB. Not long ago you’d have had twenty good choices. Now, it’s about six. The trend is clear.

Nothing.

But the Diana range is shrinking fast and their future is questionable. The LGV is apparently no more. As are good break-barrels from Webley, BSA, BSF, Anschutz, FWB. Not long ago you’d have had twenty good choices. Now, it’s about six. The trend is clear.
    When I started with break barrels some 40 years ago take away the hws and original/Diana's still available today, I can only think of the webley omega and fwb sport capable of enough accuracy and power for hunting with, the rest were shoddy( never got to own a bsf). I suppose it comes down to what's deemed as quality, theres plenty of break barrels out there capable of tight groups at full power for around £200.

Nothing.

A shrinking pool. A flick through Walters book with an eye on whats currently in production is a glum endeavour.
    There's a actually plenty wrong with many of the beakbarrels mentioned. And very little wrong with others.

Quote Originally Posted by peddy View Post
    When I started with break barrels some 40 years ago take away the hws and original/Diana's still available today, I can only think of the webley omega and fwb sport capable of enough accuracy and power for hunting with, the rest were shoddy( never got to own a bsf). I suppose it comes down to what's deemed as quality, theres plenty of break barrels out there capable of tight groups at full power for around £200.
    There were many British full power rifles that provided enough accuracy for humane hunting., besides the Webley Omega. There were also Anschutz 333/335's, the BSF's, Haenels (no powehouses but well made and accurate), CZ (ditto)'s and various other Eastern European rifles that were well represented with local shooters in my area but long since sent out of production.
    And there were many other oddities, that didn't account for many rabbits and rats but knocked down a lot of tin cans and punched through paper pretty well.
    Last edited by Drew451; 28-02-2021 at 01:51 AM.

I would never part with my 97, I’ll change my PCP’s but not my springer which is just as accurate if not more so, everyone should have a springer as well as a PCP
    I wouldn’t mind another LGV they’re a great gun but heavy and also having a heavy 97 I will buy a 99 has my next gun based purely on weight and having a good trigger.

Quote Originally Posted by Doobin View Post
    I have a hankering for a new breakbarrel. .177, probably carbine.

Fancied an LGV master pro, but seems that’s no longer available? If secondhand, what’s the difference between the master and the master pro? I have a Terrus, but the trigger is appalling. Is the master better?

Didn’t get on with a HW95k for some reason.

I like the look of the HW98, and might borrow a .22 version for a play this week.

I have no other ideas! Please help. I have a short stroked TX200, and I’m willing to tune to get the same sort of smoothness.
    Quote Originally Posted by michaelrb1 View Post
    I would never part with my 97, I’ll change my PCP’s but not my springer which is just as accurate if not more so, everyone should have a springer as well as a PCP
    I wouldn’t mind another LGV they’re a great gun but heavy and also having a heavy 97 I will buy a 99 has my next gun based purely on weight and having a good trigger.
    You may find that you like the 99 after a while more than the 97 for everyday use.

The Walther terrus is an excellent Hw99s equivalent, I’ve had both and the Walther was every bit as good and possibly better than the 99 as it doesn’t have the cocking link problem and also has a better stock with proper comb height for a scope so worth a look if you’d like a middleweight break barell...Sorry, I see you already have a terrus, the trigger on mine was very good and I couldn’t tell it apart from the rekord in every day use to be honest...

Quote Originally Posted by elewis411 View Post
    The Walther terrus is an excellent Hw99s equivalent, I’ve had both and the Walther was every bit as good and possibly better than the 99 as it doesn’t have the cocking link problem and also has a better stock with proper comb height for a scope so worth a look if you’d like a middleweight break barell...Sorry, I see you already have a terrus, the trigger on mine was very good and I couldn’t tell it apart from the rekord in every day use to be honest...
    I might have a bad one then, but even after a polish of the sears it's pretty naff IMHO.
    And day by day and dauntingly, Our anger does increase. While you ruin us through ignorance,
    How can we keep our peace?

Quote Originally Posted by elewis411 View Post
    Had two 99s over the years brought new and never had a problem with cocking link no scouring when dismantled.

Quote Originally Posted by charlie1 View Post
    Had two 99s over the years brought new and never had a problem with cocking link no scouring when dismantled.
    It’s a strange one, 2 that I’ve owned over the years have had the problem but for some reason it doesn’t seem to affect every example as others I’ve owned were fine, maybe down to manufacturing inconsistencies...

The Hw99s set up nicely shoot well above their price range, and are well worth considering.
    I have the LGV Master pro in .177 , my one shoots nice and smooth,with minimal recoil.
    The trigger on my Lgv needed some adjustment until I was happy with it, but is more than acceptable for my needs.
    If you can pick one up,they are a nice addition.
    Don’t discount some of the older classic guns, like the Webley Longbow or Tomahawk, although they are getting harder to come by and very collectible.
    Good luck with what ever you choose.
    Atb
    Les..

The original post mentions "quality" break barrel.
    With todays standards and build quality, really, there isn't any.
    So, with that in mind, is there a Market for such a tool that a manufacturer would invest in?
    A break barrel with a quality stock and the ability to shoot how you want it too without junking the internals would probably cost £550+
    Personally I would, id love a spotter walnut stock, 10-12" Match grade barrel, match trigger, very fast lock time, and PCP challenging accuracy.
    I think I have just described Theoben/HW95 Lazaglided hybrid!!!
    VAYA CON DIOS

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    Quote Originally Posted by gsxrman View Post
    Personally I would, id love a spotter walnut stock, 10-12" Match grade barrel, match trigger, very fast lock time, and PCP challenging accuracy.
    I think I have just described Theoben/HW95 Lazaglided hybrid!!!
    nah, you've just described a reduced cylinder HW80
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.