Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hw30 - Stainless

Hw30 - Stainless

Has anyone else got one of these? Mine has the synthetic stock and although I initially intended changing to wood the synthetic stock has grown on me and is very comfortable to hold. It is the. 22 version and shoots at a consistent 8ft/lbs with both RS and Express. Has anyone fitted the Indian piston with the rear guide?

I fitted an Indian piston to one long ago. From memory a spring change was required as the piston id changed. Sadly, Target tune is no more after the death of the founder a few years ago. To be honest, for all the outlay, not very different against a well fettled standard hw30.

Yep, a mildly "blueprinted" action is all that is required. Very sad news re Target Tune a few years back.

One of my 30s is also the synthetic stocked one. Love it. Blued steel action, though.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

Hi Tony, as many have said it really is a very underrated rifle. I intend similarly to others to keep it purely open sights.

Yes, they really are little jewels.

I bought my first one 11 years ago and was stunned. At the time, leading up to my first purchase (I have four of them now), I found it most encouraging how highly many US users rate them, in the land of (mainly) no power limits.

If you haven't, as yet, come across his reviews, look up "Dave's Airgun Reviews" by Dave Hoffman. A very heartwarming review on the little 30 there.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.

Ive pimped mine up at bit for 10m shooting. Cheap butt hook, s/h Anschutz sight, brass trigger, guard (and now safety catch). Modified trigger and slightly tuned.
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

That is lovely, Ian.

Great little guns.

You do know that it’s what HW call “stainless finish”?

It’s not actual stainless steel, but regular steel with electroless nickel plating on it.

That’s actually a good thing (stainless is not a great idea for a gun, but nickel plating is).

But the marketing slightly annoys me.

Quote Originally Posted by TonyL View Post
    That is lovely, Ian.
    Also shoots well. Rested, over 10m I scored a 49 ex 50 so the rifle is well capable (pity Im not. ).

Quote Originally Posted by I. J. View Post
    Also shoots well. Rested, over 10m I scored a 49 ex 50 so the rifle is well capable (pity Im not. ).

Very nice.

Damned 69,

As the OEM spring was very 'S'-shaped, and the OEM guide did not fit at all, I fitted a Vortek PG2 kit into my 0.177" HW30S, and it now shoots sublimely.

Have fun

Best regards

Russ

Quote Originally Posted by Geezer View Post
    Great little guns.

You do know that it’s what HW call “stainless finish”?

It’s not actual stainless steel, but regular steel with electroless nickel plating on it.

That’s actually a good thing (stainless is not a great idea for a gun, but nickel plating is).

But the marketing slightly annoys me.
    Apart from stainless adding weight what would be the other negatives in using it in guns? Assuming strength or wear resistance or being to soft are your reasons as well as being bloody expensive also.

Quote Originally Posted by I. J. View Post

Awesome.

A fellow club member and friend, Dave Pilky, picked up my rifle and took one shot at 10m and did a perfect 10 first shot. The paper target was on the club notice board for ages until we recently did a full indoor range refurb.

ATB
    Ian

Very sorry to open this can of worms yet again. Can galling be eliminated on these guns permanently with the well documented techniques or is an on going preventative schedule required? I really would like to purchase one but simply can't be bother if I have to constantly monitor this issue.