Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can the ball catch on a underlever affect the POI

Barryg is offline Registered ̶D̶i̶a̶n̶a̶ User

Can the ball catch on a underlever affect the POI

Just been reading on another forum by someone who knows his stuff, he says that the ball catches on underlevers cause stress affecting the POI and a magnet would would give zero stress.

I have not thought about this before, what do you guys think?

Surely if that was so, the stress would be a constant factor and so have an equal effect on all shots resulting in a zero overall effect as it would be catered for in the zeroing process..
    And the fact that so many underlevers have won prizes in the right hands makes me think that the comment is incorrect.

Does he also use the same argument against the break barrel detent lock?
    Cheers, Phil

Really ?

You can't doubt the accuracy of 77,s and TX, s.
    LOOKING FOR A BSA ULTRA IN .177 and .25

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Russell View Post
    Surely if that was so, the stress would be a constant factor and so have an equal effect on all shots resulting in a zero overall effect as it would be catered for in the zeroing process..
    And the fact that so many underlevers have won prizes in the right hands makes me think that the comment is incorrect.

Does he also use the same argument against the break barrel detent lock?
    Cheers, Phil
    That is what I was thinking

This the quote from a thread by Hector Medina in a thread.

(because we are borrowing the 470 style muzzle piece, the lever is held in place by two ball detentes that put pressure on the lever SIDEWAYS, which is the position that least affects the POI.

If you REALLY want a ZERO stress lever holding system it will be easy to remove the spring loaded balls and insert a powerful magnet into the muzzle piece.)

It just got me thinking and thought it was worth asking you guys what you thought. Perhaps I have misunderstood what he is saying .

Sounds like Hector has identified something that is a thing, but isn’t a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Geezer View Post
    Sounds like Hector has identified something that is a thing, but isn’t a problem.
    I can understand that stress on the linkage could be a problem but never thought about the lever its self

Captain Bongo is offline I'm not falling for this again........
    Maybe it is just the Diana 470 that is inferior? As Trumpetier said, the TX200 and HW77/97 are renowned for consistency. If it was an issue people would prefer one type of underlever catch over another on the HW77, but to my knowledge, nobody really seems to express a preference.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Bongo View Post
    Maybe it is just the Diana 470 that is inferior? As Trumpetier said, the TX200 and HW77/97 are renowned for consistency. If it was an issue people would prefer one type of underlever catch over another on the HW77, but to my knowledge, nobody really seems to express a preference.
    The only thing is that the 470 has the best cocking lever ever no play at all and the linkage is spring closing at the breech and gives amazing fps consistency so not inferior, he is talking about the stress of the ball catch affecting the POI.

I bought a D46 quite a few years ago that had obviously seen a fair amount of use and the underlever lock up that you refer to had become a little weak (not a great design by Diana).
    Occasionally the underlever would drop out following firing and I subsequently purchased a strong rare earth mini magnet from a certain auction site and used a two part epoxy glue to attach this to the barrel. It works very effectively and the lever never drops out.
    I'm really unsure that this arrangement adds anything to the accuracy but doubt it. It does make for a far more positive lock up however.
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Geezer View Post
    sounds like he's invented a magnetic catch and wants to flog a few .

Antoni is online now There's nothing cushy about life in the Women's Auxiliary Balloon Corps!
    My two pen'orth would be that a strong magnet would attract ferrous muck and dust like a magnet.
    P1V1overT1=P2V2overT2

Quote Originally Posted by hmangphilly View Post
    sounds like he's invented a magnetic catch and wants to flog a few .
    LOOKING FOR A BSA ULTRA IN .177 and .25

Quote Originally Posted by Barryg View Post
    Just been reading on another forum by someone who knows his stuff, he says that the ball catches on underlevers cause stress affecting the POI and a magnet would would give zero stress.

I have not thought about this before, what do you guys think?

I've never caught my balls in an underlever, but I must admit that if I did I'm sure it would cause stress and put me off aim.

Hope this helps

All the best Mick

Quote Originally Posted by Antoni View Post
    My two pen'orth would be that a strong magnet would attract ferrous muck and dust like a magnet.
    And magnetize the metal it is attached to, along with causing a magnetic field.
    Hw77+7

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    I replaced my TX catch with a magnetic arrangement years ago, and it had no effect. So it put it back to std. I think we had a thread on here.. so long ago I;ve forgetten.
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.