Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Can the ball catch on a underlever affect the POI

Yes, I remember there being such a thread, Jon. Can't remember the outcome. Very possibly much the same as this time around. As said up above, rifles like the TX and HW77/97 have been the mainstay of the vast majority of shooters partaking in springer FT / HFT, so just shoot and enjoy.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

Quote Originally Posted by T 20 View Post
    I've never caught my balls in an underlever, but I must admit that if I did I'm sure it would cause stress and put me off aim.

Hope this helps

All the best Mick
    Wot, a bit like losing a finger in the sliding comp tube? Think that'd spoil the shot somewhat!
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.

Quote Originally Posted by TonyL View Post
    Wot, a bit like losing a finger in the sliding comp tube? Think that'd spoil the shot somewhat!
    Some things should not be mentioned, you know what will happen
    Hw77+7

I have magnets on my ally gun but couldn't say if they are any better or worse as that's how it's been since I built it , it is very nice to use however.

Quote Originally Posted by Barryg View Post
    Just been reading on another forum by someone who knows his stuff, he says that the ball catches on underlevers cause stress affecting the POI...
    I think that would have been a perfectly reasonable question at the time of the launch of the HW77 but, even two or three years down the line when the '77 had been trouncing virtually everything else on the FT circuit, the question had answered itself.

To ask it what, 37 years later?

Quote Originally Posted by HW55T View Post
    Some things should not be mentioned, you know what will happen
    You know it.

flyingfish is online now I may only have 5 but I have the best 5
    I have seen a well known tuner talking about this on his Facebook group. They seem to work but I cannot see them making my TX200s or HW97 more accurate
    Pete

Quote Originally Posted by T 20 View Post
    I've never caught my balls in an underlever, but I must admit that if I did I'm sure it would cause stress and put me off aim.

Hope this helps

All the best Mick
    I will save you trying , nearly lost the tip of my finger with a relum tornado . caught between the lever and barrel when closing the lever.

don't want to do it again or have any one go through it .

a fingers bad enough but balls is another level altogether

I think what Hector is saying is it will change the POI, not the group size so, even if the mechanism on the TX200 etc. does change the POI it does not matter so much as the dispersion will be much the same. A slight change in the scope aimpoint will bring the POI back into position.

Of course anyone who believes barrel harmonics play a significant part in airgun dispersion would also argue that the load from the spring ball would change the barrel vibration and in that way change dispersion.

I'm going to fit magnets to my car door. Every time I open and close it my wheels go out of alignment.

A solution looking for a problem IMO

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    Quote Originally Posted by ballisticboy View Post
    I think what Hector is saying is it will change the POI, not the group size so, even if the mechanism on the TX200 etc. does change the POI it does not matter so much as the dispersion will be much the same. A slight change in the scope aimpoint will bring the POI back into position.
    yeah, exactly. the catch is very consistent, and the forces very small compared with the stiffness of the barrel.
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.