Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Which new quality break barrel?

Quote Originally Posted by gsxrman View Post
    The original post mentions "quality" break barrel.
    With todays standards and build quality, really, there isn't any.
    So, with that in mind, is there a Market for such a tool that a manufacturer would invest in?
    A break barrel with a quality stock and the ability to shoot how you want it too without junking the internals would probably cost £550+
    Personally I would, id love a spotter walnut stock, 10-12" Match grade barrel, match trigger, very fast lock time, and PCP challenging accuracy.
    I think I have just described Theoben/HW95 Lazaglided hybrid!!!
    Sounds like a GTS recoilless break barrel to me
    Although you might have to bump up the budget a bit.

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    Quote Originally Posted by cooper_dan View Post
    Sounds like a GTS recoilless break barrel to me
    Although you might have to bump up the budget a bit.
    when you get your finger out we'll start buying them
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

People rarely mention the HW35 on threads like this. I've had a modern HW35K in .177, and it was accurate, but I've not used the 95, 98 or 99, so cannot compare. I guess the 35 is considered to have had its day, has it?

Matt

Quote Originally Posted by Shed tuner View Post
    when you get your finger out we'll start buying them
    I've been pretty bad recently but I'll update that old post later today when bub goes to bed.
    New cocking linkages are here and I've been assembling them today. Also started on the new piston today. Action should be ready for next round of testing next weekend. Bought 20k pellets to put through it.
    The stock (modified tx200) is basically done, although it's not very pretty!

Looking forward to more news and updates as they arrive, Dan.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

Quote Originally Posted by Nikkormat View Post
    People rarely mention the HW35 on threads like this. I've had a modern HW35K in .177, and it was accurate, but I've not used the 95, 98 or 99, so cannot compare. I guess the 35 is considered to have had its day, has it?

Matt
    In my view (and a good few many other people's), the HW35 certainly has NOT had its day.

It may sport an "unfashionable" short stroke/ wide bore layout, but this venerable old classic can still show the young guns how it's done. It has to be considered excellent value these days, being priced at a lower level than the 95 and 80. It features that very mature and refined manual barrel latch, superb barrel, rock solid build and benchmark Rekord trigger. For sub-12 use, many tuners, if not reducing the bore, reduce the stroke on the HW80 to mimic the 35. The 80's a little more efficient, owing to the shorter transfer port.

I love all of my 35s. And I have shot some beautifully tuned ones to various different recipes by our very own guru, T20.....rotating piston, conventional, 'O' ring, parachute seal and a reduced cylinder HW/LGV hybrid. All lovely.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.

Quote Originally Posted by Nikkormat View Post

Matt
    If the HW35K's now are anything like the .177 I bought a few years back 'quality' is not a word I'd use. Don't get me wrong, my early 77 & '80's HW35 were/are great.
    Webley Mk3 x2, Falcon & Junior rifles, HW35x2, AirSporter x2, Gold Star, Meteors x2, Diana 25. SMK B19, Webley Senior, Premier, Hurricane x 2, Tempest, Dan Wesson 8", Crosman 3576, Legends PO8.

I think we all have different experiences with these things.

I bought a new HW35E a few months back from Krale, I’d always wanted one so took the plunge. I wasn’t expecting much, so many reports of it being long in the tooth and struggling to get over 10 ft lbs etc....but mine seem pretty good. It’s .22 and doing a very respectable 11.5’ish and it seems well put together.

Having said that I wouldn’t rule out the 99s, it’s a belter. Every time i shoot it I’m amazed at how efficient this little, lightweight rifle is. Mine is .177, had nothing done to it and running around 11.4 with JSB RS

Forgot to mention the 35 in my earlier post but to me the 35e is one of the nicest things HW produce
    Plinkerer and Tinkerer

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    the latter synthetic sealed (slightly longer stroked) HW35s, with non-leaking breaches do shoot very nicely, and I'd certainly consider getting a 16" barreled one if I was looking to buy new and not modify.
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

How do the 35’s shoot in. .177 straight from the box, been thinking of trying one for a while now but it would have to be .177

Quote Originally Posted by Shed tuner View Post
    the latter synthetic sealed (slightly longer stroked) HW35s, with non-leaking breaches do shoot very nicely, and I'd certainly consider getting a 16" barreled one if I was looking to buy new and not modify.
    Very heartening to hear this from one of our most esteemed shed tuners.

Quote Originally Posted by elewis411 View Post
    How do the 35’s shoot in. .177 straight from the box, been thinking of trying one for a while now but it would have to be .177
    Pretty nicely.. For quite some time now HW have used the two-piece guide which bestows nicer manners than the older steel guide. If the spring's a decent fit it will be very refined. They make the power easily and are very accurate. If you were unlucky and the spring to guide fit was loose, just a little hand finishing and snugly fitting guide and top hat will result in a very refined shooting machine.

Quote Originally Posted by cooper_dan View Post
    I've been pretty bad recently but I'll update that old post later today when bub goes to bed.
    New cocking linkages are here and I've been assembling them today. Also started on the new piston today. Action should be ready for next round of testing next weekend. Bought 20k pellets to put through it.
    The stock (modified tx200) is basically done, although it's not very pretty!
    Could you personally design and build a non galling fix for the 99 as a side line, then we can all live happily ever after.

Quote Originally Posted by Carl2 View Post
    Could you personally design and build a non galling fix for the 99 as a side line, then we can all live happily ever after.
    Haha I'm sure there are plenty of people who could offer this already! I've never even picked up a HW99. Already got an overflowing gun rack so I probably won't be owning one anytime in the near future