Thread: Bell Target

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Bell Target

In its heyday what would have been the gun choices ? Was BSA the more popular gun of choice or maybe Gem, Britannia or German imports?
    Anybody have copies of records of guns used?
    Fascinating history but not a lot of information about..
    John

Bell target has always fascinated me, I enjoy the challenge and the thought of the history behind it all
    it was and I suppose to some lesser degree it still is quite big in England but for some reason it's almost non existent in Scotland...
    Was it only an English pastime?

While researching my Britannia video, which also covers some of the history of early bell target, I found a record that said in the National Air rifle championships of 1908, out of 940 competitors 936 used a Lincoln Jeffries BSA underlver.
    https://youtu.be/hVYnb4fDzU4
    I think BSA had the market pretty much tied up.

Still prefer my Britannia though.

Matt

Not a lot of information out there that I can find. www.belltarget.com is a useful site that has a pdf file of a very interesting book "ring my bell" by Frank Spittle (apparently no longer available).
    Couldn`t find any mention of bell target in the north of England or Scotland, seems to be mostly around Birmingham/midlands area .

Matt`s video on you tube is an excellent piece of work and well worth a watch if you haven`t seen it already. Can`t be that many Britannias kicking about now and probably more expensive now

Seems to be a bit of a resurgence going on at the moment with a few new clubs starting up, good to see ,especially if the old vintage rifles get an "airing".

John

http://www.belltarget.com/resources/...rget_Story.pdf

Bell target was well established before BSA began production of the Lincoln Jeffries type. I have seen a couple of photos from around 1900 where the participants appear to be using a mixture of Militias and Gems but I can't locate the photos now. Last week, someone on the other forum sold a militia that was marked up as a Lincoln Jeffries so I presume he sold them for target use before his own design came into fruition.
    Last edited by WebleyWombler; 27-02-2021 at 12:01 PM.

@WebleyWombler would love to see any old photos if you ever find them.
    Looks like I need more time on the vintage airgun gallery, excellent site with an awful lot of information.
    John